Suggestions on adding black velvet edging - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Suggestions on adding black velvet edging

I just finished my diy screen thanks to Mississippi Man (used flexi-white from Carl's Place) and had planned on adding a black velvet 2" border with self adhesive from JVCC on Amazon. So I built the frame 2" longer on every side. When the felt came in I held it up while playing a movie and it does a horrible job of absorbing the light even though the reviews on it are stellar besides the adhesive not being strong enough on some screen materials. Everyone talked about how it absorbed the light and made it look so much better. While holding it up I noticed it doesnt absorb much of anything and just looks like I am projecting on something black. So now I need to figure out a way to easily add a black border so that I can spill over and watch 2.35 as well as 2.40 movies with no black bars. Any ideas other than building a separate frame to go around this screen?? Thanks everyone!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a cell phone photo. Sorry for the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10500383_660210924069013_1620927230085399656_n.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	162353  
post #3 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 351
You can spend an inordinate amount of time looking around, but the best stuff possible is this....bar none.

http://www.protostar.biz/hitack.htm

Look for the
FPT-250 Light trap tape roll, self-adhesive; 1-5/8" width x 250 ft

Since the Frame is a bit bigger, simply paint the remaining 3/8" outside edge with Disney's Mouse Ears in a Satin Enamel.
gman1217 likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM. I will take a look at that. I decided against the Mouse ears by the way and went with a really, really dark brown. Looks pretty good. Thanks for all your help with the screen! My friends and neighbors love how it is turning out although nowhere near finished. Still need to build a riser, stage and soffits. Add all the lighting, run wires in wall and get rid of the tv stand with all equipment in the closet. Thats where I want to be. Takes time though huh, lol
post #5 of 6 Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 351
OK...just be aware the the Light Trap Tape is just that, material designed for completely absorbing light reflections in the interior of Telescopes.

Iffin' ya gotta use a Tape Border, that's your Huckleberry.

Oh yeah....it's adhesive is verrrrryy aggressive, so be sure you get it placed correctly. You cannot pull it off and/or reposition it in any way. One advantage to that is that it will stick to almost any dry, clean surface..................and stay stuck.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #6 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I built a frame for my DIY screen and used 4.5 inch black velvet border tape that I purchased from eBay. Don't go for the cheapest, the stuff I bought was great quality and easy to work with, and the finished product looks fantastic, IMHO. Yes, the adhesive is very sticky and permanent but this is what you want, and I had no trouble applying it to my frame material (didn't even need any help). I'm not sure if this is a similar type of material to what MississippiMan is recommending but the stuff I used is great for light absorption. Around $60 for 35 feet.

I got some great advice from MississippiMan on building and mounting the frame (here's the link to the thread I started and the help he gave:

Adding a border or frame to an existing screen

Having a separate border/frame really worked for me. I completely remodeled my home theater last Christmas (still finishing up the last details 7 months later!) and it was extremely convenient to be able to easily remove and rehang the border frame and screen (I added another layer of drywall and green glue to my screen wall during the remodel).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page