DIY Floor Raising Screen for End of Bed - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb DIY Floor Raising Screen for End of Bed

Hi all, I believe this might be my first official post in a very long time. I have lurked in the dedicated forums for ages but never have posted much. I am coming with a request that hopefully the great DIY brains here can come up with a solution.

Basically what I am looking for is a hiding projector screen for the end of my King sized bed. Wife wants it not visible unless in use. Now I had come up with a fairly decent solution of using one of those retracting pull down window darkening blinds from Lowes that is about 60" wide however I need a way to stabilize the back and sides to stay up. If this can be powered even better!

I have read about people using window wiper motors for DIY tv lifts and Scissor jacks to make things work. Is there a way to create something like this with either of those? I will be throwing a nice pico projector at it from the head of our bed. The better it looks and functions the better I will be able to get it past the wife haha. This solution is better than trying to raise a tv from some dresser or box at the end of the bed. And less involved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaInstalle View Post
This solution is better than trying to raise a tv from some dresser or box at the end of the bed. And less involved!
I don't understand.. they sell the furniture for this, all you do is buy it, attach the tv and hit the remote button and up comes the 60" TV.. Nothing to do but lay back and watch..

Problems I see with a pico projector is that there will be an offset.. and the image will most likely be to high to hit the screen if the projector on the head board.. would need to be mounted upside down, if they can at the screen top..
Also audio.. where is that coming from?

Anything can be done with enough money.. if you are trying to do this on a shoe string.. I would suggest a tripod screen that you put in the closet when not in use.. Fast, inexpensive, flexible (can be used anywhere including on vacations) and requires no DIY..
Dalite PictureKing portables are very well made and will last many decades of up and down every night.. I used to do this in my living room for several years before updating my living room with a pull down.

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Please read back. I am not wanting to spend thousands of dollars for a tv lift nor do I want a TV lift box at the end of my bed. The Pico can be angled downward to fix the offset if need or upsidedown either way.

Audio will come from the projector itself or from computer powered speakers. This is going to be replacing a laptop that we currently use with our XBMC setup. I am not going high end audiophile here. I have a dedicated theater space for this. I want a solution for my bedroom for tv and movies at night and not have a tv in the bedroom.

The Tripod might work if I can conceal it pretty well. I might look into one that I will remove the legs and figure a way to mount to the internal bed frame. And see about possibly powering it.

Last edited by VirginiaInstalle; 07-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Something like this would be simple to buy. However I want ease of setup every night.. And possibility of powering.. Which is why I am looking at DIY as I do not want to spend thousands to make it work.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-.../dp/B000PHLC7I
post #5 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

As a reply to myself haha. I think I might have come across a possibility to DIY. Using a type of worm gear/step motor like below. Picture was not resized so I just linked to it

http://i46.tinypic.com/11ugciw.jpg

Last edited by VirginiaInstalle; 07-22-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mods can this be moved to the DIY screen subcategory? Sorry I did not pay attention when posting.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Please read back. I am not wanting to spend thousands of dollars for a tv lift nor do I want a TV lift box at the end of my bed.
The Tripod might work if I can conceal it pretty well. I might look into one that I will remove the legs and figure a way to mount to the internal bed frame. And see about possibly powering it.
Please excuse "Scapes". Sometimes in the rush to respond and make sense of requests, we all can focus on our own solution and overlook obvious stated intentions.

I would suggest using adjustable Painter's Poles attached firmly to the Bed Posts, and a manual Retractable that can be hung from each pole. The FiberGlas poles are certainly sturdy enough and can be painted to mach your Bed....as can the casing of the Retractable. it would only take one person to manually lift the Screen, while a Significant Other simply twists the ring on each pole to secure the chosen height.

Quote:
Something like this would be simple to buy. However I want ease of setup every night.. And possibility of powering.. Which is why I am looking at DIY as I do not want to spend thousands to make it work.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-.../dp/B000PHLC7I
Well gosh...the solution above certainly isn't in the $1000s range, and a single powered Pole lift at the Center Rear would do the job nicely.

.....and at worst you'd have to walk around and lift it into place or Lower it back down.

I think the money saved by using the above, and considering the neatly self contained appearance, would dictate that it be a good starting point for your engineering project, and a great fall back solution should the engineering issues prove insurmountable.

Yeah, Pneumatic or Worm Gear devices would be cool, and certainly within the realm of possibility, but the engineering issues as well as cost, and problematical at best dependability and accuracy of travel makes them seem to me to be a bit impractical.

Unless your simply into the whole idea of pushing a button or flipping a switch and watching the screen rise majestically at you feet .

Sort of a "Dive in Movie".

BTW, this Forum is exactly the right place to be.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Please excuse "Scapes". Sometimes in the rush to respond and make sense of requests, we all can focus on our own solution and overlook obvious stated intentions.

I would suggest using adjustable Painter's Poles attached firmly to the Bed Posts, and a manual Retractable that can be hung from each pole. The FiberGlas poles are certainly sturdy enough and can be painted to mach your Bed....as can the casing of the Retractable. it would only take one person to manually lift the Screen, while a Significant Other simply twists the ring on each pole to secure the chosen height.

Well gosh...the solution above certainly isn't in the $1000s range, and a single powered Pole lift at the Center Rear would do the job nicely.

.....and at worst you'd have to walk around and lift it into place or Lower it back down.

I think the money saved by using the above, and considering the neatly self contained appearance, would dictate that it be a good starting point for your engineering project, and a great fall back solution should the engineering issues prove insurmountable.

Yeah, Pneumatic or Worm Gear devices would be cool, and certainly within the realm of possibility, but the engineering issues as well as cost, and problematical at best dependability and accuracy of travel makes them seem to me to be a bit impractical.

Unless your simply into the whole idea of pushing a button or flipping a switch and watching the screen rise majestically at you feet .

Sort of a "Dive in Movie".

BTW, this Forum is exactly the right place to be.
Thank You MississippiMan, I've got a couple ideas to work with and I think I might try the electronic scissor lift method using a dc motor and threaded rod just to see if I can. Then like you said if anything goes amiss I can always fall back on the sure thing already built and pull it up myself until I can figure out a powered pole option.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any updates on this build? I really like the rising type screen and it is about the only method for me to get a screen in my family room due to WAF. If I wall mounted the TV and put a long and low entertainment cabinet underneath that concealed a rising screen that deployed in front of the tv... On second thought WAF be damned. I could do this and just not tell her about it I think it's a great idea for a bedroom too.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
... I had come up with a fairly decent solution of using one of those retracting pull down window darkening blinds from Lowes that is about 60" wide however I need a way to stabilize the back and sides to stay up.
I think using something like this will give you good results and it's easy on the wallet.

http://www.amazon.com/Screens-T85UWS.../dp/B000B7NCRU

This would make a good donor for a DIY scissor lift screen. The 1:1 aspect will allow you to get the top of the viewing area higher and you can paint a mask onto the lower part of the screen to end up with a 16:9 viewing area. While you're at it you could convert it to tab-tensioned and spray on SF v2.5 a-la rengep .

Electric screen to Tab Tension conversion - with Silver Fire v2.5

I think if you try to use a roll up blind to do this you are committing yourself to coming up with a tensioning system. If you use a purpose built screen to begin with it becomes optional.

Elite's ezCinema Plus series of manual pull-up screens use a scissor mechanism. You simply pull the screen up out of the case to whatever height you want and it stays there, no two piece pole with a locking mechanism like a tripod. Pretty slick. I would like to take a close look at one of these and see how they work. It seems like a prime candidate for an electric conversion, yielding something that would function like a product that costs many times its price. I would start with something like this for the WAF 100" family room screen I mentioned earlier. Now I just need to find a 95" wide entertainment console...

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...e-ezcinemaplus
post #11 of 13 Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodishProdigy View Post
Any updates on this build? I really like the rising type screen and it is about the only method for me to get a screen in my family room due to WAF. If I wall mounted the TV and put a long and low entertainment cabinet underneath that concealed a rising screen that deployed in front of the tv... On second thought WAF be damned. I could do this and just not tell her about it I think it's a great idea for a bedroom too.
The advantage that fixed frames have over retractable is that they don't get waves, wrinkles, or curled edges.

Tab tension screens are an expensive and not really a DIY solution if you want the smallest profile for the stored screen. Nothing beats rolling a fabric for small-profile.

But ... what if you didn't need the absolutely smallest profile ?

Imagine an accordion folding screen consisting of 8 fixed frames, each 12" high and 12 feet wide made from 1x2 wood with vertical supports. They would be piano hinged to each other. Then stretch white spandex like this over the entire 8 foot x 12 foot assemblage. http://www.spandexhouse.com/products...id%20Colors%29

Note that it would only take $36 of white spandex.

The spandex would be stretched when stapled to the sides of each frame, but not too close to where it meets the next frame. It would be pulled tight and stapled to the top edge of the top frame and to the bottom edge of the bottom frame, but none of the other frames. When collapsed those little sections of spandex adjacent to the hinges would have to stretch a bit more. When expanded, the spandex shouldn't show any wrinkles or creases because it is stretched tight vertically and stretched spandex doesn't wrinkle. As a bonus, spandex is acoustically transparent so your speakers behind the screen are fine.

Support by hooks on the upper corners and the weight of the screen would hold it straight. The entire assemblage would be about 8 inches tall and 12 inches deep and 12 feet wide when sitting on the floor in front of your entertainment center.

What do you think ? Would the stretchiness of spandex and the fixed frames result in a wrinkle, curl, wave, and crease free screen after years of opening and closing ?

For raising and lowering, think about a nut riding on a threaded rod turned by a motor. Attached to the nut, an 9' diagonal cross piece that attaches to the upper frame via a pivot 4 feet from the side. When in the lowered position, the bottom end of the cross piece attached to the nut would be almost all the way to the end of the threaded rod, but when fully up, the nut would have been pulled 4 feet toward the center.

I think this method of raising and lowering a screen would work for a rolled fabric screen as well, but having the accordion frames holding everything square would be certain. With a rolled screen, what would keep the top level ? Maybe second diagonal running from the other side ? That scissor device shown above would definitely work for the accordion screen.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #12 of 13 Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=dreamer;27449930]
Imagine an accordion folding screen consisting of 8 fixed frames, each 12" high and 12 feet wide made from 1x2 wood with vertical supports. They would be piano hinged to each other. Then stretch white spandex like this over the entire 8 foot x 12 foot assemblage. http://www.spandexhouse.com/products...id%20Colors%29

Note that it would only take $36 of white spandex.

The spandex would be stretched when stapled to the sides of each frame, but not too close to where it meets the next frame. It would be pulled tight and stapled to the top edge of the top frame and to the bottom edge of the bottom frame, but none of the other frames. When collapsed those little sections of spandex adjacent to the hinges would have to stretch a bit more. When expanded, the spandex shouldn't show any wrinkles or creases because it is stretched tight vertically and stretched spandex doesn't wrinkle. As a bonus, spandex is acoustically transparent so your speakers behind the screen are fine.

Support by hooks on the upper corners and the weight of the screen would hold it straight. The entire assemblage would be about 8 inches tall and 12 inches deep and 12 feet wide when sitting on the floor in front of your entertainment center./QUOTE]

I like your idea, for a portable manual screen. I think trying to mechanize this would make it overly complicated. As it is it the design would require precision carpentry and some ingenious design to end up with the screen stretched evenly and not resting on any supports under the viewing area. It would need more than one layer of spandex. Maybe a thicker more opaque base layer spandex to allow more leeway with the frame design. I have given thought to something similar but was thinking more on a spandex over folding frame design with just a single fold in the middle. Not really portable but giving just enough of a size change to move a large screen in and out of a room. Issues with having a flat frame with no support members touching the back of the screen surface made simpler with a single fold and the entire frame surface made flat by using card table hinges in the center.

I like your idea sans motor because if it can be pulled off you end up with a much more portable screen than a bifold design.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-16-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 114
[quote/]

I like your idea, for a portable manual screen. I think trying to mechanize this would make it overly complicated. As it is it the design would require precision carpentry and some ingenious design to end up with the screen stretched evenly and not resting on any supports under the viewing area. It would need more than one layer of spandex. Maybe a thicker more opaque base layer spandex to allow more leeway with the frame design. I have given thought to something similar but was thinking more on a spandex over folding frame design with just a single fold in the middle. Not really portable but giving just enough of a size change to move a large screen in and out of a room. Issues with having a flat frame with no support members touching the back of the screen surface made simpler with a single fold and the entire frame surface made flat by using card table hinges in the center.

I like your idea sans motor because if it can be pulled off you end up with a much more portable screen than a bifold design.[/quote]

Yes, motorizing a lift would be tough. What would hold it plumb front to back ? Gravity hanging from hooks does that, but motorized ? I included it because the OP wanted a lifting screen for his bedroom.

Yes, the spandex needs something behind it, with a gap to prevent any details of the backing material from showing through the spandex. With a small gap, white velvet, felt, or even blackout cloth could be firmly attached to each panel and hopefully the seems wouldn't show through the single piece spandex front face. That is easy to do by having the outside vertical edges of each panel beveled so the back fabric is glued to the surface following the bevel inwards while the spandex would attach to the outside of the vertical. Instead of using only 1x2 for the panel frames, we could add door casing molding on the outside verticals. The hinges get more difficult, though. Piano hinges wouldn't work. Maybe that's where your "card table" hinges come in ? I can't picture what you mean by that.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page