Wood for a ~120" diagonal AT screen - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was at Home Depot today looking at wood to buy for my upcoming spandex screen. I am curious if anyone has used the PVC "wood". Here is a link to Lowes of the product I am talking about: http://www.lowes.com/pd_238347-45819-2827_0__?Ntt=238347&UserSearch=238347&productId=50092316&rpp=32

I don't know if that would hold up better in the long run than normal lumber. This material is straight as an arrow in stores, so that is the allure for me.

Thanks,
Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My guess is probably not since 1x4 poplar does very well at a little more than half the price. Now if you have the ability to rip the 1x6x12 pvc the cost is pretty comparable. That material would be lighter weight but i don't know if it has sufficient rigidity to avoid twisting. Since you say it is very straight it might be an interesting material.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 351
The main issue is the attachment of the Spandex. It would require the application of "Screen Tight" so that the Channels could be screwed into place. I don't think you could Staple Spandex onto Plastic with any guarantee of success.

The OP could "Try" though, and if it works out it might be a very neat solution. It certainly will not warp...ever...and if adequately braced, the degree of pull pressure stretching Spandex across such a frame should not make to flex enough to be any concern.

Still, ripping would require the use of either a Table Saw with a special Blade, or a Skill Saw with Rip Guide and the same Plastic Cutting Blade (120 Tooth)

Then there is the Mitering of the Corners, and needing to use both adhesive and counter-sunk screws. The use of Simpson Strong Tie "L" Corner and "T" Braces would be strongly advised no matter what.

Seems like a lot of potential issues await, no small degree of uncertainty of success, all coming at more expense overall

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you'd be gaining stability at the cost of strength. The PVC trim I've used outdoors would definitely bow over a 8-12ft span, especially over time. For that cost I'd rather aluminum (which you can still cut with a normal wood blade in a normal chop saw) or wood/aluminum reinforced.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am surprised that no one had tried using this stuff. One advantage to it is that it comes in 12 foot pieces, so that is helpful for larger screens.

I am definitely concerned about the strength of the product over time; it seems like it would eventually bow from the lack of strength.

I am interested in using aluminum, however where can you get in such large pieces without going to an industrial supply house?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
fwiw, I did use a very similar material for my screen boarder, it worked quite well for that.
Honestly since my hybrid alum-wood screen has seasonal humidity issue, using this instead of wood would have been the ideal case for me, as the alum sq tubing is the structural member.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1029683/diy-curved-screen-with-structural-extruded-aluminum-metal-framing/30#post_15254612
Quote:

I wanted my border to be very rigid along the skinny length so it would be easy to mount a straight line, but flexible to easily conform to my curved laminate screen.

After trying many-many moldings at HD/Lowes, I settled on this "Tuf Board", it fit all my rqmts perfectly. Easy to cut, can be routered for inside bevel, strong for screwing into (I tested it).

I bought (1) 12' board, ripped in half for the big top/bottom pieces, and (1) 6' board, ripped in half, for the RH/LS sides. They came in at 2 1/2 wide.

Below is my test of the bevel and 45deg miter, ready for cutting the real ones.

Workshop above the 3 car garage, COLD! (not heated yet), but big/open workspace. Lots of white powder/dust instead of sawdust.

and http://www.avsforum.com/t/1029683/diy-curved-screen-with-structural-extruded-aluminum-metal-framing/30#post_15302528
Quote:
a) Use Acoustic Transparent screen instead of laminate
IMG_0128%20AT%20version.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page