Got the runs!...help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright so I got my wall flat and baby-butt smooth. I did my first coat of base using the UPW as suggested on one of the MaxxMudd threads...It went very well! Then, I did the second coat...The first coat was most certainly dry (one day between coats), but I must have been laying it on too thick for the last half of the wall. I left to go clean the sprayer and luckily I forgot something and went back into the room. I could see a spot running, so I ran and grabbed a damp washcloth and dabbed it, and the next run, and the next...

Anyway, I got them all so there aren't any raised dried runs, so I think that's a good thing. However, where I dabbed it looks to be missing a good bit of paint in comparison to the rest of the wall. What is my next move? Do I do another 2 much lighter "duster" coats before starting with the MaxxMudd Standard? Do I need to do some sanding? I just want to make sure the next coats go on properly. It isn't "terrible looking" where I dabbed the paint, but it is noticeably "indented".

I am using a Wagner CS for the first time and I haven't quite got the distance/speed down it seems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, for the duster coats it is horizontal strokes, about 12" to 14" from the surface at about 3' per second with 70% overlap. I was moving much too slow for a duster since it was only the base coat and the lack of coverage was bothering me. Got in a hurry for results and now I'm in a pickle.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 241
A Duster is a Duster, and the use of such when doing the initial Base coat is the most essential part. The base must be smooth and error free lest any such errors / texture transmit through the subsequent top coats. And be patient.....light coats dry fast, especially if you assist such with a clean fan set 6' in front of, and centered on the screen.

Lightly sand the daubed areas first, the lightly sand the entire screen. Then first dust the affected areas using a quick sweeping, turn into- go across -turn outward stroke. Do that about 3 times in rapid succession. Let dry...then start over withe the primer and apply until you see a uniform coverage. be sure to use a 70% row overlap.

Spraying on Primer makes for excellent practice before getting to your critical Finish coats....so use that practice correctly.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you MM, as usual you have saved the day! After sanding and going over the daubed areas it already looked waaay better. I did the first duster coat to even it out and I could no longer tell where the runs had been. Did a second coat just in case, and also for the extra practice.

Tomorrow I'll be working on the finish coats. Generally is it 1 duster coat, 2 regular coats, and a final duster for the finish? There should be no sanding between coats also, correct? If I am more comfortable doing just duster coats (trying to be cautious because I've put in too much time to screw up the end) how many would be recommended?

Thanks again. Saved my bacon.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpolitics View Post

Tomorrow I'll be working on the finish coats. Generally is it 1 duster coat, 2 regular coats, and a final duster for the finish? There should be no sanding between coats also, correct? If I am more comfortable doing just duster coats (trying to be cautious because I've put in too much time to screw up the end) how many would be recommended?

Thanks again. Saved my bacon.

Let's talk Rib Eye!

Dusters all the way.

After the 3rd Duster, a light sanding...wipe clean, and then apply 2 more Dusters.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Getting anxious. Finally nearing completion after months and months of working on the basement. Honestly, I feel like it wouldn't have turned out half as well without AVS and its many helpful individuals. Out of those who offered support and guidance, you have been numero uno MM, so thank you for taking the time to help so many of us fledgling DIYers out!

The next important question is...What should my first movie be?!?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #7 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Getting anxious.

The next important question is...What should my first movie be?!?

If your wise, it will be Pacific Rim, the first Blu Ray DVD to receive a perfect score across the Board.

..............but Avatar will do nicely otherwise.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Since I have not seen Pacific Rim and I HAVE seen Avatar, I'll go Pacific Rim. Hopefully this will not be the first time you've steered me wrong wink.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Since I have not seen Pacific Rim and I HAVE seen Avatar, I'll go Pacific Rim. Hopefully this will not be the first time you've steered me wrong wink.gif

I think I'm safe. While the plot line is simple, and does not overly tax one's reasoning ability, the visuals are absolutely stunning.

Think "Speed Racer" with giant Monsters and Robots. 'Nuff said.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page