DIY screen options for my new basement setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to solicit advice on DIY screen options for my new dual projector basement setup (we recently moved). I had a similar setup in our previous house, and used Elite 1.1 Gain screens on both projectors. I was fine with the IQ, but was looking to explore some of the current DIY options for this new setup. I figure for the cost of a pair of inexpensive pre-made screens (~$500), I could get a lot more bang for my buck with DIY screens. Primarily, I am looking for an options that allows a certain degree of ambient light to be present as a lot of the viewing isn't going to be done in complete darkness.

The basic layout of the room can be seen in the floor plans and mock-ups below. Basically the main projector will be used for Sports/HDTV/movies (about equal amounts of each) and the secondary projector will be used for xbox/wii gaming (mostly for the kids). The main projector is an Infocus SP8602 and the video game projector is currently a GT700, but will eventually be upgraded to a BenQ W1080ST (I want the short throw because of the Wii/Kinect games). I previously had an Infocus SP7210 and BenQ W710ST in the old house, both of which I was quite happy with in terms of IQ for their intended applications.

The main screen will be about a 16:9. ~106" screen. I'm limited to that size because the ceiling height on the screen wall is only 74" (the rest of the basement is ~84"). So even those screen size are already compromising the center channel placement to be practically on the ground. I could go with an AT screen (there's storage space behind that wall), so feel free to consider that as a potential option as well. Obviously I would be much more limited in terms of having a screen that would deal with ambient light, but would have better speaker placement. I think for this application, the former is going to win out in terms of importance.

The video game screen will be around ~92", which should help keep it nice and bright.

Anyway, please feel free to reply with any suggestions about the screen (or any other comments on the setup in general). Thanks!

original.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Main Screen:

White Milliskin over Silver Milliskin Spandex 1.5" Raised Frame AT screen, with Center Channel Speaker inset Flush + 1"
Hoping you can accommodate a 14' Throw over the seating, then you could (...and should..).bump up to 122" diagonal. With a 0.8 gain spandex surface you'll still maintain 22 fls
......after all, your rendering show what a 122' er would look like...not no picayune little 106"er.

With the bottom of the "screen area" 10" off the floor, and the Top at 70", all you'll need to do is to "Black Out" the left side wall and the ceiling of the recessed area. It will be epic. cool.gif

I gotta believe your ripe for an eventual upgrade on the main PJ, so you might as well create a screen that will be ready for that glorious day.

For the gaming solution, if the Wall is unsuitable...and or cannot be made to be so, then a 4' x 8' sheet of Sintra sprayed with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 is strongly suggested.
I really like the Wall itself as the screen because that will afford you easy placement of the screen by mounting the W1080ST first, marking off znd masking around the image area, then painting that specific area.

Everything seems straightforward to me, with little reason or need for further consideration. I see a project with a short duration and relatively easy "do" factor.

Get'ter dun!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Main Screen:

White Milliskin over Silver Milliskin Spandex 1.5" Raised Frame AT screen, with Center Channel Speaker inset Flush + 1"
Hoping you can accommodate a 14' Throw over the seating, then you could (...and should..).bump up to 122" diagonal. With a 0.8 gain spandex surface you'll still maintain 22 fls
......after all, your rendering show what a 122' er would look like...not no picayune little 106"er.

Projecting at 14' shouldn't present an issue as there is about 16.5' between the projector wall and the rear wall, so bumping up the screen size is feasible. Again, part of why I choose 106" was for non-AT options so I'd have a place for the center channel.

Currently I'm projecting an image around 106" on the bare painted wall (an off-white-ish color). So imagine my gain is probably somewhere around 1.0, perhaps a little less (?). The image is bright enough, but certainly doesn't stand up to ambient light particularly well. So I guess my concern/question is if I go to a lower gain screen like the Spandex and increase the image size, will the image be bright enough and how well will it stand up to ambient light. [/quote]
Quote:
With the bottom of the "screen area" 10" off the floor, and the Top at 70", all you'll need to do is to "Black Out" the left side wall and the ceiling of the recessed area. It will be epic. cool.gif

Blacking out those areas is not a problem, and from what I've observed just projecting on the wall, should help quite a bit as the reflected light off the recessed ceiling area is quite apparent (as you'd expect with the top of the screen so close to the ceiling).
Quote:
I gotta believe your ripe for an eventual upgrade on the main PJ, so you might as well create a screen that will be ready for that glorious day.

Well, to be honest, I just picked the SP8602 up (used). I was looking for something that gave me a picture similar to my previous SP7210, and I figured this would be a good option to get started with. I also picked up an LG CF181D to try. It's similar in terms of calibrated light output (maybe a touch higher), although I'm still undecided on how I feel about the overall "look" of the image as compared to DLP (which I'm just used to after 6+ years of viewing).
Quote:
For the gaming solution, if the Wall is unsuitable...and or cannot be made to be so, then a 4' x 8' sheet of Sintra sprayed with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 is strongly suggested.
I really like the Wall itself as the screen because that will afford you easy placement of the screen by mounting the W1080ST first, marking off znd masking around the image area, then painting that specific area.

Silver Fire is what I was thinking for this application (actually, I was considering it for the main as well). I'll have to take a picture of the wall and show you one of the "issues" I have to deal with. I'll post that later.
Quote:
Everything seems straightforward to me, with little reason or need for further consideration. I see a project with a short duration and relatively easy "do" factor.

Get'ter dun!

Yeah, I agree it's pretty straight forward at this point. Again, my only "concern" is what I mentioned earlier in this post about using Spandex due to the lower gain and how well it would/wouldn't help with ambient light as compared to something like Silver Fire.

Thanks again for all your help.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page