S-I-L-V-E-R on BOC with airless sprayer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
so i've finally got to the point of buildingmy screen. seems like it took forever. so i have the boc and will be making a frame, but im not sure about using my airless sprayer for painting the screen.
i would think it would work AND be a lil less of a pain because i shouldnt need to thin any of the paint.
i got it for all my painting projects around my house and basically now all of my local relative's painting projects too. i used to paint houses and apartments for a living, so everyone calls me when they have a painting project. i figured it would be easier on me if i had a sprayer to get it done fast!
i also have a rather expensive devilbiss HVLP and compressor if i need to use them, but i figured i's see if anyone has used and airless sprayer first.

and it seems like the S-I-L-V-E-R screen will work best for our basement area because i would liike to be able to have the lights on in other areas so it would introduce a good bit of ambient light.
im def open to other suggestions tho
thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 233
S-I-L-V-E-R is NOT a ambient light oriented screen.

"Silver Fire" fit's that description.

A Airless sprayer that has a needle / tip of under 2.0 mm ...preferably 1.5 to 1.6 mm should work fine, after you check the viscosity - to - flow rate out of the Gun on a practice surface, and make any adjustments necessary as far as viscosity / spraying technique.

If you do turn toward the Tank / HVLP direction, you need a Tank with a minimum of 20 gallons capacity, a 1.5 mm Tip, Rust / Water Filter, and the Gun needs to have a constant 45 psi "at the Gun's regulator, and the tank needs to be set to maintain a minimum of 90 psi "at the Hose manifold".

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

so i think the straight up blackout cloth will not work for me.
it seems like the projector is too bright for just a white screen with all lights off, or just with a little ambient...
cant get the blacks deep enough.
any paint suggestions??
post #4 of 6 Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorahole View Post

so i think the straight up blackout cloth will not work for me.
it seems like the projector is too bright for just a white screen with all lights off, or just with a little ambient...
cant get the blacks deep enough.
any paint suggestions??

First off, don't use BOC...use this:

http://www.carlofet.com/projector-screen-material/flexiwhite-projector-screen-raw-material.html

...and paint it via spraying with Silver Fire v2.5 3.0 for the absolute best black levels and pristine looking whites and color rendition.

To quote James T. Kirk;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

can i just paint the BOC that i already have on my frame?? although if some of the wrinkles dont come out, then i will probably get new material anyway.
i assumed BOC could be used as a "universal" medium for paint
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Oh... you can certainly paint on it easily enough, the real question is how good of a finish with you have. Even the smoother coated side often has texture, enough so that sanding after 3 coats is absolutely necessary. Then you spray on two more coats, observe, and then sand again if necessary. There is nothing special, preferred, or really universal about using blackout cloth. I can stay without reservation that all it is is something that has been around and has been used for quite a while.

But... over time other materials have been found to work much better.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page