Joanne's black velvet not perfect? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Joanne's black velvet not perfect?

I just bought black velvet (not velveteen) from Joanne's and just holding it up I can still see the edges of the overspill. Did I buy the wrong thing or am I just expecting too much? It was $19.99/yd and I used a 50% off coupon but I am not going to try and make it work if I got the wrong stuff. Is it supposed to be thick and plush because mine although thick doesn't have a plush pile to it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchambers_18 View Post
I just bought black velvet (not velveteen) from Joanne's and just holding it up I can still see the edges of the overspill. Did I buy the wrong thing or am I just expecting too much? It was $19.99/yd and I used a 50% off coupon but I am not going to try and make it work if I got the wrong stuff. Is it supposed to be thick and plush because mine although thick doesn't have a plush pile to it. Thanks
Should have been called Royalty 3 and the price is now $19 so unless someone put something else on the ream should be correct. If you are standing right in front of the screen holding the fabric you will still be able to see the spill.. I personally don't let the image spill, I would rather have it just shy of the screen boarder since you will never see that in the dark.. Velvet is not shag.. it has a short pill maybe a 1/6 or 3/32 deep. I would take a picture but hey, you really can not photograph black velvet.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I have found that the JoAnn Royalty 3 is not as effective as the offering from Sy's

Now I have used it on two occasions, (...when time and availability necessitated such...) but as Airscapes noted, if used properly, one does not allow a great deal of overspill outside the imaged area. Under those circumstances, a very small line area into the edges is virtually unnoticeable, and allows for a perfect blending.

The Royalty 3 has a smoother surface than the Plush Triple Black from Sy's. There is a difference, and that difference does amount to the Triple having a measurably better absorption.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I have found that the JoAnn Royalty 3 is not as effective as the offering from Sy's

Now I have used it on two occasions, (...when time and availability necessitated such...) but as Airscapes noted, if used properly, one does not allow a great deal of overspill outside the imaged area. Under those circumstances, a very small line area into the edges is virtually unnoticeable, and allows for a perfect blending.

The Royalty 3 has a smoother surface than the Plush Triple Black from Sy's. There is a difference, and that difference does amount to the Triple having a measurably better absorption.
Taking this in the other direction where Black Velvet is used, the Royalty 3 is better for wall and ceiling treatments as it does not wrinkle like the SY Triple black. I have both as when I made my removable wall treatment I reused the SY I had in my previous setup along with new Royalty 3. There is no visible difference when hanging as far as light absorption, but the way it hangs is where the R3 is superior. I also fold up the wall panels and the R3 never shows any muss like the SY does. Not that this matters for the OPs project but wanted to have that fact documented for those who may come along later. I also had NO issues with the 3M 77 soaking through the R3 when attaching it to plywood panels and my metal screen case. To be honest I did not use the SY for this but had read other posts when researching about beading through if to much was used on the SY.