Quick Question about what I think I need to use - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm looking to build a screen in the next week or two.

I'd planned to purchase blackout material from Carl's place due to the cost vs performance. I had done research on the colors and gains, and how that works to your room with ambient lighting and wall colors. My room is dark brown on the walls and white on the ceiling/slant walls. It also has controlled lighting. there is a window right where the screen would go, but that will be blacked out as well (any suggestions while I'm at it?).

I plan to use the Epson 8350. I am looking at using in the neighborhood of 100" diagona screen.

The room dimensions are 15ft wide x 26ft deep. The PJ mount in the ceiling is about 15ft off the front wall, which is also roughly where I plan to be seated.

So, that led me to think the blackout cloth with 1.0 gain was the best route for me.

However, I'm still a bit unsure about this given the fact that the ceiling and slant walls are white. I've attached a picture below. If you guys can tell me if the blackout will still be a viable option or not, I'd appreciate it. Is there a better recommendation here?

Thanks in advance,
Erin

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Picture of the room:
2ymazequ.jpg

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #3 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Have you seen what MMan did to his custom room?

Here is the link for it. I'll give you some ideas. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491489/another-2-35-1-silver-fire-on-drywall-project-taking-off

I also think you could go with a bigger screen, specially if you will be seating at 15ft.

Nice room with lots of potential.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

If you're referencing his false wall, yep. Ironically, I had just decided yesterday, after a whole lot of deliberation, that was the route I would not be taking. I'd like to. But I'm so close to being complete that going in that direction would be a major change of plans (I would be ditching all my current speakers and designing my own). I'm just not ready for that commitment.

So, this build is a much more simple, K.I.S.S build. If it gets enough use to warrant it, I'll go epic build next year. wink.gif

For now, though, I'm just looking for advice on screen color/gain based on my room colors.

I should have mentioned that the lights are on a dimmer and likely will be completely off during a movie.

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Can't edit via phone...

You are right about the screen size. I'm still not 100% sure which size I'll go with. The way the ceiling slants on the sides causes me to lose some square footage in terms of width. I'm just ballparking the seat location and size. I'll have to play with the PJC a but to fine tune it.

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Not sure why you'd have to ditch your current speakers.

You could construct a stand-alone partition wall that does not merge with the Side Walls / Ceiling, but covers the Window. Really a simple solution that Kills the proverbial "Two Birds".... covering the Window and creating a place to have a screen. Shoot, you could even hide the equipment behind the partition wall.

Your room's width looks to be almost identical (...within 12"...) to the one referenced in my own Thread...and I squeezed in a 143" diagonal 2.39:1 screen into that space,(132.5" x 55.5")

However I did take steps to mitigate wall / ceiling reflectivity.

White BOC or anything "White" would be a poor, unfortunate choice if you kept on course with having a White Ceiling / Slopes.

Advice? You should not rule out / against doing something to mitigate the reflections that will pour off the Ceiling / Slopes. In the very least paint 5' out in the same color as the Knee Walls / Screen Wall. Create a Shadowbox effect that at least restricts reflections coming from surfaces that are at the closest proximity to the screen.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #7 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Not sure why you'd have to ditch your current speakers. .

I would most certainly have to go with new speakers. The ones I have are not made for a full baffle flush mount or even a pseudo one. This is the one area that I have a really firm grasp on, so I'm not just hypothesizing here. I'd build my own speakers if I went with a baffle wall... and I'd curve that thing, too. wink.gif But, alas, I've taken that idea off the table myself. I may revisit it later down the line.

Quote:

Your room's width looks to be almost identical (...within 12"...) to the one referenced in my own Thread...and I squeezed in a 143" diagonal 2.39:1 screen into that space,(132.5" x 55.5")

That's quite a screen! wink.gif

But, I'm pretty certain I couldn't squeeze that size of a screen on my wall. Even if I account for the drop in height wrt to the ceiling/knee wall corner point, the largest I could reasonably go is 120" diagonal.
Even if I went that large, it just wouldn't look right in the room. We taped off a section to mimic the screen and 100-110" seemed to be the area that made the most sense to work within, based on seating position.
Quote:

White BOC or anything "White" would be a poor, unfortunate choice if you kept on course with having a White Ceiling / Slopes.

Advice? You should not rule out / against doing something to mitigate the reflections that will pour off the Ceiling / Slopes. In the very least paint 5' out in the same color as the Knee Walls / Screen Wall. Create a Shadowbox effect that at least restricts reflections coming from surfaces that are at the closest proximity to the screen.

Yea. Someone suggested that in another thread. I mentioned it to my wife and was met with 'the look' at the time... but maybe I should try again. She didn't care for that, but I think I could talk her in to it. I have been meaning to get a quote from the painters to see what they'd charge to knock that out for me. I'd do it myself but my shoulders can't take it (I'm a whimp).

Thanks for the input. smile.gif

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #8 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Mississippi man is dead on. I'm the biggest proponent of white screens around, but the room has to be treated. The ceiling, the slopes AND the carpet have to all get darker in your room to consider a white screen. A gray screen will outperform the heck out of a white screen in that room, not even a close race.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely glad I asked before I made a leap.

Treating the floor isn't likely. But I'll get an estimate on painting the ceiling/slants to match the rest of the room. I'll start looking at the gray screen options if paint is not feasible right now, though.

Thanks for the input.

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #10 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post

Definitely glad I asked before I made a leap.

Treating the floor isn't likely. But I'll get an estimate on painting the ceiling/slants to match the rest of the room. I'll start looking at the gray screen options if paint is not feasible right now, though.

Thanks for the input.

I really need to get to a PC... Can't edit the above from my phone app.

I wanted to ask you guys if you have any recommendations for a DIY purposed gray screen material. I've found some info and will keep digging. But thought I'd ask just in case there's some options I don't find in my searches.

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #11 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A dark Persian rug placed just in front of the screen will help quite a bit and should have a high WAF. I'd still go with a gray paint though.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yea. That may not be an issue.

I played around a bit more upstairs and I've decided I'm going to build the 110" screen. All my research and calculations say this is a very good compromise as it allows me a good seating distance tolerance. And in room testing seems to point to that being OK without being too much.

Since you guys cautioned about white, now my next step is to determine screen material or paint. My budget is a maximum of $200 for a DIY screen.

I searched last night and couldn't find a clear 'winner', in this regard. I thought going with Carl's ProGray would be good, but I can't find any real reviews other than a guy here who had a horrible experience a few years ago which was a fluke according to Carl.

I'm just not sure what good options there are for gray screen material or paint.

Anyone have suggestions on gray paint vs screen, that would be under $160 (I'm factoring in about $40 for hardware costs)?

Thanks in advance for any insight here, guys.

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #13 of 14 Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update you guys. I wound up getting the room painted. The quote was $180 and I jumped on it.

I didn't have time to break out the DSLR last night but I did snap a picture with my phone. I think it turned out great. And the whole room has that theater 'feel' to it that it didn't have before.

Now I just have to start moving forward with the screen build.

Here's the before:
37893B29-A65E-4B39-9DB0-8012E3DE4E6D.jpg

Here's the after:
79F0DE98-4C9B-49C8-B837-CFE7A700EC19.jpg

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #14 of 14 Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 257
How are you planning to hang your screen over that Window?
........and, you do have a few "under $200" options, or at least some close enough to not matter.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page