Just looking for a little guidance about making my screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have ordered some screen material for a 2.35.1 screen. Have ordered enough to make 9ft in length for my 9ft wall, all though I plan to go under this size as have large floor standing speakers I want at each side of the screen.

My main question is!!...... Is it best to install the projector center of the screen (I do have lens shift) and project a certain movie I know is in 2.35.1 format, Gladiator?, measure projected image on my screen and build my frame the exact size!, would that be the best way to go about it?, or should I max zoom a 16.9 movie? CONFUSED!!

I have a throw of around 12.5ft and I have a Optoma HD87 projector
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ThemeScene_HD87-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I also own a Lumagen 3Dmini which I would like to use for scaling the image when in 16.9 format.

Am just confised what is the best way to go about getting it right first time

Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi how did you find the screen material mate...looking to buy some myself would appreciate any comments....cheers
Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'd also like to hear about this. How did the material work for you? Also, is this the first projection screen you've ever seen in person?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

I have ordered some screen material for a 2.35.1 screen. Have ordered enough to make 9ft in length for my 9ft wall, all though I plan to go under this size as have large floor standing speakers I want at each side of the screen.

My main question is!!...... Is it best to install the projector center of the screen (I do have lens shift) and project a certain movie I know is in 2.35.1 format, Gladiator?, measure projected image on my screen and build my frame the exact size!, would that be the best way to go about it?, or should I max zoom a 16.9 movie? CONFUSED!!

I have a throw of around 12.5ft and I have a Optoma HD87 projector
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ThemeScene_HD87-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I also own a Lumagen 3Dmini which I would like to use for scaling the image when in 16.9 format.

Am just confised what is the best way to go about getting it right first time

Thanks so much!!

Understandably.

Your selected throw distance is your limiting factor.

At 12.6" Throw....and if you figure that is the furthest you can place the PJ...at maximum zoom in 2.39:1 you'd get a screen size of 105" diagonal (41" x 97") and a 16:9 image of 112" diagonal ( 55" x 97")

You don't want to use "maximum zoom" with that model...it's optics will create some "Barreling".

So if your PJ is at 12.6", and you instead figure out available screen size based on a minimum available Throw of 12' ...you'd wind up with 107" diagonal @ 16:9 (53" x 93") & 101" diagonal @ 2.39:1 (39" x 93" )

What you need to do is increase your Throw distance if at all possible to at least 14'

Also, it's best to place the lens at or just above the top of the Screen if Lens Shift is available. Unless your Screen is mounted way up off the floor,

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com