DIY paint on existing projector screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Apologies if this is a silly question, I'm quite new to this whole DIY scene.

I am currently renting and so can't really hang up a ready-made screen on the wall, but what I did instead was buy a 92inch Optoma pull up screen, specifically the DP-9092MWL, which has a gain of 1.0. Because my Benq W7000 doesn't do deep blacks, I was thinking I could do with a high contrast screen and maybe something like a gain of 0.8 to get deeper blacks and bump up the contrast.

My question is though, can I directly apply the DIY paint to the Optoma screen without adverse results? That would be the easiest way I guess to get the contrast ratio up without spending a fortune.

Thank you for your kind replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragfeaster777 View Post

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a silly question, I'm quite new to this whole DIY scene.

I am currently renting and so can't really hang up a ready-made screen on the wall, but what I did instead was buy a 92inch Optoma pull up screen, specifically the DP-9092MWL, which has a gain of 1.0. Because my Benq W7000 doesn't do deep blacks, I was thinking I could do with a high contrast screen and maybe something like a gain of 0.8 to get deeper blacks and bump up the contrast.

My question is though, can I directly apply the DIY paint to the Optoma screen without adverse results? That would be the easiest way I guess to get the contrast ratio up without spending a fortune.

Thank you for your kind replies!

Yes....painting onto a Mfg screen is very "do-able".

Read this Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0
fragfeaster777 likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Doable but pointless if you ask me. May as well go out and buy a cheapish gray screen in the first place. Any properties the screen has will be lost when you add the paint unless the paint is decent PJ paint.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Poinless?

Did you overview the linked-to Thread?

Obviously not, because no "chespish" gray screen is going to perform like the "better than decent" DIY laint used.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 05:39 AM

Tbh I just did a quick flit through. I admire what you have done but a lot of time and effort involved. All I'm saying is why not just put the extra cost to a better gray screen in the first place?
I have made a roll up DIY screen myself in the past and painted it gray. It lasted a couple years but then the screen and paint started to crack because of repeatedly rolling and dropping the screen. Maybe the material and paint weren't good enough and there's my point. Is it worth modifying a cheap screen with expensive paint, will it last, would the cost saving and benefit be enough to outweigh buying a decent gray screen in the first place?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. MississippiMan that's a great project, the photos look great and i'm sure they dont even do the actual thing justice. You should be proud of that project.

Ash, I would buy a gray screen but as I mentioned I am renting and cant affix stuff to the wall, so im relying on something that can be pulled upwards, which is what I have now.

I will see if the paint you used MississippiMan is available in the UK. Then comes the hard bit...
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. MississippiMan that's a great project, the photos look great and i'm sure they dont even do the actual thing justice. You should be proud of that project.

Ash, I would buy a gray screen but as I mentioned I am renting and cant affix stuff to the wall, so im relying on something that can be pulled upwards, which is what I have now.

I will see if the paint you used MississippiMan is available in the UK. Then comes the hard bit...
I think you misunderstand me. Gray screens are available in pull up/pull down fashion just the same as white screens.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, it amounts to this.

No "decent" High Contrast Gray screen possesses a gain over 1.1, and most clock in at <0.8

Most all such screens excessively mute Whites to a greater extent than they allow for improvement in Black levels..

ALL such screens cost disproportionately more than any potential gains in performance would deem worthy.

The "ONLY" advantage they have is they are ready to hang and shoot an image upon OOTB.

Disadvantages include Waves / Curling / Texture / ...etc. Using a Tab Tensioned screen at least absolves one of dealing with such uncertainties / probabilities....but as you might or might not know, there exists not a single example of a Tab Tensioned Screen in any other type finish than matte white. If one needs High Contrast, resurfacing such screens is the only option available.

The screen shown in the Thread I linked to represents a level of performance achieved by (...or attempted by...) Mfg Screens costing in excess of $3000.00+

As such, absolutely....the "performance to value" of painting on a high performance coating on a mundane, under-achieving Mfg screens amounts to be not just well worth the time, effort and expense, it's a no-brainer.

IMHOOC...... cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi,

It can be assembled with local items or acquired via Internet sources, and/or arrangements can be made to provide you with the components you lack.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome advice, thank you!

Ash I had a quick look at pull up gray screens but unfortunately none are ready made in the UK, and I can maybe give a few shops a call but they would easily charge in excess of £250 ($400), not really worth it I guess.

MississippiMan your method looks truly like a work of art, and I will try to replicate it though fear I will only get there half way. I was hoping to do the painting next weekend as thats the only weekend for the foreseeable future where I will have multiple uninterrupted hours, so I think that means that ordering the Silver Fire paint supplies from the US is a no go as don't think they will arrive on time. Furthermore I read (from you I believe) that you definitely need to use a spraying system, which in a flat that's not mine makes me really, really nervous!

What I am thinking of doing instead is maybe going down the latest Black Widow route and using a roller. The room I am in has white walls so ambient light is definitely an issue, making me think that a gain of 0.8 is what is needed. There was a post on the HTS forum where they advised a UK user which paints to use... so I may bug them with my questions even though it's clear your knowledge is much superior. Unless there's some way I can figure out which are the UK paint equivalents? Sorry I have no idea about paints!

Let me know what you think or if you have anymore tips... I truly appreicate your help!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Rollering should be fine. The finish I got was perfect with a roller. I just used a spray can for the black borders. I used a dulux paint called ice storm grey from b@q. This is very close to neutral grey and a popular colour for diy screens.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Awesome advice, thank you!

What I am thinking of doing instead is maybe going down the latest Black Widow route and using a roller. The room I am in has white walls so ambient light is definitely an issue, making me think that a gain of 0.8 is what is needed. There was a post on the HTS forum where they advised a UK user which paints to use... so I may bug them with my questions even though it's clear your knowledge is much superior. Unless there's some way I can figure out which are the UK paint equivalents? Sorry I have no idea about paints!

Let me know what you think or if you have anymore tips... I truly appreicate your help!

Fur'goodness sake, don't repeat the highlighted part above "over there" or all hell will break loose! eek.gif

BW should work OK...it certainly is under 1.0 gain. You might have issues with some Graininess though.......especially if you roll it on. Good Luck!

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com