Making due with limited space, but its coming along... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Been a year in the works, and as you all know, never quite complete. Saving for some new speakers and receiver to upgrade from the current 5.1 to 7.2, cant wait! Pics below show bits and pieces throughout the year:

This was the first attempt at a painted screen, rush job but it sufficed for the better part of the year.

the lighting is terrible, i felt like i had never left work so these tube lights didnt last long, as youll see...

added a homemade bar, to help with the lack to seating, old barstools the previous owner

had left behind, those were quickly changed out.

At this point i got bored and started ripping things apart and making some improvements, first step, ceiling and lighting.

bought a cheap paint sprayer and blacked out the drop ceiling and added some led recessed lights on dimmers.

This step alone made the basement feel more like a theater, plus cut down on all the glare on screen. 

with the ceiling done, took some time to finish up the bar with some drop lighting, and worked on the decor. 

the pennant lights are actually track lights, but with the included ceiling covers you cant tell, 

worked out pretty well. Found these at HD on clearance.

although it is hard to see, i found some movie quote stickers online,

really helped to fill the gaps on the collage wall.

for some reason, I didnt take pictures during the rebuild of the screen, sorry.

I realigned the screen so its centered in the wall, and made a double frame to allow for the led lighting to fit behind it. 

The original frame was just 1X2 with felt stapled over it.

The one pictured below is a 1X2 frame followed by some base board, painted flat black.

The leds  behind it run off a remote so any color can be picked. Found the strips on amazon

for $30, really accents the new screen in my opinion

the blue doesn't look as good in pics as in person, but its my current favorite, esp against the dark blue walls.

installed some led walkway lighting leading into the theater so the amateurs don't turn the lights on and ruin my movie

another amazon purchase, motion activated and only stay on for 30 seconds so they don't become a distraction.

(the amp on the right side of the entertainment stand runs the 2 bass shakers in the couch. really helps to immerse you in an action movie.

explosions are on a whole new level!! highly recommend!)

what started as a shelf for the few blurays i owned has quickly become an addiction,

a few more and Indiana has to find a new home!

although im not convinced on the benefits of power conditioning i got one of these things

just becuase i plan on having an in-wall rack eventually, and this is easily stack-able. 

Also ran cat5 to the basement with a 8 port router so everything is hardwired and have room for expansion.

Will continue to update as the new toys come in:

- in wall rear and surrounds for the 7.2 setup

- receiver

- thinking about BIC speakers for the center and mains. 

- still undecided about the subs, but open to recommendations. (I prefer to buy over build when it comes to audio)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM

Liked: 10
Looking good man. Can I ask what the LED lights are you're using behind the screen? I'd like to get something like that on my setup which is in the planning/build stages now. I love how you keep improving it one thing at a time. I'll be following the same pattern.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks aerosquid. The lights are a ribbon led available online from amazon. To cover the entire border i had to order 2 of them and cut the second one to size. Been busy with a new puppy in the house but have made a few upgrades in the meantime. pics to follow.

Heres the links to the Lighting: the first one is the same ribbon lighting but it comes with the power supply and remote, the second link is just the ribbon which plugs into the first ribbon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040FJ27S/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00476B908/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope these work for your needs!

post #4 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing major in the last couple weeks. Since moving the xbox to the big screen ive found myself playing alot more, funny how that works huh? Anyways, with both the power conditioner and the xbox running in an enclosed cabinet, the temperature was getting into the 100+ degrees and the xbox would overheat. Once again I went searching on the always handy amazon and found my solution. I Found USB powered computer fans and a digital mountable thermometer to attach to the side of the cabinet. Being USB powered was a plus since the xbox comes with 3 constant on USB ports. What was once an overheating xbox now stays at a warm 80 degrees which I can deal with. Links below the pics:

(sorry for the crappy photos, had to make due with the camera phone)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NVC1DS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QROUTE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page