Help with my black border - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with my black border

Just wanna know what is the best way to set up your black border around the screen.

Ideally, the border should be exactly where the screen stops, but its pretty much impossible to get perfect.

Is it better to have some of your screen leaking on the border, or should you leave a little gap so none of your screen gets projected onto the black border.

Gonna try to get super close either way, but just want to know which way I should go if I cant get it perfect.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaguy07 View Post
Just wanna know what is the best way to set up your black border around the screen.

Ideally, the border should be exactly where the screen stops, but its pretty much impossible to get perfect.

Is it better to have some of your screen leaking on the border, or should you leave a little gap so none of your screen gets projected onto the black border.

Gonna try to get super close either way, but just want to know which way I should go if I cant get it perfect.

Thanks!
If you can project your image first and then take accurate measurements, allowing for just 1/8" overspill will be fine.

But bear in mind that when you zoom in-out, that the Width always changes disproportionately more than the Height

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just finished the border, thanks! I wasn't sure which way I should lean if I couldn't get it perfect. I saw as I was hanging it that having a little screen right on the border isn't a bad thing. Im amazed how much better it looks with a black border. In the past I either had none, or used red curtains on the sides. Huge improvement.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Great to hear of your success and approval.

Now give us some Eye Candy to drool over......please!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Heres a quick pic:

Screen is about 10 feet measured diagonally. Projector is a Epson 8310.
Painted the screen with ProClassic Smooth Enamel Satin by sherwin williams.

I might change the screen color to something flatter and maybe a little grey.

The screen is in the basement, but its so big that the ceiling is white and makes the image a little too light sometimes. Also the position the projector is located (high), and the enamel makes the reflective part in the middle a little annoying.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

The use of Satin was wrongly advocated by PC....it would NEVER be suggested by those who actually make it a daily practice to advise DIY'ers. Honestly, the PC article has repeatedly done more disservice to wannabe DIY screen makers than can easily be tallied.

Satin was used a'way back in the day when most PJ's sported lumen outputs at/below 400 in best mode. Even then the tendency for excessive sheen was noted, and deemed a poor trade-off to attempt to achieve slightly more gain.

A far more correct choice (suggestion) would have been SW Duration in "Flat", tinted to a N8.5 shade

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The use of Satin was wrongly advocated by PC....it would NEVER be suggested by those who actually make it a daily practice to advise DIY'ers. Honestly, the PC article has repeatedly done more disservice to wannabe DIY screen makers than can easily be tallied.

Satin was used a'way back in the day when most PJ's sported lumen outputs at/below 400 in best mode. Even then the tendency for excessive sheen was noted, and deemed a poor trade-off to attempt to achieve slightly more gain.

A far more correct choice (suggestion) would have been SW Duration in "Flat", tinted to a N8.5 shade
How does the duration compare to Behr Silverscreen? I might have some of that lying around from the first screen I painted. If not I can go pick up some and re-paint it, no big deal.

I recently just painted the whole basement with Behr Marquee and it was the best paint I ever used. One coat guarantee actually worked. Can I buy Behr Marquee and have it tinted to the right shade I need? I think they offer a flat enamel, is that the same thing?

And should I go a little grayer considering that the ceiling really lights up the room when its a light scene on the screen?

Thanks! and sorry for all the questions!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page