Does my BOC really need painting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi everyone..

Love this sight and info on diy... have read many threads but still i'm confused.

My BOC is to my eye a greyish color and not white (rubbersibe shown) with white A4 paper

Roc-Lon® Blackout Drapery Lining White

Item #: UJ-160   bought from fabric.com

straight out of the bag i thought this is great running an old with ambient light of the ceiling and who knows where else.

EPSON ELP 8000

• LCD™ Display Technology
  • 2200 ANSI Lumens
  • 1024 x 768 Native Resolution
  • 4:3 Native Aspect Ratio
  • 300:1 Contrast Ratio

I painted  a 8"strip of it with white gesso (because it was available) on a 100" screen, but lost a lot of black (guess i need a gray paint mix) around the border in widescreen, colors were better though but honestly i could hardly tell the difference between the two (with the small strip used) leading to the question does it really need painting? does the image improve that much? if so by how much 10%, 20%??? i know there are many different factors to the end result but how much difference are we talking about here?

thanks for your help and advice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

ouch... no help ok i going to try emarc's gesso mix  because its available locally

http://www.avsforum.com/t/189726/grey-silver-gesso-screen

anyone use this lately?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pebble View Post

ouch... no help ok i going to try emarc's gesso mix  because its available locally

http://www.avsforum.com/t/189726/grey-silver-gesso-screen

anyone use this lately?

No.

Your not going to have much fun trying to apply any "Gesso=based" mix to a stretched BOC surface. What was considered appropriate and sufficent in 2002 has changed considerably over the last 11 years.

I'm actually a bit surprised and confused as to how you could overlook or miss the great many applications that have come along since then. The DIY Screen Sticky at the top of the DIY Screen Forum Thead page lists several simple, light Gray Neutral Paints,any one of which would apply with far greater ease using a Roller.

It should be noted that the Gesso application used Mica infused paints to bump up the gain. At that time, less attention was made to resulting "Surface Granularity" . Much improvement as been made....very much so.

Your using a PJ that has been out of production since 2001 and your screen is a 4:3 format. Are you sure your not stuck in some time warp? tongue.gif

The Epson has deplorable contrast, and absolutely needs help in achieving any acceptable levels of Black reproduction...leastwise based upon today's accepted standards.

To answer you question as to if paint the BOC would make a difference.....in you case it would be akin to supplying fresh air to someone who is suffocating from smoke inhalation! The question that is out there is how much, or how little you are willing to get yourself involved in to improve your outdated. setup. If you really felt that the BOC looked good using your old PJ, and if all you want to do is get better Blacks, then rolling on a simple Neutral Gray in the N8.5 range is all you should be considering.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ouch.. thats muddy :eek:

Thanks for the info, maybe i should be more precise as i have no issues with with the time warp colors.

Will painting the surface of the BOC sharpen the image displayed on the screen?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
No, in fact it can make it less sharp. You're not going to be able to end up with a painted surface that's as smooth as the unpainted BOC, which means lots of tiny tiny bumps and valleys.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Are we talking about rolled or sprayed method  curttard

Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
If you spray on (correctly) a high contrast - high gain paint onto a smooth surface, you "WILL" obtain a sharper, more defined and 3D-like image. Do it right, and in no manner, way or reason will you get a image that is less sharp.

The current advanced DIY Screen Paint formulas available can offer performance gains over raw BOC that are extreme, and even more so should ambient light viewing be in the offing.

Rolling can be more problematical, but by using the correct Roller Cover, Roller Wand, Paint, and technique, many have achieved surfaces "just as smooth" as those obtained by spraying. It's just simply harder to do so, and requires a perfect job with no mistakes.

BOC can indeed be a "I'm perfectly happy with my image." application, if screen size, PJ specification, and room viewing conditions all gel together to make such a reality. But even then, any coating that can improve perceived Contrast "on the screen' and do so without sacrificing gain or image clarity can...and must be a marked improvement over BOC, or any Matte white unity gain surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

If you spray on (correctly) a high contrast - high gain paint onto a smooth surface, you "WILL" obtain a sharper, more defined and 3D-like image. Do it right, and in no manner, way or reason will you get a image that is less sharp.

The current advanced DIY Screen Paint formulas available can offer performance gains over raw BOC that are extreme, and even more so should ambient light viewing be in the offing.

Rolling can be more problematical, but by using the correct Roller Cover, Roller Wand, Paint, and technique, many have achieved surfaces "just as smooth" as those obtained by spraying. It's just simply harder to do so, and requires a perfect job with no mistakes.

BOC can indeed be a "I'm perfectly happy with my image." application, if screen size, PJ specification, and room viewing conditions all gel together to make such a reality. But even then, any coating that can improve perceived Contrast "on the screen' and do so without sacrificing gain or image clarity can...and must be a marked improvement over BOC, or any Matte white unity gain surface.

Thanks a tonne this is what i was looking for, this is great simple info that doesn't go on about paint formulas but more of a result and should be added to the beginners guide for diy screen

great stuff mississppiman