Incredible breakthrough for those who are considering a SINTRA based DIY screen - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
/\ Thanks for doing this for the community here. Disappointing to know it's still getting so damaged despite actual packaging, and of course there's no surprise that the price has yet again seen an increase.

As for the smaller piece they sell, I feel like I'd sooner frame a piece of drywall I could get locally and much cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medisinyl View Post
/\ Thanks for doing this for the community here. Disappointing to know it's still getting so damaged despite actual packaging, and of course there's no surprise that the price has yet again seen an increase.

As for the smaller piece they sell, I feel like I'd sooner frame a piece of drywall I could get locally and much cheaper.
The appeal to me of the other material is the 5x10' size which AFAICT cannot be obtained in any form at the local big box home improvement store.

I'm not surprised that Sintra is not shippable. When I picked-up my (cut-down) piece of 10' Gatorfoam from our local supplier, I'd prepared by first going to Home Depot and getting a couple of pieces of plywood and foam insulation in order to make a sandwich with my GF to try to keep it safe in my utility trailer for the hour long trip home. It mostly worked but I still had a scuff or two (though no gouges thankfully) that I was able to clean-off and now 7 years later it's held-up nicely. So nicely that I'm pretty sure it will work with a 4K projector when that time comes i.e. the GF is basically white paper with no texture.

My advice to anyone considering doing a plain sheet of this stuff is to hand-pick it at a local distributor, let them cut it for you as they have the tools/knowhow, and then get it home safely yourself. No one else is going to take the great care needed to keep from surface and/or edge damage. The caveat to this of course is if you're going to patch & paint anyway...
post #63 of 67 Old 07-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I see the new price is $143. I can get it locally at Curbell Plastics cut and squared to size for $160. Just have to transport home. Guess the local price ain't so bad if it saves me cutting.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #64 of 67 Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Well since I can get it locally for about $25.00 less than the Amazon price, ( @10' x 5') that will put the kebosh on my participation.

But as stated, if someone has no other alternative....there you are.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #65 of 67 Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
I see the new price is $143. I can get it locally at Curbell Plastics cut and squared to size for $160. Just have to transport home. Guess the local price ain't so bad if it saves me cutting.
That is a great price! Just have them cut 10" off'n it to 50" tall (x 120") and you're good to go.

I messed-up somehow on mine, telling them to cut 6", which results of course in a 2.22:1 screen ratio, which of course works perfectly for only a handful of movies...

post #66 of 67 Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Piedmont Plastics
This thread caught my attention as I was looking for a quick solution for a large screen. Since the Amazon shipment option didn't pan out too well for most people I looked up Piedmont Plastics locally and was pleased to find one close by. I got a 10' x 5' x 6mm board custom cut for a similar price as what Amazon is currently offering. For my particular application I left it unpainted and it looks great. I received many compliments on it last night after its inaugural run.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. It really helped me out.
post #67 of 67 Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfive View Post
This thread caught my attention as I was looking for a quick solution for a large screen. Since the Amazon shipment option didn't pan out too well for most people I looked up Piedmont Plastics locally and was pleased to find one close by. I got a 10' x 5' x 6mm board custom cut for a similar price as what Amazon is currently offering. For my particular application I left it unpainted and it looks great. I received many compliments on it last night after its inaugural run.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. It really helped me out.
Cool Beans !

If you notice any degree of sheen, simply take a Magic Eraser "Dry" and evenly swipe the screen surface to dull out the sheen.

If you then put up and present a Blue Start-up screen onto the Sintra, and view the surface under that illumination, if there is any unevenly wiped area it is easily made visible and the can be "spot corrected"

Still, compliments mean everyone likes it and no one noticed anything amiss, so..........

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page