Incandescent Rope Lighting IS NOT Dead ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Recently, most all threads involving the back lighting of Screens have revolved around the use of LED strip lighting.

While such lighting has some distinct advantage and features, one thing it lacks is affordability.

Blow are a few individual images of a 2.35:1 screen (126" diagonal) surrounded by 5.25" Velvet Wrapped Trim. Two strands of Red Incandescent Rope Lighting, each 18' in length were combined, with the excess length enclosed into the wall. A Lutron Maestro Remote Control Dimmer was used to selectively tailor the amount of light at any given instance.

Total cost.....$100.00

In the first image below, as well as the last image (in the triple collage) show the lighting dimmed at less than 1/2 full illumination

Projector is a Panasonic AE8000u
Screen is a Silver Fire 2.5 2.0

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just a inexpensive rope light mounted behind our screen it is plugged into a smart surge protector that my receiver triggers to turn on when It turns on. I used to have green LED Christmas lights but took those out when I redid my setup. I usually pick up the lights after Christmas when they are clearanced out smile.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM

Liked: 16
I'd imagine you could do the rope lights for far less than $100. That's more than what I spent for the entire RGB LED setup including the power supply and controller. It looks like zenscope found a source for the whole setup around $50 too. That's not bad for cuttable, controllable LED lights. Of course outside of having company over, mine usually stay on "white" at the dimmest setting. At the end of the day I think any sort of bias lighting will get the job done of adding a really great look to the screen and reducing eye strain.

My theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484121/my-led-backlit-zero-frame-project
Epson 5020ub /Denon AVR-2113ci / Darbee DVP5000/Definitive Tech SM 350 + Mythos 3 Center + 2 Klipsch RW-12D Subs / Custom 20TB Ubuntu Server + Win 7 HTPC/ Xbox 360 / OUYA / iRule Pro Controlled/120" Screen (16x9)
post #4 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

davemex,

Don't just tout about what you found....LINK US.... Baby!

Keep in mind that the lights above consisted of 2 separate strands of 18' lights equaling 36' of Lighting and a $39.95 Remote Controlled Programmable Dimmer Switch
The price also included 5 - 6' lengths of Plastic "U" Channel at $4.99 ea.

It's great if prices for both "almost" infinitely adjustable LED Strands and Color Light Controllers are dropping so significantly.

Share the Love.......cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 AM

Here's what zenscope found and used in his project: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151084098687
That'll get you 10 meters of 5050 LED rope (the brighter kind sold), a 44 key controller, and power supply for around $40.

I used two of these these 16' strips: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=073-076 which at the time included the 44 key remote too but you had to buy a $10 power supply separately. That ended up a little over $60.

Since both of those include a remote that will dim the lights etc. that's kind of a steal since that remote dimmer on the rope light cost nearly $40. The LED rope is adhesive backed too, getting rid of the need for the u-channel. I will say though that the adhesive wasn't as strong as I would have liked, causing the bottom rope to fall over time. Nothing a little double sided adhesive tape didn't fix though!

My theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484121/my-led-backlit-zero-frame-project
Epson 5020ub /Denon AVR-2113ci / Darbee DVP5000/Definitive Tech SM 350 + Mythos 3 Center + 2 Klipsch RW-12D Subs / Custom 20TB Ubuntu Server + Win 7 HTPC/ Xbox 360 / OUYA / iRule Pro Controlled/120" Screen (16x9)
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I thought the lights in reference were multi-color capable since you stated they had a "controller", and that is why I was certain there was a large disparity in prices. If such is not the case....al the "mo bedder" !cool.gif

I'll have to acquire some for my current Home Show Theater project for the side lighting I plan to install at the conjunction of the Knee wall / Sloped Ceiling.

Who knows but there still might be an Obituary and Epitaph to compose after all. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I thought the lights in reference were multi-color capable since you stated they had a "controller", and that is why I was certain there was a large disparity in prices. If such is not the case....al the "mo bedder" !cool.gif

I'll have to acquire some for my current Home Show Theater project for the side lighting I plan to install at the conjunction of the Knee wall / Sloped Ceiling.

Who knows but there still might be an Obituary and Epitaph to compose after all. biggrin.gif

Haha I'll keep an eye out for that obit. Just for the record, both of the lights listed above are indeed multi color capable. While I haven't used the ebay ones, the second ones are what I installed in my zero frame project and will definitely do any color you throw at them.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well I'm actually looking forward to moving on this....and no better time than when I can garner the opinions of say...35k+ individuals.biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 9 Old 10-13-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Having used these guys for under-cabinet kitchen lights, this would be my choice for media-room coloured lighting:
http://inspiredled.com/Shop-by-Project/color-led-lighting/RGB-color-changing-flexible-strip-lighting
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page