Removing Black Bars Possible - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My brother has recently got me in to painting my screen and claims that by doing so and having the flexibility of that over a fixed size screen I can avoid the infamous black bars. The projector I will be using is the Panny ae8000 so it will have the ability to power lens shift and zoom between 16:9 and 2:35. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I myself have been fixated on doing exactly that with the Panny 8K

My last 5 installations are all "Constant Image Height" 2.35:1 examples.

Go here and look for the Threads, all of which have references pertaining to such, then come back with your thoughts / desires.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486035/small-bonus-room-with-2-35-1-screen-and-panny-8000

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458217/a-135-diagonal-2-35-1-white-milliskin-over-light-silver-milliskin-spandex-screen-build

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1485489/dark-brown-room-w-black-ceiling-2-35-1-drywall-sf-v2-5-3-0-screen

.......and be advised, the Panny has "Lens Memory" so you only have to set it up once for both Formats and afterward it automatically processes the change in Zoom,, Image position, and Focus.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All three of those look awesome. I really want to get the biggest 16:9 AND 2:35 image I can. The biggest 2:35 image I can obtain is a 115" diagonal and the 16:9 biggest is 106". BUT that is without having a fixed screen and just using the screen wall itself. I like the idea of not sacrificing any size on either type of aspect ratio, but will there still be black letterbox bars and will the picture quality degrade because the image is not surrounded by a black/dark color?

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you use the wall itself...painted or raw, then the Panny can be set to automatically provide the size images you want for both Formats.

You can have the 106" 16:9 (52" x 92") and the 115" 2.35:1 (44" x 106") and not use any Borders at all.

It would seem your limiting factor is 52" of height. Shame that if true because with 60" x 106" @ 16:9 you'd have 122" diagonal.

Being able to maintain "Constant Width" will result in the biggest possible 2.35:1 image at 106" wide, and a truly epic sized 16:9 of the same width.

The hard facts are.....at 52" height, you will always have a image scaled taller in height in 16:9. If you have 106" width to work with, at least you can gain another 8" height @ 16:9

Something else.....even with Lens memory, Formatting bars in 2.35:1 still exist. The Panny's native Format is 16:9 so if you do NOT create a screen where the 16:9 image is smaller in height than the 2.35:1 image, you'll never have any issues there.

The Panny has a masking Feature...both Vertical and Horizontal, that works in conjunction with it's Lens Memory feature. This allows you to drastically reduce observable light spill in the unused portions of any Format. It's not absolute....but it is a usable feature.

The real key will be to place the Projector as close to the screen as possible, then use Low Lamp & Masking in tandem together, and with a High Contrast Gray painted wall. With no restraining Frame, your pretty much free to do what you want to.

Heady stuff, that. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The Panny has a masking Feature...both Vertical and Horizontal, that works in conjunction with it's Lens Memory feature. This allows you to drastically reduce observable light spill in the unused portions of any Format. It's not absolute....but it is a usable feature.

If the Panny is anything like every other projector I'm aware of, unfortunately the masking feature is mostly useless. It will just black out any video image in those areas. In other words if you mask out areas of the image that were just letterbox bars to begin with, there will be no difference -- a black pixel is a black pixel and will have just as much light spill etc regardless of whether it's black in the original image or because of the masking feature.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A side note if you don't mind. What are your thoughts on the ae8000? Are you happy with the picture and black levels?

post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

A side note if you don't mind. What are your thoughts on the ae8000? Are you happy with the picture and black levels?

Very much so.

However all the Panny 8K installations I have done eventually were also coupled with Darbee Darblet processors.
http://www.amazon.com/DARBEE-Visual-Presence-DVP-5000/dp/B00A2ORV5G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

The Panny's Smooth Screen Tech is greatly aided as far as restoring what many feel is needed sharpness without introducing artifacts.
And the contrast enhancement, when kept at governable levels, (40-50%) imparts a noticeable boost, especially under ambient light conditions.

The Panny is a great machine "as is" but the Darbee gives it a solid kick in the arse.

That is why even owners of $4K to $7K+ PJs have embraced the Darbee.
mijotter likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page