Incredible breakthrough for those who are considering a SINTRA based DIY screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 06-09-2014, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Recently Amazon Prime started selling SINTRA in sizes of 96" x 48" x 6mm and 120" x 60" x 6mm (...shocked me to no end...) and for bargain prices (...amazing...) and with free shipping (...just doesn't seem possible !) Golly Gee...even if your not a "Prime" member it's normal Shipping is only $3.99 for 5/7 Days Ground !!! eek.gif Of course it's gotta be cut to size by the end user, and frankly, I gotta consider that Damage during shipping is a looming potential issue, but being a "Prime" offering, returning a damaged sheet should present no issue.

If you are looking to do a DIY Screen of 122" diagonal (107" x 60") then just one cut is required, and SINTRA cuts like butter with a hot knife when one is using a fine tooth Panel Blade on a lightweight Skill Saw. It can even be "scored and snapped" using a sharp Utility Blade w/straight edge.

I'm gonna order 120"er myself in the next few minutes just to give it a shot. For those whose locations don't provide a source for SINTRA, or those whose ability to transport a sheet home from a Supplier, this supposed breakthrough is almost a revolution! As to what demand and continued availability will present, and how stable pricing will remain once we bleed out inventory on a constant basis, who can know....but for now it seems like a wonderful opportunity.

96" x 48" x 6mm

http://www.amazon.com/Sintra-Satin-Board-Length-Width/dp/B00J2H00UM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=14MB5T6YYJYQ42DNSVB5

120" x 60" x 6mm
http://www.amazon.com/Sintra-Satin-Board-Length-Width/dp/B00J2H071E/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1402026937&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Sintra+Satin+PVC+Foam+Board%2C+120%22+Length+x+60%22+Width+x+6mm+Thick%2C+White+%28Pack+of+1%29

Now lastly, I gotta give credit where it is do, as member icheat broght this gem to my attention via PM. icheat has been a member since 2007, with just 2 posts to his credit, yet should this opportunity pan out, he deserves DIY Icon status if only because this will empower legions of wannabee DIY Screen makers who do not want to build Frames for a Fabric-based screen, nor can paint upon a wall.

Post Note:

My order for a 120" er is in w/2 Day Shipping.
I will post an image of the Shipping Packaging and another one that shows the condition of the product once received.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
that's cool that there's now an option for people who's projector can project an image that bigger then the normal 8 x 4 foot piece of TWH or what ever material. Hope it sticks around for a while.
post #3 of 67 Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

that's cool that there's now an option for people who's projector can project an image that bigger then the normal 8 x 4 foot piece of TWH or what ever material. Hope it sticks around for a while.

Yeah...we'll see. If the past has any lesson to be learned, a price spike might be in the ofing though. Back in the day, when I started beating the "Parkland Plastic" drum loudly, Fellow DIY Members sprang forward to order 10' x 60" sheets like crazy, virtually overwhelming Parkland's ability to meet the demand. Their famous response to such? What was at first was offered as "White 3mm Poly-Sheathing" intended to line Walls in commercial industry such a Dairy Farms and such, suddenly morphed into "Projection Screen material" as listed on their Web Site, and the price rose from just under $50.00 to over $90.00. rolleyes.gif.

That backfired on Parkland because the DIY Faithfull rebelled, and the demand fell off to almost zilch. Miffed, Parkland changed the Mfg process to introduce a "pebble=like" texture and even went so far as to state in the description, "Not suitable as Projection Screen Material".

So don't discount the ability for the World's Largest A/V Forum's DIY Screen Community (...and it's erudite and subversive followers elsewhere... wink.gif ) to both create demand (...and outstrip supply...) and grossly affect pricing dictates.

We are Legion. And sometimes that works against us. frown.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #4 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ha.......Waddya know, the 120" x 60" x 6mm is now "Temporarily Out Of Stock".

I can't imagine how that happened..... wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lucky for me I got the last one. I hope Miss. Man will not mind, too much with the load of questions I have about painting the damn thing.
post #6 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygearjunkie View Post

Lucky for me I got the last one. I hope Miss. Man will not mind, too much with the load of questions I have about painting the damn thing.

Fire away!

I'm pretty pumped up about the potential availability of the product for the many who would find it an almost insurmountable chore to source in their locals. As such I expect a veritable plethora of such requests for help and advice.

To which I say...."Bring it on!"

(.............and all ya all don't overlook the availability of the 96" x 48" x 6mm sheets. Potential 98" Screens await you viewing pleasure! ....)

Lastly...all should be advised that the chosen shipping Carrier is FedEx, and due to the size of the product the SINTRA will be delivered via FedEx Freight.. That means almost assuredly it will come in a Straight Truck ....and although the product isn't heavy, at this conjecture I have no idea how well it will be packaged. If they really protect it, it could be somewhat unwieldly, so in that regard....be prepared, because FedEx will only deliver it to the rear of the Truck.

....unless you have long Blonde Hair, wear tight jeans, and are of the Gentler sex. Then they will probably carry it into the House.

Is that sexist? Or just a inconvenient truth? biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #7 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the heads-up! Snaked a 120" x 60" last night.
post #8 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I added the 120x60 to my wishlist on Amazon. See if it ever comes available again. I will probably end up going with a 110" screen, so if I get it from Amazon, I'll need to do two cuts. Maybe a router with a fence guide screwed into the piece(s) to be cut off. Still working out a new hanging, swing-up frame design for the family room.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #9 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm glad you guys are saving money buying from amazon. I just hope with the new demand amazon will be seeing they won't drive the cost up in the future.
post #10 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Sintra board scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Hope all of ours aren't beat to Hell.
post #11 of 67 Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Lastly...all should be advised that the chosen shipping Carrier is FedEx,

My 120" x 60" will be here tomorrow via UPS from Amazon, so perhaps this isn't always the case.  Will let you guys know what condition and packaging it arrives in.

post #12 of 67 Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medisinyl View Post

My 120" x 60" will be here tomorrow via UPS from Amazon, so perhaps this isn't always the case.  Will let you guys know what condition and packaging it arrives in.

Strange that, since UPS doesn't offer shipping to residences of packages over 96" inches long, let alone their also being 5' high. But who knows what clout Amazon has. One reason may be because your not a Prime Member, and selected the least expensive shipping choice.

Ok...because of this post I just went back to the Amazon site to do a Track from that location, and lo & behold, the Tracking No# now contains a "Z" and a "A" in it....a sure sign that UPS is in fact the carrier.

..............however.....the Tracking info states the Package is in route to the "Carrier". This even though the expected delivery date states that today, 6/11/2014, I should expect delivery.

So off I clicked to UPS's own site, and when Tracked, their info said...and I quote; " A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Even more worrisome...the stated weight was just 2.5 lbs eek.gif (...probably a typo because I estimate the weight at 25 lbs...)

Which conjures up a scene in my mind where the Shipper(Amazon) generates a Shipping Label, and then calls for a Pick-up...and when the UPS Driver get's there he takes a look and says; "Oh Hell no!" tongue.gif

This is shaping up to be a real adventure, one being shared simultaneously by at least 4 of us. biggrin.gif

And to top it all off, my schedule has just dictated that I can't be at home to receive it, requiring my Wife to accept the delivery and inspect the "Package" for any outward sign of damage.

Lovely.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #13 of 67 Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Strange that, since UPS doesn't offer shipping to residences of packages over 96" inches long, let alone their also being 5' high. But who knows what clout Amazon has. One reason may be because your not a Prime Member, and selected the least expensive shipping choice.

Ok...because of this post I just went back to the Amazon site to do a Track from that location, and lo & behold, the Tracking No# now contains a "Z" and a "A" in it....a sure sign that UPS is in fact the carrier.

..............however.....the Tracking info states the Package is in route to the "Carrier". This even though the expected delivery date states that today, 6/11/2014, I should expect delivery.

So off I clicked to UPS's own site, and when Tracked, their info said...and I quote; " A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Even more worrisome...the stated weight was just 2.5 lbs eek.gif (...probably a typo because I estimate the weight at 25 lbs...)

Which conjures up a scene in my mind where the Shipper(Amazon) generates a Shipping Label, and then calls for a Pick-up...and when the UPS Driver get's there he takes a look and says; "Oh Hell no!" tongue.gif

This is shaping up to be a real adventure, one being shared simultaneously by at least 4 of us. biggrin.gif

And to top it all off, my schedule has just dictated that I can't be at home to receive it, requiring my Wife to accept the delivery and inspect the "Package" for any outward sign of damage.

Lovely.

While I did order mine with Amazon Prime, your post had me check my own tracking weight.  So it gets stranger, as mine claims "1.10 lbs"...  It's otherwise "out for delivery" now, though I don't typically get UPS packages until closer to 5:30. 

post #14 of 67 Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Maybe the size is misquoted and what we are getting are 12.0" x 6.0" x 6mm tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #15 of 67 Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I had to do it.

The site just came back up....I have been waiting to relate my experience with my first order of SINTRA off Amazon.

And..........it was a bust. Literally.

I woke up to a notice that the shipment was en-route, but by mid-morning received another notice from Amazon that my shipment was heading back to them because of damage.

Soooo.....I called them up and basically went "Mississippi" on 'em and stated that I was sure that the shipping Dept must have failed miserably in the packing of what is a somewhat "large" flexible item.

The end result was a refund, and a immediate re-order of a 96" x 48" x 6mm sheet (...yeah, I gotta immediate need for one that size too....) and I took 'em up on their offer for Overnight Freight for gratis.

We'll see.

Now that we can get updates from the others who have ordered, it's gonna be an interesting next 48 hours.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 67 Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Well, mine is currently being held at the local UPS as tracking updated later in the day to being undeliverable due to size. So unfortunately I'll have to rent a U-Haul to pick it up. Will still end up cheaper in the end than what I was seeing on other sites where shipping alone would exceed the total with U-Haul.

Somewhat concerned now about the condition as I don't want to get there with a rental and not have something worth picking up :/
post #17 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'd bet that instead of damage, my own sheet met with the same determination. Either that or the delivery Driver gave it a swift kick in frustration !

It all seemed a bit incredulous that such a large item would slip under the radar of the size restrictions that exist with the standard Delivery. When I bumped up to Overnight, my shipper changed to FedEx Ground, which of course results in it shipping via Truck to the Depot. But like you Medisinyl , I'm fairly certain I too will have to pick it up, so I'm calling FedEx in the next 30 minutes to give them a heads up.

For those who do not have a local supplier, this option still remains as being one with no small advantage, even if going to pick it up at a local Depot does become the Status Quo.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #18 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Liked: 0
To relate another experience, my sheet was successfully delivered to my door a few minutes ago.

It is in decent condition I suppose. I can't really blame the delivery man for the outcome because it was in an incredibly flimsy package completely unsealed with no reinforcement around the edges and no protection around the sheet itself. Just moving it into the house by myself was frustrating.

There are some scuff marks, most of which brushed right off, the rest of which I'm pretty sure will come off with a magic eraser.

Some dents

And some gouges

I was planning to trim the board down anyway, so the dents on the edges don't worry me that much, but the gouges into the surface do. What would be the best way to level those out prior to painting to ensure they aren't visible in the final screen?
post #19 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just clicked on the link to the 120" x 60" size and here is what Amazon has posted:

Price:$121.96 & FREE Shipping. Details

Temporarily out of stock.

MMan, is that close to the price you've been able to get for folks who buy from a local distributor?
post #20 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by casselc View Post
To relate another experience, my sheet was successfully delivered to my door a few minutes ago.

It is in decent condition I suppose. I can't really blame the delivery man for the outcome because it was in an incredibly flimsy package completely unsealed with no reinforcement around the edges and no protection around the sheet itself. Just moving it into the house by myself was frustrating.

There are some scuff marks, most of which brushed right off, the rest of which I'm pretty sure will come off with a magic eraser.

Some dents

And some gouges

I was planning to trim the board down anyway, so the dents on the edges don't worry me that much, but the gouges into the surface do. What would be the best way to level those out prior to painting to ensure they aren't visible in the final screen?
Are the gouges on both sides? Can the sheet be trimmed to eliminate them from one side and maintain the wanted screen size?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #21 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
Are the gouges on both sides? Can the sheet be trimmed to eliminate them from one side and maintain the wanted screen size?
The gouge pictured is ~4 inches long. The other side has a gouge probably 4 feet long running down the length of the board. Unfortunately both of them are located such that I can't just trim them off.

The plan was to create a 48x85 zero-edge screen which I'd hoped would only require me to make one square cut to trim down from 96" to 85". As it is currently it looks like I either have to cut a minimum of 1/4" off of all four sides to get rid of the dents, or add at least a small amount of trim to overlap the dented areas along the edge.

At this point I'm considering returning the item and spending more time looking for a local source. I'd held off on buying anything for the last few months because I'm still trying to work out other layout and wiring issues in the room, but free Prime shipping from the comfort of my couch was enough to push me into impulse-buy mode.
post #22 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The gouges, if they consist of depressions that are below the surface and the edges are not raised....can be filled easily with Drywall compound applied directly into the "gouges". 1 coat to start....let dry, lightly sand, then a 2nd coat to level....then sand. Spray on a Primer coat (x 2-3) and your there.

No protection at all for the edges and sides? Well that isn't gonna float......I have been speaking to Amazon about these matters, warning them of the necessity to package the material correctly. So you can be sure they are already aware of the issues.

BTW, mine is still in the delivery Pipeline.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #23 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I just clicked on the link to the 120" x 60" size and here is what Amazon has posted:

Price:$121.96 & FREE Shipping. Details

Temporarily out of stock.

MMan, is that close to the price you've been able to get for folks who buy from a local distributor?
Including Tax.....yes.

That price....seems it just went up $15.00 already.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #24 of 67 Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The gouges, if they consist of depressions that are below the surface and the edges are not raised....can be filled easily with Drywall compound applied directly into the "gouges". 1 coat to start....let dry, lightly sand, then a 2nd coat to level....then sand. Spray on a Primer coat (x 2-3) and your there.

No protection at all for the edges and sides? Well that isn't gonna float......I have been speaking to Amazon about these matters, warning them of the necessity to package the material correctly. So you can be sure they are already aware of the issues.

BTW, mine is still in the delivery Pipeline.
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. I wasn't sure how well drywall compound would adhere to the sintra material.

And no, no protection for the sheet at alI. I can take some pictures of the packaging when I get back home. Basically just two cardboard sleeves maybe 96 x 42 or so slid into each other to form a box around the sheet. A single piece of tape around the gap that was already loose when I received the box and a couple of wads of brown packing paper inside the box. I left packaging feedback for sure. A handful of foam blocks or something in the corners and halfway around either side would go along way to giving the package a lot more rigidity.
post #25 of 67 Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here is my latest update.

I received notice this AM that my type of shipping was changed to FedEx Home Delivery, and my expected delivery date is Saturday 14th. The product was coming from Chattanooga, TN and is currently in Nashville. So we will see.......

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #26 of 67 Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM

Rented a Uhaul to grab it today. Unfortunately the sheet had ZERO packaging (just the board with shipping labels stuck on it). Has footprints on both sides and significant scarring on both sides. Didn't want to leave empty handed with the Uhaul and such, so I took it with hopes that I can repair it all well enough. Everyone at UPS was shocked that it would be sent that way or even accepted by UPS to begin with. Initially they told me they'd file a damage report and just say they couldn't send it back (essentially giving me the board for free). Then a manager came out as I was pulling out that stopped that from happening. Fact I had it all loaded and such was part of what led me to just accept it (was apprehensive until they offered to file a damage report).

At least I'll try to get some more use out of the rental today.
post #27 of 67 Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygearjunkie View Post
Sintra board scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Hope all of ours aren't beat to Hell.
Gone 1 1/2 hours. 60"X120" Sintra board leaning against my house when I got home. Absolutely no wrapping or protection of any kind. Just a UPS sticker. Luckily just seems to be marked up with minor dings. Should be able to get a 120" screen out of it. Will email UPS. I mean, damn, is a little shrink wrap going to kill them?
post #28 of 67 Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Both of you please call Amazon Customer Service @ 206*922*0880 and tell them how the Shipping Department handled (...or mishandled...) protecting the shipment.

UPS was just the Delivery Service.......don't rag them out. If it came barely marred, then they actually treated it with so respect.

Call Amazon and be polite but firmly expressive....and be sure to have your Order No# handy.

The higher-ups actually do want to address such concerns, so advocacy by us, the Consumer is their only way to do so.

It will amount to doing a service for all who deign to follow in our footsteps.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Last edited by MississippiMan; 06-13-2014 at 10:25 AM.
post #29 of 67 Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM

I wasn't upset with UPS at all. Just called Amazon and expressed that it wasn't a fault on the part of UPS and that the packaging issue needs to be reported. They first offered to send out UPS to pick it up for a refund, but I explained that it wasn't likely that they would take it (that I didn't even get an actual delivery in the first place) and that the product was in unsaleable condition. I also added that I spent a day waiting for a product that didn't arrive and had to rent a uhaul (putting me in an awkward position when I saw the damaged, unprotected board and had to make a decision). I asked for at least a partial refund and the response was a full refund and I get to keep the board. So the best outcome I could expect given the circumstances.

EDIT: As a side note, there has been another small price hike to $123.82 (the third price increase I've noticed since I purchased mine).

Last edited by Medisinyl; 06-13-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #30 of 67 Old 06-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Both of you please call Amazon Customer Service @ 206*922*0880 and tell them how the Shipping Department handled (...or mishandled...) protecting the shipment.

UPS was just the Delivery Service.......don't rag them out. If it came barely marred, then they actually treated it with so respect.

Call Amazon and be polite but firmly expressive....and be sure to have your Order No# handy.

The higher-ups actually do want to address such concerns, so advocacy by us, the Consumer is their only way to do so.

It will amount to doing a service for all who deign to follow in our footsteps.
Called Amazon Customer Service. Told them how the product arrived and was very nice about it. Tried to explain what the AVS Forum was and how much we appreciate Amazon carrying this product, but I speak Kentucky English and I was having a hard time trying to pin down his accent. Like I thought, Amazon orders directly from the manufacturer. All I ask was for them to ask for a little shrink wrap, to at least keep the board clean. Hopefully the next person will have a cleaner non-damaged board.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page