cheap white hardboard screen found at lowes and homedepot - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hello all im new to all of this and ive been reading a lot of posts on here regarding making your own screens using the 1/8 inch hardboard with one side being white and painting them with some special paint..my question im asking is there just a cheap flat white paint i could use instead of mixing up a special blend of paints thats readily available that would give me decent results? im not looking for stellar performance but looking for something decent on a cheap budget since i live in a apartment.. thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 12:33 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Welcome aboard bigec,

Glad to have you join us on the DIY Screen Forum!

Of course there are "Off The Shelf" (OTS) Paints to consider....and most will provide "decent" if not better results than you might expect. However much depends upon the condition of the surface you paint onto, as well as how good of a job painting you can do, either rolling or spraying.

But will a "Cheap" paint get you to a Happy Place? perhaps...if you don't know what constitutes "decent results".

Provide some more info for us to consider.

PJ type.
Screen size.
PJ's mounting location and distance to the Screen.
Rooms lighting situation when viewing content.
Seating distance from screen.
Room dimensions. Ceiling height and the distance from the sides of the screen to any right angled wall being very important.

Lastly, how "Cheap" is cheap....budget-wise?
bigec likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks sir, i have a lg-pa70g led 700 lumen projector, the screen size ill want to project will be somewhere around 80-90 inches, my seating would be round 8-10 ft away and my ceilings are round 11ft. high or somewhere in that area, the only right angle wall would be bout a foot away due to where i would be able to place the screen but the other side would be bout 6 ft, because of the layout of where i live, its basically a studio apt...as far as painting goes i would have to roll it on and the surface i was looking at would be that cheap 1/8 inch hardboard that i have read about people using..i dont have the equipment to spray..i hope that gives you a general idea.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:40 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Well, a simple solution you can get at a Home Depot or Lowes is your way to go. Both have some inexpensive paints to chose from. A Sherwin Williams Store would offer you the best quality paints for your money. Which of those choices do you prefer?

Since your Rolling, you'll want a paint that has good, self leveling tendencies. Those cost a bit more, but are worth it. Also, choosing better quality Roller Covers (3/8" Fabric) is going to be every bit as important. You'll also need a good, "ball bearing type" Roller Wand....one that spins like a well oiled wheel...something which you'll need especially for your first coat because the Melamine-Coated hardboard is "slickery" and a Roller Cover loaded with paint can tend to slide initially.

Finally, three more things....stir whatever paint you get thoroughly, and if possible, strain the paint to remove any clumps. Last of all, don't try to rush and get it done in 1 coat. 3 light coats done carefully equals a smooth, error free finish.
bigec likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 12-18-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks a lot for the info regarding rolling on the paint etc....lastly, i could go to any of the stores you mentioned because they are relatively close but what color/type/brand/sheen would you recommend using?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked: 15
I would start with a melamine sheet and watch some content, report back what you see and go from there. Because your projector isn't overly bright if you get a flat enough (flat like the amount of sheen, not like the earth in the 1400's) piece of melamine and watch in a light controlled room that might not be a bad place to start.

But if you see some hotspotting you would want to paint it with something more flat/less sheen. You might also want a slightly gray paint. But since it costs you nothing to project onto the sheet bare that's where I would start, get a feel for what you like.

I would go look at both (or any store you can find) and try to get the flattest in sheen and finest grain/texture panel you can find.

Maybe you have a Menards nearby, the Dakota Melamine white panels there are worth a look too.
bigec likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info, im taking all the info i can get so i have a general idea where to start..as far as a Menards being nearby well thats a no go..but lowes and homedepot have panels that panels that resemble what you describe.