Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Screen paint for new projector

Hello!

So I recently found a good deal on a used jvc dla-rs1 projector and it will be here this week. Like just moved in to my first house so this will be my first dedicated set up. I'm going to try to go the diy route for the screen.

I ordered and received some screen material. It's called carls blackout cloth which has a 1.0 gain and I'm thinking about a 92". I'm going to try to build the frame tomorrow and I'm trying to get the most out of my projector.

I have read through a lot of these forums and I can't seem to find a consensus on a good choice for paint for the blackout cloth and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, particularly from anyone who has or had this projector.

My main concern is black levels, so a paint that gets the most punchy blacks would be a big plus.

Looking forward to seeing the opinions on this thread and thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 257
A RS-1, eh? That's a olde but an original goodie. 700 lumens @ 15K:1 Contrast

I know it well, having done several systems with it, including an incredible 215" Drywall screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Up yours Jack Black.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	146442

But I used a Mix called S-I-L-V-E-R, a high gain, spray-on only application for that monster.

At 92" diagonal, and if you can place the PJ at a throw distance between 9.5' & 10.5', you could use Silver Fire v2.5 with no added colorant and get spectacular "Interstellar Deep Black" results without sacrificing one bit of lumen output doing so.

My only real concern is that you opted for BOC, which is in fact a more labor intensive material....one that needs to be primed and sanded before you apply a high contrast, high resolution Paint via Sprayer. And SF does demand spraying.

Flexi-White would have been highly preferable, and frankly speaking, at the screen size your doing, switching over would only cost $54.00 (shipped rolled on a Tube) and the resulting ease of applying it to a Frame combined with the lack of need for priming / sanding would make it a worthwhile investment.

And...if you purchased a stock-sized piece of BOC ( 66" x 110 ) for $39.95 and have not cut into it in any way, a Call to Carl's Place requesting an exchange will undoubtedly be honored (...and if your BOC came folded in a box, it would be advisable in any case...) Just tell 'em Maurice advised you to switch up and just maybe they will comply with no issue at all.

There it is....my best advice. Run with it...or run screaming the opposite direction.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
A RS-1, eh? That's a olde but an original goodie. 700 lumens @ 15K:1 Contrast

I know it well, having done several systems with it, including an incredible 215" Drywall screen.

Attachment 146442

But I used a Mix called S-I-L-V-E-R, a high gain, spray-on only application for that monster.

At 92" diagonal, and if you can place the PJ at a throw distance between 9.5' & 10.5', you could use Silver Fire v2.5 with no added colorant and get spectacular "Interstellar Deep Black" results without sacrificing one bit of lumen output doing so.

My only real concern is that you opted for BOC, which is in fact a more labor intensive material....one that needs to be primed and sanded before you apply a high contrast, high resolution Paint via Sprayer. And SF does demand spraying.

Flexi-White would have been highly preferable, and frankly speaking, at the screen size your doing, switching over would only cost $54.00 (shipped rolled on a Tube) and the resulting ease of applying it to a Frame combined with the lack of need for priming / sanding would make it a worthwhile investment.

And...if you purchased a stock-sized piece of BOC ( 66" x 110 ) for $39.95 and have not cut into it in any way, a Call to Carl's Place requesting an exchange will undoubtedly be honored (...and if your BOC came folded in a box, it would be advisable in any case...) Just tell 'em Maurice advised you to switch up and just maybe they will comply with no issue at all.

There it is....my best advice. Run with it...or run screaming the opposite direction.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, unfortunately my free days are few and far between so I'm gonna try to paint the blackout cloth tomorrow, I'll give it some primer and run around getting what I need for the silverfire tomorrow. I'll post pics when it's done. Thanks again!
post #4 of 12 Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, get the priming done first. The ingredients required for Silver Fire are almost assuredly not going to all be available locally. I appreciate you lack of available time, but Brother, this sorta thing is not to be considered a "Rush" job.

BOC surfaces are never fully white, but more like a very light Gray. Priming with a White is required to prep the surface for painting more advanced coating, all of which do not suffer any degree of surface texture. This requires Paining, sanding, and applying another two thing coats of primer.

You just might want to haul up short of Priming, and shoot onto the smooth side of the BOC with the RS-1. Your gonna get decent Blacks from BOC (...some even swear by them...or at we who suggest painting... )

Give the BOC it's shot. If you have to wait until you get all the SF components assembled and for another break in the schedule (...all you'll need is one dedicated day's worth of time...) then you'll not only be able to get in some actual viewing time, you will either have a better sense of what more you want to achieve, or perhaps find yourself damnable happy with the status quo.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 12 Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help

Thanks for the help. I ended up following your advice and decided to just give it a go with the boc first. Here is my frame and a picture of my completed screen. It's not perfect but for my first diy build its not too bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	150922   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	150930  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

It does indeed look very good.

Please post some screen shots as soon as it is convenient for you to do so.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, the projector will be delivered tomorrow so i'll grab some screens tomorrow and toss them up.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

A few shots

Alright, just got the projector. I had to leave for work so didn't have time to play with any settings so this is straight out of the box, with the screen just mounted on the floor temporarily, but I think even with some ambient light it looks really good. The bulb has a lot of hours on it but it came with a replacement so it will need replaced almost right away. I'll post more when everything is in it's permanent set up. This is my first projector so mounting and running the wires is going to be a new challenge for me ha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	153617   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (2).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	153625  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It does indeed look very good.

Please post some screen shots as soon as it is convenient for you to do so.
Thanks again for your help. Here are some screens now that my build is almost complete. I think the black levels are very impressive for being blackout cloth. Sorry for the grain i took the shots on my phone

Name:	photo 1 (5).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	205785

Name:	photo 2 (4).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	205793

Name:	photo 3 (1).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	205801
post #10 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, using a JVC, one can expect to get the best possible results out of a decent 1.0 gain surface.

But for the record, BOC usually comes in much closer to 0.85 / 0.9, hence why it does in fact help out a bit with the retention of projected blacks.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, using a JVC, one can expect to get the best possible results out of a decent 1.0 gain surface.

But for the record, BOC usually comes in much closer to 0.85 / 0.9, hence why it does in fact help out a bit with the retention of projected blacks.
Yeah, I was slightly worried about the gain and the fairly low lumen count on the rs1, but my room is very dark and at the distance I have it it's still a very punchy bright image so i'm very happy with it.

Columbus, Ohio Build

Here is my build thread if you care to take a look, i'll have better pics up soon once I get permanent lighting installed
post #12 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Nice room......It will be even nicer once fully completed so that makes the waiting even more worth it.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page