is there a spray on adhesive?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
is there a spray on adhesive??

Havening hard time finding a spray on adhesive to attach Mylar to material. I bought this 3m stuff that was spray on but it shoots it out like silly string or web looking stuff.I need a spray adhesive that sprays out like a can of spray paint so I can stand at a distance so i can apply it in a mist to my substrate. Also needs to have a strong adhesive when it dries. I dont care how long it takes to fully dry just that is dries strong so material wont bunch up once I put some duster coats on it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive
Old 07-05-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't shoot out looking like silly string stuff but like a spray paint mist?? Have you used it much??if so tell me about its characteristic please.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I used this for adhering carpet to some custom fiberglass and it worked very well. Had to pull one off to fix an error and thought I would break the mold. Loctite. It does come out in a spray. Not silly string at all.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you medis for the info. It will help me out. Do any stores like home depot, Lowe's or what ever carry the product?? I know Amazon carries it. Little pricesy but seems to be worth if it does the job well.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post
Thank you medis for the info. It will help me out. Do any stores like home depot, Lowe's or what ever carry the product?? I know Amazon carries it. Little pricesy but seems to be worth if it does the job well.
Yes, I've seen it in one or both of those. Don't recall if Wal Mart has it or not. Otherwise, I've also used the 3M stuff noted above and it sprays well too if you see that and not the other.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Once this stuff dries how translucent is?...how in the world did I gethat face emote up there...pay no attention to it.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Once this stuff dries how translucent is?...how in the world did I gethat face emote up there...pay no attention to it.
I'd say a "flat" clear if that makes sense--almost frosted glass look. However, if it were seen through another material pressed against it, I'm not sure.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medisinyl View Post
I used this for adhering carpet to some custom fiberglass and it worked very well. Had to pull one off to fix an error and thought I would break the mold. Loctite. It does come out in a spray. Not silly string at all.

Thanks Medis for the product info. I just ordered some from amazon since I have some reward points from my amazon credit car. I also saw that this can sprays out the product in a fine mist which is exactly what I'm looking for so i can put down a FINE layer on my substrate without it it pushing the mylar up once dried. Have you used this by chance for laying Mylar down or anything that you've painted on??? If so how did you go about it??
Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Swanson View Post
3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive
Kyel, have you by chance used the 3M hi-tack 76 "Clear" spray??? If so how clear was it after it dried??
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does the Loctite spray adhesiveness bond become harder over time?? Last thing i want is to glue the mylar unto my substrate and spray paint on it only to have the mylar begin to pull of the substrate as the paint cures on the Mylar.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Does the Loctite spray adhesiveness bond become harder over time?? Last thing i want is to glue the mylar unto my substrate and spray paint on it only to have the mylar begin to pull of the substrate as the paint cures on the Mylar.
Currently away from home and typing on a phone, but when I had to pull the carpet up, the adhesive was very well cured in a short time--no tackiness. However, having used it on a non-porous foil material in the past, that application remained tacky underneath for a long while. Some experimenting with drying time before application may help determine final cure time after it is applied. As I've never used it under your circumstances I can't offer much specific help. If you have time, doing small tests on the exact materials should give you an answer. With the foil, I just had to wait longer than I normally would before applying.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Currently away from home and typing on a phone, but when I to pull the carpet up, the adhesive was very well cured in a short time--no tackiness. However, having used it on a non-porous foil material in the past, that application remained tacky underneath for a long while. Some experimenting with drying time before application may help determine final cure time after it is applied. As I've never used it under your circumstances I can't offer much specific help. If you have time, doing small tests on the exact materials should give you an answer. With the foil, I just had to wait longer than I normally would before applying.
Did the Mylar finally adhere to the substrate strong enough to allow you to paint on without fear of the coming off? I dont mind if it takes a couple weeks or couple months for it to dry enough to paint on just that it dries. What substrate did use to put the mMylar on?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Did the Mylar finally adhere to the substrate strong enough to allow you to paint on without fear of the coming off? I dont mind if it takes a couple weeks or couple months for it to dry enough to paint on just that it dries. What substrate did use to put the mMylar on?
I've never used Mylar. Most of my experience with spray adhesive is automotive related. My recommendation would be to not adhere the mylar with the adhesive too fresh/wet (5+ minutes after spraying perhaps--do a few test sprays to see how it sets up in your environment [humidity/temp., etc.]), then if you have the luxury/patience to do so, wait 3-4 weeks before any painting. May have been about 4 weeks before the foil application cured properly--more porous materials will cure much faster.

On a side note--I recently saw the Loctite spray in Lowes.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've never used Mylar. Most of my experience with spray adhesive is automotive related. My recommendation would be to not adhere the mylar with the adhesive too fresh/wet (5+ minutes after spraying perhaps--do a few test sprays to see how it sets up in your environment [humidity/temp., etc.]), then if you have the luxury/patience to do so, wait 3-4 weeks before any painting. May have been about 4 weeks before the foil application cured properly--more porous materials will cure much faster.

On a side note--I recently saw the Loctite spray in Lowes.
My can of loctite came in today so ill get mess.around with. Ill spray and note the results of it on substrates over the next couple weeks. I have a few ideas and want to see how they pan out.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

So, I felt it was time for an update on how I was coming a long on finding a spray adhesive for attaching Mylar or another material to a surface. I went ahead and picked up some of the Loctite spray adhesive to give it a go.
For my material to attach the Mylar to, I got some thrifty white hardwood from Lowe's and had it cut into multiple strips of 1foot wide pieces. I also roughed up the the top of the board with some coarse sandpaper and the left the bottom half untouched. Unfortunately, even though the loctite sprays in a mist forum and I was able to spray a very light layer on, the spray still dries into small pieces of tacky material that brings up a big problem after Mylar was pressed perfectly flat.the dried glue ends up making the Mylar look like grains of sand were under it. Looked like it had goose bumps, to quote mississippiman.I found that using any adhesive that dried in the form of tack like that could not be used. It kept the Mylar from lying perfectly flat on the TWH. After thinking about the problems I was having and trying to figure out what would be the best rout, I decided that the best type of adhesive would have to be something is more in a liquid state so it could be squeezed out after pressing the Mylar down and it would need to be a slow drying substance that would allow me to have plenty of time to lay the Mylar flat on. Anything tacky would cause the goosebumps.
After brainstorming with thought that maybe the best adhesive would be.......paint...preferably primer due to it better binding properties. It dries slowly and is in a liquid state till it dries. I thought, why not. I bought some spray on valspar, latex based, primer made for plastics. Thought the plastic version spray might provide better adhesive. Also bought a quart container of water based kiltz primer, which I haven't used yet but will morrow.
I took another piece of TWH, and before sanding, first I put a bunch of slices in it with a razor bladed, then took the coarse sandpaper and sanded it to make rough it up but also served to smooth out the top the TWH from digging deep into it with the razor blade.
I sprayed on layer that wasn't to thick or to thin. I then begin to press the Mylar on and smoothing it out. It seemed to fit the build. Once done there were minor little bumps but even some of those disappeared after drying. Putting those slits with the razor blade also served as little trenches for the excess paint and gave some porrous material for the paint to soak into. I need to mess around with it alittle more to get some of the kinks out. I also will allow the paint to dry over the next few weeks to see if the Mylar adheres strong enough to allow me to paint on top of the Mylar.
It seems like using paint might fit the bill but only time will tell as I see how it dries.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Bravo!

Of course only a full sized example will tell the tale completely. ..but it looks like you solved an issue that has plagued all who have aspired to adhere Mylar to another surface without bubbles.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement