Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If you have a Sherwin Williams store near you, got get the Unique Gray from them.

It's very neutral, and that's what I've used.
post #33 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

What about the frame? How do i proceed with the frame (border)?

post #34 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Kilz2 primer - 2 coats
Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Acrylic Latex Enamel paint - 2 rolled coats

post #35 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guslogie View Post

What about the frame? How do i proceed with the frame (border)?

Did you take a look at my screen build thread? It shows you how to build the trim borders in there.
post #36 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

yes i did.

"4 yards of syfrabrics triple black velvet $33 (purchased from forum member)
2 12ft pine baseboard moulding for screen borders $33"

Not sure on ...

1) How is trim attached to board?

2) If the trim is mounted on top board then what should be the board size? There should be some surplus needed on the board size.

3) Where to but this trim?

4) Where to buy this syfabrics triple black velvet or equivalent

I am sorry for asking too many questions. It looks like i don't want to reinvent the wheel and would like to learn from experts and their experiences. I guess this is learning process. I can find out the raw material but actual construction process may need some more details. 

Kudos --- Smokarz ....pretty much my entire project is getting into shape because of your guidance and help. I am really exhausted and confused will all the reading though. its like vast ocean information but can be confusing without proper organization based on the situations. 

post #37 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Frame: please post location MM tutorial on framing

Now screen project is taking shape !! Thanks to all contributors.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/865218/wrapping-black-velvet-on-trim-with-mitered-or-butt-joined-ends

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #38 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes i did.

"4 yards of syfrabrics triple black velvet $33 (purchased from forum member)

2 12ft pine baseboard moulding for screen borders $33"

Not sure on ...

1) How is trim attached to board?
2) If the trim is mounted on top board then what should be the board size? There should be some surplus needed on the board size.
3) Where to but this trim?
4) Where to buy this syfabrics triple black velvet or equivalent

I am sorry for asking too many questions. It looks like i don't want to reinvent the wheel and would like to learn from experts and their experiences. I guess this is learning process. I can find out the raw material but actual construction process may need some more details. 

Kudos --- Smokarz ....pretty much my entire project is getting into shape because of your guidance and help. I am really exhausted and confused will all the reading though. its like vast ocean information but can be confusing without proper organization based on the situations. 

Lol. Sorry, I assumed you would know by looking at the pics. My bad.

The link MM provided have all the details you would need. Basically wrap the velvet around your trim borders, and staple them in the back. I had to buy a staple gun from Amazon. It's pretty cheap (~$20?). Then nail the trimmed borders to the front of your painted sintra screen with finished nails.

The Syfabric stuff is really good, but it's a bit expensive.

Lots of DIYers have great success with the Royal Black Velvet from Jo-Anns. It's just as good or close to the Syfabric, but much easier on the wallet (especially with the 50% off coupon they send out all the time). Just sign up for their newsletter and they will send you some. Or Google for a coupon.
post #39 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks !!
As per my calculations ...
Board size is 60 x 120 inch
Screen size is 60 x106 inch
So I don't have extra board meterial on top and bottom side to nail the trim
Either need to find larger size board or clever way to attach trim around board. That's why I was looking into possibility if a trim as proposed in the cross section in above pos. today made some rounds to Lowes to find a trim similar to one posted above. Please help
post #40 of 45 Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
No problem.

Using the remaining screen material you simply attach tabs to the rear of the framing to allow for backing for the trim.

Need clarification as to the depth of framing beneath the Sintra though.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #41 of 45 Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Smokarz, 

While going through your post on Grey screen. You mentioned about the light controlled room and use of neutral grey for not getting any enhancements of other paint mixes. In my case; i don't have light controlled media rm. I have one big window and some ambient light from stairs. Most of it can be controlled; but i usually find time to watch PJ movies/sports/etc mostly on Sunday day time. 

Let me know if neutral grey is still good choice for my case. 

As per recommendations from you and MM; i am making finalizing my scheme of part list of all items needed to finish my media room. I have identified everything except room color. So as soon as finalize room colors. I am going to work on wiring, color, Sound system, PJ and last screen.

Do you think i should go with white ?

post #42 of 45 Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

In your case, definitely gray.

White in daylight is going to give you a pretty washed out picture.

And the W1070 does have the lumens to handle a gray screen.
post #43 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you and kudos to Smokarz and MM ....screen is ready,

Frame: Some fancy baseboard PVC trim to get the PVC board (5' x 10') on top of frame to enable use of of full 5' board height.

Board: 5 x 10 Expanded PVC

Glue: To glue PVC to Frame

2 6 x 1 on the back to provide strength to the screen frame and for attaching handing hardware

Hardware: Picture hanger with ability to adjust vertically (Lowes)

Paint and Primer: Unique Grey 

Rollers: 1/4" Nap Purdy

construction: Frame

Paint: Glued board to frame and painted (Saved trim from paint using painters green tape. Painted the frame to a black paint. I made two screens. One of them for my friend. 

Final Result: There are iphone pictures. As i watched projector on the room wall for two weeks before making these screens...i noticed the difference in quality of the image and it looks stunning. I will post some more pictures with my SLR camera later.... Thank you once again for your help and guidance. !! Kudos !!!

post #44 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks amazing. You might have inspired me to get myself a new sheet of sintra smile.gif

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #45 of 45 Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have found a local vendor who provides Expanded PVS board in 5 x 10 size. As per MM, I should be able to get 122" screen ( 60" x 106"). So i have to cut 120" down to 106". After this i am not getting the framing concept right. If i would like to have a black velvet border around the screen then LED bead around it in the back ground. Find below conceptual drawing with cross-section view. I will be cutting the board in size then make a frame and glue the screen to frame ( its 6 mm thick only so i don't want to use mechanical fasteners) then put LED bead below the frame in background and then hang it on wall using french cleats. Not sure where would i get frame cross-section like an angle as shown.  

Paint ....... really really confused. I am not an expert and willing to buy off the shelf paint and paint accessories (Tray, tray cover, sanding block, and 1/4" nap roller). Based on some reading i understand that the DIY painting is a big deal of science. I went through MM posts and understand that i would need a grey paint. Please recommend me a simple grey paint (off the shelf) for some ambient light viewing. I found this very rough guide posted in 2007. Not sure how much of this is still valid. I also understand that SF 2.3 is best but i guess cant handle the paint mixing and spraying. Thats why i want to go a simple route of off the shelf paint with nap roller. Please recommend a good paint grey paint which can be bought locally (Home depot, lowes, dedicated paint stores ). Find below summary of grey paint recommendations....

Xrite N7 Tint Formula {Ultra Dark Gray}

Quart Custom Tint
Behr UPW (1050,1750,1850,4850)
124 Lamp Black
028 Brown Oxide
012 Medium Yellow

Gallon Custom Tint
496 Lamp Black
112 Brown Oxide
048 Medium Yellow

~N7.5 DIY Tint {Extra Dark Gray}

Quart Custom Tint
093 Lamp Black
021 Brown Oxide
009 Medium Yellow

Gallon Custom Tint
372 Lamp Black
084 Brown Oxide
036 Medium Yellow

~N8 DIY Tint {Dark Gray}

Quart Custom Tint
Behr UPW (1050,1850,4850)
062 Lamp Black
014 Brown Oxide
006 Medium Yellow

Gallon Custom Tint
248 Lamp Black
056 Brown Oxide
024 Medium Yellow

~N8.5 DIY Tint {Medium Gray}

Quart Custom Tint
048 Lamp Black
011 Brown Oxide
005 Medium Yellow

Gallon Custom Tint
192 Lamp Black
043 Brown Oxide
019 Medium Yellow

~N9 DIY Tint {Light Gray}

Quart Custom Tint
031 Lamp Black
007 Brown Oxide
003 Yellow Oxide

Gallon Custom Tint
124 Lamp Black
028 Brown Oxide
012 Medium Yellow

Updated: 2009-08-18

NOTE: I have had the same tint formulas mixed in all three Behr bases, #1050, #1850, and #4850. Under room lighting, light from the projector, and bright sun light I have not been able to detect any significant difference. There may well be a measurable difference with a spectrometer though.

Very Loose Gray Scale Selection Guide

White Screen - Untinted Behr UPW (1050,1850,4850)

This is probably the easiest screen shade to specify the conditions for. A darkened room with no ambient light, dark colored ceiling, and dark colored walls. This would obviously be a dedicated theater room. A typical light colored living room with vertical blinds and all the lights turned off does not qualify. If you do in fact have a room that is suitable for a white screen then you should probably reconsider the

Wilsonart "Designer White" laminate as the best white DIY screen surface. 
Light Gray - ~N9 Tinted Behr UPW (1050,1850,4850)

This can be a good selection for a dedicated theater as well. If your projector has weak blacks, there will be some low level ambient light, or your room colors are not really dark, a light gray can be beneficial. You may actually find that when the room is fully darkened the light gray is almost identical to a white screen.

Medium Gray - ~N8.5 Tinted Behr UPW (1050,1850,4850)

This is really just a compromise shade for those unsure if they want a light gray or a dark gray. It may also be a good choice if your projector has a video optimized output of less than 400 Lumens and/or your screen is larger than 100" 16:9. If you will be using your screen in a light colored living room but plan on turning all the lights off and completely block any windows this may also be a good choice.

Dark Gray - ~N8 Tinted Behr UPW (1050,1850,4850)

This is the shade of gray that will tolerate fairly high ambient light conditions while still allowing a home theater projector in the 400 lumen range light up a 100" 16:9 screen. For example, a living room with light colored surfaces, and enough undirected light on to read and/or eat dinner.

Extra Dark Gray - ~N7.5 Tinted Behr UPW (1050,1850,4850)

This would be a good shade for a screen in a public area where a fairly bright presentation projector is being used. A small conference room with a presentation projector in the 2000 lumen range. This is probably not a good shade for a home theater projector. This would be a good shade for a softly lit pub with a projector like the Optoma EP1690 which was measure to put out over 1000 lumens when fined tuned for a high-contrast image.

Ultra Dark Gray - Xrite N7 Tinted Behr UPW (1050,1850,4850)

If you have a veritable light cannon and need to use it in fairly bright ambient light conditions, then this would be the shade to consider. This might be a good shade for a well lit restaurant and a projector like the Sanyo PLV-WF10 projector. At 4000 measured lumens with both lamps on and half that with one lamp on it will be able to light up a very dark gray screen.

If you haven't already pulled the trigger on a screen set up yet, I just finished my screen build 140" diagonal. I had a rough $100 budget for the screen so I purchased some 0.8 Gain Blackout projection screen material (amazon $59.00) 12'x6"x1"Oak board ($22.00) cut it into 3 equal pieces for the frame. Large "L" brackets for securing the corners together and to minimize frame flexing when the screen is pulled tight ($9.32 total) I had the staples and screws for securing everything. And thats that, I had a little cash left over so I decided to spend it + a little more on LED backlighting. Overall total cost was $125.67 and about 3 hrs. labor. Great image quality with some added background color pop with the LED's. Hope you get it all together before The SuperBowl!

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page