Biggest screen my wall can fit - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Biggest screen my wall can fit

I built the frame for 2.35, image size 145.5" w by 62" h but was disappointed with the 16:9 image within it (110.2 x 62). When I project the largest 16:9 image my wall can accommodate (136.9 x 77) the 2.35 image with those dimensions are also disappointing.

So I was wondering if anyone has just built the biggest screen their wall can fit that isn't a particular aspect ratio and uses masking for each aspect. The biggest screen image (frame adds 7 inches) I can fit is 145.5 w by 77 h. This gives me a 2.35 screen image of 145.5 w by 62 h and a 16:9 screen image of 136.9 w by 77 h.

Since this is my first home theater just looking for any pros/cons. Projector is the Panasonic 8000ae. Will be watching 60% movies, 30% video games, 10% sports.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Oh it's been done fur sur.

Now with such large screens, the degree of reflections off the Ceiling / Walls / Floors will be your 2nd most pressing issue. You'd simply have to restrict the degree of returning projected light by using a specific, light absorbing paint scheme. Very dark Painted Ceiling (...but not Black...so ugly...) and a darker Floor covering and a similar dark Painted wall (2-3 shades lighter than the Ceiling...)

The 1st and foremost issue to address would be Screen gain . You cannot fudge on the type of paint nor the necessary preparation of the wall. I say "wall" because trying to build a Frame Screen as large as you are considering will entail a far more difficult project, and more difficult masking scheme than working with a Flat, smooth Wall surface would.

The remaining issue will be Masking the lower portion of the 2.39:1 light spill. But I have a few ideas. You would have to of course be prepared to have to set up a Decor-oriented masking, lest the entire thing look decidedly Hodge-podge when the lights are up.

Side-pull Curtains on manual Travis Rods for 16:9 masking.....a Roman Shade type Top mask....and a "set up required" Bottom Mask for 2.39:1

And lastly, should you wish to have any degree of artificial lighting on to any degree, it must be direct-able....preventing any wash onto the screen.

Sounds like a lot...but it's not really. But every mentioned aspect is critical. Disallow or ignore any one of 'em, and you'll not get a perfect viewing environment.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply MMan. The WAF has dictated the paint tannish/gold and the carpet is a dark theater red. Just projecting on the wall has given me an idea of how bright the theater is even though the Seymour XD screen material will undoubtably make it brighter. We can live with it.

I was going to build the masking and attach to the screen with magnets attached to the framing but I like your suggestion and the ability it gives me to adjust the masking size. Another research project. There's 3 different lighting sources all controllable so hopefully it's not too overbearing.

Thank you for the suggestions.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Seymour XD, eh?

Too bad that.....unless your needing AT material, which I had not seen mentioned.

...............and if not, the wall serviced with the right paint will do a even better job, the color and gain can be perfectly mated to your Room's and Projector's needs, and wind up saving you a butt load of cash as well.

And of course, it amounts to being the epitome of true DIY Screen making, naturally.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply DIY Screen Section
Gear in this thread - 8000ae. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page