Spandex Screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-06-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Spandex Screens

I"m getting ready to build an outdoor screen about 10'x18' or so, which is what projector central says my Sony can support from 21' away.

Anyhow, I"m trying to compare the offerings between Dazian & Spandex World for the 120" offerings respectively.

I'm thinking about this particular choice, it happens to be the cheapest but it also looks like it will have little to no stretch.
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/11873

If I get 6 yards, which is what I need, then I'm wondering if it will still be wrinkle free when I pull it taught.

Has anyone used this particular material?

Should I stay away and go with more spandex?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-06-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 250
You are right...the type Spandex shown does not have any real stretch-ability....more akin to Blackout Cloth.

So you really should scale back your screen size to 116" x 206" ( 9.6' x 17') so you have some "Pull & Staple" area.

Exactly which SONY do you have / are you getting? Spandex will eat up a substantial amount of the lumen output. I know it's no too expensive (Spandex) but you will need two layers, and that will amount to 6 yards x 2 (12 yards) @ 60.00 x 2 for 120.00 total.

Consider Flexi-White instead @ 126" x 224" for $169.00. You only need 1 layer, it does stretch 4 -ways making installation onto a big frame all the more easier, and at 126" wide before stretching you could have the original sized screen you were planning on. Also, Flexi-White is 1.2 gain where Spandex will at best be 0.8 gain....a huge variable when you have a 200"+ screen.

Personally, I would advise getting the 126" wide (Tall actually) Flexi cut to 116" so that it can ship "Rolled" not folded. At 116" it will still have PLENTY of stretch to accommodate a 120" Tall sized Frame. Do that and you'll have both the Gain you need, as well as a easy installation that carries virtually no risk of nary a wrinkle.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 3 Old 07-06-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
You are right...the type Spandex shown does not have any real stretch-ability....more akin to Blackout Cloth.

So you really should scale back your screen size to 116" x 206" ( 9.6' x 17') so you have some "Pull & Staple" area.

Exactly which SONY do you have / are you getting? Spandex will eat up a substantial amount of the lumen output. I know it's no too expensive (Spandex) but you will need two layers, and that will amount to 6 yards x 2 (12 yards) @ 60.00 x 2 for 120.00 total.

Consider Flexi-White instead @ 126" x 224" for $169.00. You only need 1 layer, it does stretch 4 -ways making installation onto a big frame all the more easier, and at 126" wide before stretching you could have the original sized screen you were planning on. Also, Flexi-White is 1.2 gain where Spandex will at best be 0.8 gain....a huge variable when you have a 200"+ screen.

Personally, I would advise getting the 126" wide (Tall actually) Flexi cut to 116" so that it can ship "Rolled" not folded. At 116" it will still have PLENTY of stretch to accommodate a 120" Tall sized Frame. Do that and you'll have both the Gain you need, as well as a easy installation that carries virtually no risk of nary a wrinkle.
Thanks for the info.

I think it's a Sony VPL-something, its an older unit that I got as a hand me down and I got to see it used with just some bed sheets that were sewn together which for me just getting started will be fine. It wasn't overly bright so I'm sure I'll be looking to upgrade maybe next year, just want to get my feet under me first and get something setup before the end of the summer.

I thought I would use spandex on a pvc frame with some of those fabric pipe clamps/clips. I called the Dazian folks on Thursday and the lady tried to talk me into getting a piece at 10 yards that I could double up on and with the discounted price I wouldn't be paying that much more.

If I were to consider the Flexi-White instead I think I would need a different way to mount the screen? Or could I use the same type of clamp to pvc?
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page