AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I currently have a Carada Brilliant White Screen
http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PROJECTION-SCREEN-C128P

I was thinking of switching to a DIY for added sizing flexibility
How well does a DIY option compare to what I have now, and what would be the cost/ effort involved?

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Oh my......well there is a wide gamut of choices...and the ability of DIY Screen making to specifically tailor a screen to your PJ / Screen Size / Room Conditions / Viewing needs is something of a distinct advantage over Mfg options.

But most everything centers around those Four items, so if you will provide the answers to those quires.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Proj - Currently BenQ W6000
Screen Size - approx. 132" width
Viewing Conditions- Bat Cave - complete darkness
Viewing Needs - I like what I have , but the screen goes very close to the wall, thus some speakers don't fit on the sides without getting into the viewing area - so I was thinking of a DIY screen to allow minor decrease in viewing size.
Also - was considering masking options for 2.35 and 16x9 switching.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Awllrighty then....,

In your situation, being able to dictate the exact size screen you want, one that will both allow for effective speaker placement "AND" still retain as much diagonal size as possible is exactly why DIY should fill your demands to a "T".

That said, the decisions rest on .....:

• The Choice of Substrate. ie: A hard, fixed surface attached directly to the wall.....A Cloth-like material applied to a Frame then painted...or a DIY Screen paint soultion applied to the Wall itself. (...my personal favorite. cool.gif )
  • The BenQ w6000 is a bright PJ...even in Eco-mode. You can benefit from using a High Contrast Gray surface that still has enough effective gain (1.2+) to augment contrast and color. A Simple neutral Gray comes in at under 1.0, so that would require your PJ to be on Normal Lamp mode. The RS-MaxxMudd LL mix, combined with an additional 4 ounces of Liquitex Neutral Gray, is a relatively simple and less expensive route to take toward achieving all of the fore stated criteria.
  • The degree of DIY-ism you think you are willing and capable of. Bluntly stated, the more effort (...and proportionately more cash....) you put into it, the better your end results will be. All in all, for about the expenditure of $250.00 maximum, you can easily achieve a 2.35:1 High Contrast Screen w/Trim that will not just leave you satisfied, it will be a point of both pride and deep satisfaction.

Lastly, you can count on plenty of advice, support, and instructions from all of us, to help you achieve those desired end results, and keep costs down to the bare bones minimum possible....something that drives the mandate of most all of us "DIY'ers".

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks!
The price is in my budget, and I'm game - All else being equal - I was thinking of the painting route (if not to difficult) as then I'd paint the entire wall, and alter the size and aspect ratio via the masking.
Also - will the painting option provide a 4K screen?
Do the screens look better than the set ones (e.g. my Carada)?
Is there anyone around the NY/North NJ/Conn area (my zip is 10952) that has one to demo.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post

thanks!
The price is in my budget, and I'm game - All else being equal - I was thinking of the painting route (if not to difficult) as then I'd paint the entire wall, and alter the size and aspect ratio via the masking.

That is what / how "I'd" do it. The primary consideration for such being the condition of the wall itself, and as to if it should be slightly or extensively resurfaced (filled and or smoothed then Primed...) before applying the selected DIY Paint option.
Quote:
Also - will the painting option provide a 4K screen?

Considering that the chief consideration for a "$K" screen is the absence of visible texture, if the effort is made to do the necessary prep work and use the correct spraying technique.......absolutely.
Quote:
Do the screens look better than the set ones (e.g. my Carada)?

Is that a trick question? biggrin.gif In virtually every instance where proper procedure, technique, and choice is followed, the DIY Screen's end results will almost always surpass that of it's similar peer in Mfg. Some will always dispute that, but it is to be considered that achieving parity or superiority with "White" Mfg Screens has been accomplished long ago. These days we compare to Screens such as the e ones produced by Screen Innovations (easy) and Vutec (...not so difficult at all...) and DNP (...harder...but we already can surpass the .08 version...) because we can...not because we exist in a dream state. wink.gif

One thing that sets DIY endeavors above Mfg Screens is our willingness to go Toe-to-Toe with the competition, and more so, show how DIY results look under "worse case" scenarios. But even with that, whenever phrases such as "My screen looks better'n my Plasma!" or "I'll never spend for a Mfg Screen again" are made, the Biting Flies start to swarm. It is to be expected from those who have spent a considerable amount of coin on a Mfg screen...and are happy with it, and who see such statements and take exception with them.

What is harder to accept is the comments that come from those with no such experience or any prior effort to compare, and whose comments are driven by simple argumentative motives.The years of effort by so many in support of DIY Screen making have yielded spectacular...and dependable results....and as such they cannot, and not should not be discounted by a very, very small minority.

Thus, we almost always rely on the posted evaluations of the actual DIY'er and his take on his own end results.
Quote:
Is there anyone around the NY/North NJ/Conn area (my zip is 10952) that has one to demo.

Of course they are....and probably a considerable number too, but there is no running reference-able listing. At best it's a case where if you post up a dedicated Thread asking for such a opportunity, you'll get a response.
\Worst case....you can do what so many hundreds on here have done, and depended upon. Reveiw Threads, posted imagery, and read the evaluations..

I have included a few "Drywall" examples below for your edification. (..note that the screen has not received any Black Velvet Trim yet...)

128" Diagonal 2.35:1 Silver Fire Drywall w/Panny 8000

Here is a 127"er 2.35:1 Silver Fire Drywall with a Panny 8000

And yet another 135"er

..............and so on and so on ..... wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll throw in my $.02 here... Cgott42, I understand you're happy with the Carada BW and want to duplicate it with DIY? I tested a sample of the Carada BW when I was researching my current screen. Glidden Diamond 450 Titanium White (Just the base paint with NO tint added.) is a very close match, actually beating the Carada by a slim margin in every measurable way. If you're looking to duplicate the Carada, I think you'd be hard pressed to see any actual difference between it and the Glidden.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445788/my-glidden-diamond-450-titanium-white-screen
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks - it sounds exciting.
I've just started building my screen wall.
I'll let you know when I'm ready to paint (probably 3+ weeks)

thx!!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page