Oh God, I bought a projector. Now what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Even though I'm (newly) dirt poor, I just ordered an Optoma HD131Xe. That's a cheapo DLP projector, rated at 2,500 (marketing, I presume) lumens. I'll be wall mounting it about 8 feet up the "back" wall of my little bonus/media room, and throwing an image about 11 feet over to the opposite wall. The room's about 12.5 feet square, and has a vaulted ceiling. The side walls of the room are 8 feet high, while the end walls (ie. the projector and screen walls) are about 11 feet high at the peak. I'd guess that the upper corners of the screen will be 3-4 feet from the nearest part(s) of the ceiling. More like 6 feet in the middle of the screen. So, that's good, I think.

The room currently has light beige walls and ceiling. And carpet, now that I think about it. I don't want to turn the room into a black hole, but I do plan on painting the walls something much darker. Maybe something like olive drab? Not super dark, more... medium-ish. I'd prefer to leave the ceiling beige, since it's way the heck up there. I know that's a problem. I'll black out the room's one window, but I would vastly prefer it if the screen was usable in dim (but not dark) condtions. I'll be using the screen during the day, and don't want to have to seal myself in completely.

I guess I'll have to build a screen, mostly because I can't afford to buy a nice one. 92" would be the center of that PJ's zoom range, and I think might be a good size given that we'll be sitting 9-10 feet back. I'm gonna project on the bare wall for a bit while I decide if I should go any bigger, but staying with a screen size that can be cut from an 8 foot piece of sheet goods shouldn't cramp my style at all

The handy dandy projector calculator claims that I'll be looking at 31 fL with a .7 gain screen, and 44fL if I use a 1.0 gain screen. Pretty bright, isn't that? (I'll want to use "ECO" mode, however. So I won't have quite that many lumens in actuality. Maybe more like 1,500? I don't actually know.)

So, I should go gray, huh? But how gray? I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the paint formulations in this forum. Do I need something "shiny" to boost the gain back up, or would flat gray do me fine?

I have one of these Wagner sprayers. Not sure if it's suitable. I've got plenty of rollers as well.

Advise me, please? Mostly about what paint you'all would recommend. (I'm in north Georgia, if it matters.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 241
To keep it simple and inexpensive, go with a known value.

Get Glidden GL9000 tinted the Behr color "SilverScreen"

You did not mention which Wagner sprayer you have, but the GL9000 in Flat will roll very easily if the sprayer you have is unsuitable.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

To keep it simple and inexpensive, go with a known value.

Get Glidden GL9000 tinted the Behr color "SilverScreen"

You did not mention which Wagner sprayer you have, but the GL9000 in Flat will roll very easily if the sprayer you have is unsuitable.

Thanks, MM.

I linked to my sprayer in my previous post. It's the "Wagner 518080 Control Spray Max HVLP Sprayer".

Wow, is that Behr color intended for use on a screen, or is that name just a happy coincidence?

I'll poke around, looking for more info on that paint shade, but if anyone has time, I have a couple follow up questions:

• What brightness should I aim for, in foot-Lamberts, on my screen? I suppose that depends on the brightness of the room, huh?
  • What is the "gain" of the paint that MM just recommended to me? 0.7? 0.9?
post #4 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I read up on the SIlverScreen flavor of paint. That looks like a totally valid way forward. With that now established as a cheap and cheerful baseline, could anyone recommend the next step up? In other words, if SilverScreen is "Good", what would constitute "Better"? (I'm not even going to ask about "Best", for fear of inciting a holy war.)

It sounds like there's a more neutral shade out there. "Passive", or something?

Would anyone recommend an even darker shade than SilverScreen, bearing in mind that I would value the ability to tolerate a bit of ambient light? Again, this is a 2,500 Lumen DLP, hitting a 90-99 inch screen.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll continue my monologue. smile.gif (I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.)

I've read the first and last 10 pages of the Silver Fire v.2 thread, and frankly, SF sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. (Great performance even in the presence of some ambient light.) It's more complicated and expensive to buy, mix and use, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Would Silver Fire v.2 4.0 work for me? If so, I'll move any further questions I have over to the SF thread.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-29-2013, 01:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

DaveNagy,

I'm glad you took some time and effort to over view the Silver Fire option. It's a great choice for you situation, and with the screen size your contemplating you will easily be able to run the PJ in Economy Mode.

My suggestion would be to use Silver Fire v2.5 4.0

You don't mention your seating arrangements. If your using just one Row (...and your room size seems to dictate that...) then with a 98" diagonal screen being 48" x 85", you can place the bottom of the screen at 30" off the floor. Adding the 48" screen height to that makes the top of the Screen 78" off the floor. You have 96" wall height. The Room is 12'+ across (144"0 so a 85" wide screen will leave almost a full 30" between the side wall (..which you plan to darken..) and diagonally almost 36" from ceiling. So you probably won't have all that much concern about excessive reflections from the ceiling, and even the reflections you do get won't overly affect the on-screen contrast achieved by the Silver Fire surface.

With the Optoma HD131Xe your well set up to get a spectacular image, so look forward to it.....

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #7 of 8 Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for that encouragement, MM. You do a yeoman's work on this forum. (Whatever the heck a yeoman actually is!)

Yep, I just have a single row. Two recliners, set about 2/3rds of the way back from the screen wall. That's adjustable, of course.

I suspect that I may want to raise the screen up a bit more than 30", perhaps to 36" from the floor as a maximum. I tend to watch in a semi-to-fully reclined position, so having the screen a bit higher will be comfy, I think. Also, I want to give myself room for an AV cabinet, center channel, and "Kinect" camera under the screen. That will push the top of the screen to 84", a foot below the top of the "short" side walls, and even further below the peaks of the taller end walls. (The screen will be on one of these end walls.)

I'm now thinking I will paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. Yes, the ceiling is way up there, but if I paint it, at least I won't have to worry about a wall-to-ceiling color transition/seam.

Thanks again. I'll be posting some questions over in the Silver Fire thread now.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your good...it's all good.....good luck..... cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags