Wagner Opti-stain sprayer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I saw this at lowes today and thought " Hum that might make a good gun for the spray mixtures on here". It's called the Wagner Opti-Stain sprayer. It was only $50 bucks and looks likes a design identical to the wagner control spray designs. Here's a link to Lowes product page for it:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_456699-97-0529015_0__?Ntt=wagner+opti-stain&UserSearch=wagner+opti-stain&productId=4619640&rpp=32

I thought the product might be new but the box does say."2012 Wagner spraytech". went on the Wagner USA siter but can't seem to find it(that might be a bad thing). The Lowe's site does have over 24 reviews on it and most of them are positive.
Just like the Wagner control spray the turbine is on the back built into. Puts out lots of air but not as much as my graco 3900 unit for sure. still was quite surprised by it. I wanted to spray some test spray's using my s-i-l-v-e-r mixture but just not sure on how much water is needed for this thing. Started out conservative at about 8 oz if i was making a quart of S-I-L-V-E-R(made sure i capitalized it because MississippiMan has been getting on to me about it, LOL biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ). Once i got it more diluted it seems to match the spray pattern of my graco gun but little better maybe, not sure. Maybe you more expert sprayer out there could give it a go and see how it does. Now one draw back on this vs the other spray systems we use is that the needle is built in and you can't remove it so no upgrading to a smaller needle. The needle is the same size as my 2.0 needle with my graco system so let's call it a built in 2.0 needle.

Made a quick little video on the gun and it's make up:

http://s591.photobucket.com/user/newdude19781/media/DSCF4031.mp4.html

if anyone out there has tried it before and found to not be a good gun then let me know. I'm going to spray some latex paint out of it tomorrow and see how that goes. I know it'll have to be pretty thin but that will give a idea on how diluted it has to be vs. my Graco. I give you all permission to laugh at my goofiness in the video(Like you all needed permission, lol biggrin.gif )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

so after further investigation i noticed the Wagner Control spray gun doesn't use a mettle needle as well but a plastic one like this. This appears to be a Older Wagner Control spray just repackaged.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
you are correct.
the opti-stain is a new... ie re-badged original control spray... in a new black/charcoal color.

now that they have newer handheld hvlp's with turbines... for an ungodly $150+... they needed a lower cost alternative.

as for the plastic needle/heads... i always wondered why they didn't have a better option with more precision metal needles, heads, and triggers.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 206
......but, if the model described has the original size 1.5 mm needle, it can and will do an effective.job.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I checked the needle out and compared it to my graco needle and it's deff a 2.0 needle not 1.5 tip. bummer.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

So, I was thinking about something today that could solve the issue of the needle tip being a 2.0 mm instead of the 1.5mm like the control spray. I had an idea. I thought, since the design on the Opti-stain was basically the same design, minus the air pressure tube for the gun being on the outside instead of inside like the Wagner control spray, I wondered if the front part of the Gun for the Control spray was interchangeable and could be fitted and used on the Opti-stain.
I called up Wagner's tech support to see if that was possible. After I brief hold as they asked the tech about it, they were pleased to announce that IT COULD!! smile.gif .This is cool. Though I admit that it would probably be cheaper to buy a Wagner Control which already has that size tip(You guys are sure the controle spray is a 1.5, right??) then to buy the Opti-stain and purchase the control tip front end attachment it's still an option.
You can buy the front end from gleam for $19:

http://www.gleempaint.com/control-spray-frontend.html

This is cool though. I can keep the gun and just buy the tip when I'm ready to do my next project. smile.gifsmile.gif sweet.
$50 for the gun at lowes and $19.00 for the tip at gleam. A total of $70.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

So, at first i was excited that I could buy a wagner control spray front end, with the smaller 1.5 mm tip, and swap it out with the current 2.0 tip that comes with the Wagner Opti-stain but not anymore.
I was a little concerned with the thought of what if the needle tip that would come with the NOW sold Wagner control spray front end would not have the original 1.5 tip size that came with the wagner control spray when it first came out. It seems i was right with that concern. I manged to find a older post on here where someone did just that. They bought a Wagner control spray front end replacement from Gleem and they as well as you found out that they've replaced the older 1.5 needle tip with a slandered 2.0 tip. mad.gifmad.gif It seems also the Front end replacement parts that you either buy for the controle spray, double duty or the turbine plus model all use the 2.0 tip. Guess I'll have to take it back.. provided they will except it since I used it once to test it out.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page