DIY Floor Raising Screen for End of Bed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb DIY Floor Raising Screen for End of Bed

Hi all, I believe this might be my first official post in a very long time. I have lurked in the dedicated forums for ages but never have posted much. I am coming with a request that hopefully the great DIY brains here can come up with a solution.

Basically what I am looking for is a hiding projector screen for the end of my King sized bed. Wife wants it not visible unless in use. Now I had come up with a fairly decent solution of using one of those retracting pull down window darkening blinds from Lowes that is about 60" wide however I need a way to stabilize the back and sides to stay up. If this can be powered even better!

I have read about people using window wiper motors for DIY tv lifts and Scissor jacks to make things work. Is there a way to create something like this with either of those? I will be throwing a nice pico projector at it from the head of our bed. The better it looks and functions the better I will be able to get it past the wife haha. This solution is better than trying to raise a tv from some dresser or box at the end of the bed. And less involved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaInstalle View Post
This solution is better than trying to raise a tv from some dresser or box at the end of the bed. And less involved!
I don't understand.. they sell the furniture for this, all you do is buy it, attach the tv and hit the remote button and up comes the 60" TV.. Nothing to do but lay back and watch..

Problems I see with a pico projector is that there will be an offset.. and the image will most likely be to high to hit the screen if the projector on the head board.. would need to be mounted upside down, if they can at the screen top..
Also audio.. where is that coming from?

Anything can be done with enough money.. if you are trying to do this on a shoe string.. I would suggest a tripod screen that you put in the closet when not in use.. Fast, inexpensive, flexible (can be used anywhere including on vacations) and requires no DIY..
Dalite PictureKing portables are very well made and will last many decades of up and down every night.. I used to do this in my living room for several years before updating my living room with a pull down.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Please read back. I am not wanting to spend thousands of dollars for a tv lift nor do I want a TV lift box at the end of my bed. The Pico can be angled downward to fix the offset if need or upsidedown either way.

Audio will come from the projector itself or from computer powered speakers. This is going to be replacing a laptop that we currently use with our XBMC setup. I am not going high end audiophile here. I have a dedicated theater space for this. I want a solution for my bedroom for tv and movies at night and not have a tv in the bedroom.

The Tripod might work if I can conceal it pretty well. I might look into one that I will remove the legs and figure a way to mount to the internal bed frame. And see about possibly powering it.

Last edited by VirginiaInstalle; 07-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Something like this would be simple to buy. However I want ease of setup every night.. And possibility of powering.. Which is why I am looking at DIY as I do not want to spend thousands to make it work.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-.../dp/B000PHLC7I
post #5 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

As a reply to myself haha. I think I might have come across a possibility to DIY. Using a type of worm gear/step motor like below. Picture was not resized so I just linked to it

http://i46.tinypic.com/11ugciw.jpg

Last edited by VirginiaInstalle; 07-22-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mods can this be moved to the DIY screen subcategory? Sorry I did not pay attention when posting.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Please read back. I am not wanting to spend thousands of dollars for a tv lift nor do I want a TV lift box at the end of my bed.
The Tripod might work if I can conceal it pretty well. I might look into one that I will remove the legs and figure a way to mount to the internal bed frame. And see about possibly powering it.
Please excuse "Scapes". Sometimes in the rush to respond and make sense of requests, we all can focus on our own solution and overlook obvious stated intentions.

I would suggest using adjustable Painter's Poles attached firmly to the Bed Posts, and a manual Retractable that can be hung from each pole. The FiberGlas poles are certainly sturdy enough and can be painted to mach your Bed....as can the casing of the Retractable. it would only take one person to manually lift the Screen, while a Significant Other simply twists the ring on each pole to secure the chosen height.

Quote:
Something like this would be simple to buy. However I want ease of setup every night.. And possibility of powering.. Which is why I am looking at DIY as I do not want to spend thousands to make it work.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-.../dp/B000PHLC7I
Well gosh...the solution above certainly isn't in the $1000s range, and a single powered Pole lift at the Center Rear would do the job nicely.

.....and at worst you'd have to walk around and lift it into place or Lower it back down.

I think the money saved by using the above, and considering the neatly self contained appearance, would dictate that it be a good starting point for your engineering project, and a great fall back solution should the engineering issues prove insurmountable.

Yeah, Pneumatic or Worm Gear devices would be cool, and certainly within the realm of possibility, but the engineering issues as well as cost, and problematical at best dependability and accuracy of travel makes them seem to me to be a bit impractical.

Unless your simply into the whole idea of pushing a button or flipping a switch and watching the screen rise majestically at you feet .

Sort of a "Dive in Movie".

BTW, this Forum is exactly the right place to be.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Please excuse "Scapes". Sometimes in the rush to respond and make sense of requests, we all can focus on our own solution and overlook obvious stated intentions.

I would suggest using adjustable Painter's Poles attached firmly to the Bed Posts, and a manual Retractable that can be hung from each pole. The FiberGlas poles are certainly sturdy enough and can be painted to mach your Bed....as can the casing of the Retractable. it would only take one person to manually lift the Screen, while a Significant Other simply twists the ring on each pole to secure the chosen height.

Well gosh...the solution above certainly isn't in the $1000s range, and a single powered Pole lift at the Center Rear would do the job nicely.

.....and at worst you'd have to walk around and lift it into place or Lower it back down.

I think the money saved by using the above, and considering the neatly self contained appearance, would dictate that it be a good starting point for your engineering project, and a great fall back solution should the engineering issues prove insurmountable.

Yeah, Pneumatic or Worm Gear devices would be cool, and certainly within the realm of possibility, but the engineering issues as well as cost, and problematical at best dependability and accuracy of travel makes them seem to me to be a bit impractical.

Unless your simply into the whole idea of pushing a button or flipping a switch and watching the screen rise majestically at you feet .

Sort of a "Dive in Movie".

BTW, this Forum is exactly the right place to be.
Thank You MississippiMan, I've got a couple ideas to work with and I think I might try the electronic scissor lift method using a dc motor and threaded rod just to see if I can. Then like you said if anything goes amiss I can always fall back on the sure thing already built and pull it up myself until I can figure out a powered pole option.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page