Screen type for LED Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Screen type for LED Projector

I recently got a Vivitek Q5 LED projector from work which is no where near a great projector but good for basic stuff.I am going to use it basically to watch movies and play few games but i plan to upgrade to LG pf85u LED projector which is 1080p.
What kind of material should i use for projector screen as both of these dont have high Lumen output compared to lamp based projector. I am planning to project about 100-110" image in a dark room with no light inputs cause no windows are present.
Are there any cheaper options of screens to buy directly, compared to building your own.
I cannot project it on the wall as i the color is slightly yellow and has texture on it,so painting it is out of question too.
Any help will be appreciated.
Being my first post and my first projector,i dont know much about all the material and stuff,but i have been reading on these forums for a few weeks now.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 05:40 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Based on calculations, the difference in lumen output may be 500 vs 1000 but at 110" diagonal the Q5 get 13 fls on a 1.0 gain screen while the LG pf85u only gets 14 fls.

Not a big difference there, but the real difference between them(...besides 1200x800 vs 1920 x 1080) is the big jump in Contrast the LG pf85u affords ( 100,000:1 vs 10,000:1 )

The type screen you need should have at least 1.2 gain. That is easily done with DIY, but absolutely some amount of effort is involved, and quite frankly you seem to not be overly enthusiastic about what might be needed. Nothing wrong with that though....DIY is not for everyone.

So here is a 1.1 gain 112" diagonal Fixed Screen you can buy off Amazon for $239.98
http://www.amazon.com/STR-169112-Sil...JVPF7KBZKDQ96C

That is really inexpensive as far as a Fixed Screen goes, and most all reviews have been favorable. It's a Prime product so it's easily returnable.

Look as you may, the suggestion above is probably your only decent choice if you want to spend comparably to a similar sized, non-wall variety DIY Screen. While it may be just a bit more, the work ethic involved is virtually nil.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick response.if you coukd suggest me what kind of material(cloth type and stuff) i would need to build the screen i am willing to put in the effort,it might turn out to be sweeter then getting pre-built screen.
Going through the forums,some people mention getting spandex,linen or different kind of cloth or paper to build it.what is your suggestion to make a screen for that kind of projector?
Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

If you were to make a screen, I would suggest using this material.

http://www.carlofet.com/projector-sc...-material.html

It's very popular, easy to work with, and for a 110" 16:9 screen (54" x 96") the piece you would receive...shipped in a Roll, would cost $65.95 (select the 2.39:1 53" x 126" size) The stuff will stretch out easily to accommodate the 54" height, so don't worry.

Forget Spandex, run away screaming from Paper, lose the idea of using Linen. The Flexi-White is your material of choice.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
If you were to make a screen, I would suggest using this material.

http://www.carlofet.com/projector-sc...-material.html

It's very popular, easy to work with, and for a 110" 16:9 screen (54" x 96") the piece you would receive...shipped in a Roll, would cost $65.95 (select the 2.39:1 53" x 126" size) The stuff will stretch out easily to accommodate the 54" height, so don't worry.

Forget Spandex, run away screaming from Paper, lose the idea of using Linen. The Flexi-White is your material of choice.
Thanks alot.already placed it on order.will see when it comes by.currently checking youtube on how to stretch the screen as you mentioned.unless you have some good links.
Appreciate your help.
What is your view on those 2.9 silverscreen paint and stuff that is applied to these.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzuri09 View Post
Thanks alot.already placed it on order.will see when it comes by.currently checking youtube on how to stretch the screen as you mentioned.unless you have some good links.
Appreciate your help.
What is your view on those 2.9 silverscreen paint and stuff that is applied to these.
Virtually all such Ultra High Gain paints have a considerable amount of graininess (reflective speckles). And all such paints require spraying, using a fine misting approach via a HVLP Airless Gun. And such paints are very detrimental to use with LED / Laser PJs because those units tend to accentuate any video noise themselves, and such noise projected onto a screen with any degree of graininess becomes well nigh intolerable.

The paint you mentioned also is very expensive, as well as quite toxic if it is the Oil Based variety.

We on here can offer you better choices that are far more user friendly. In your case, RS-MaxxMudd LL spray applied onto the Thrifty-White would be the best choice. RS-MM-LL not only has gain, but it also boosts Black Levels and detail.

But absolutely you should construct your screen and test it out first. You must do that anyway before you can consider any painting out of hand.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Virtually all such Ultra High Gain paints have a considerable amount of graininess (reflective speckles). And all such paints require spraying, using a fine misting approach via a HVLP Airless Gun. And such paints are very detrimental to use with LED / Laser PJs because those units tend to accentuate any video noise themselves, and such noise projected onto a screen with any degree of graininess becomes well nigh intolerable.

The paint you mentioned also is very expensive, as well as quite toxic if it is the Oil Based variety.

We on here can offer you better choices that are far more user friendly. In your case, RS-MaxxMudd LL spray applied onto the Thrifty-White would be the best choice. RS-MM-LL not only has gain, but it also boosts Black Levels and detail.

But absolutely you should construct your screen and test it out first. You must do that anyway before you can consider any painting out of hand.
So i just got my screen paper/material shipped in a roll,so i dont think i will have the stretching issue which u mentioned.what would be easier.fixed or rolling screen.although i would prefer rolling.do you think there as any downside to quality in rolling screen to material
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzuri09 View Post
So i just got my screen paper/material shipped in a roll,so i dont think i will have the stretching issue which u mentioned.what would be easier.fixed or rolling screen.although i would prefer rolling.do you think there as any downside to quality in rolling screen to material
So what did you actually order" Paper? Screen material? From whom?

And your last statement....a bit confusing. You seem to be asking as to if there is a difference in difficulty between rolling or spraying, and and difference in performance between the two.

But who knows.................please re-phrase.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So what did you actually order" Paper? Screen material? From whom?

And your last statement....a bit confusing. You seem to be asking as to if there is a difference in difficulty between rolling or spraying, and and difference in performance between the two.

But who knows.................please re-phrase.
Lol my bad.i ordered the paper(flexiwhite) u mentioned couple of posts ago from carls place.as of right now i have pinned it to wall which doesnt look great.
As for my last part i wanted to ask if it would be easy to make a fixed screen or manual retractable.
If you could guide me to any specific thread that would be helpful.
Thanks again
Old 08-09-2014, 06:44 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Infinitely easier to make a Fixed Screen, and garner best possible results doing so.

There are a myriad of threads outlining several different kinds of Frame choices....Trimmed and Zero Edge....Virgin Flexi-White and painted.

While your preference may be to roll, spraying is both easier and more affordable. Many think rolling is simply loading a Roller and swiping it across a wall or screen material. While you might get by with that thinking paint out the Guest Room, it is far less likely that great results will come from rolling a surface that should by all rights be perfection personified.

Of course one can take the easiest route, and using a light Flat Gray paint have a better chance at it (rolling). But even with a simple, basic paint, a far better surface can be obtained via spraying with the right technique and equipment.

So I ask you....just how far down the Golden Path to Projection Nirvana do you want to traipse?
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Infinitely easier to make a Fixed Screen, and garner best possible results doing so.

There are a myriad of threads outlining several different kinds of Frame choices....Trimmed and Zero Edge....Virgin Flexi-White and painted.

While your preference may be to roll, spraying is both easier and more affordable. Many think rolling is simply loading a Roller and swiping it across a wall or screen material. While you might get by with that thinking paint out the Guest Room, it is far less likely that great results will come from rolling a surface that should by all rights be perfection personified.

Of course one can take the easiest route, and using a light Flat Gray paint have a better chance at it (rolling). But even with a simple, basic paint, a far better surface can be obtained via spraying with the right technique and equipment.

So I ask you....just how far down the Golden Path to Projection Nirvana do you want to traipse?
I guess you are right.i will make a fixed screen then. I am a little confused though when you mention painting..cant i just project it on the paper or do i have to paint it?i thought by getting this flexiwhite material,no paint was needed on it.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

No paint is required if you can accept and get by nicely with a white surface.

Many PJs need some help producing truly deep black levels, and all the more so if there is any real degree of ambient light in a room, or reflected projected light off nearby adjoining surfaces. That is why Gray surfaces are used...and many of today's PJs are bright enough to avail themselves of such lower gain gray surfaces without the brightness of Whites taking a undue hit.

To that effect, go ahead and make your screen, but do not attach any Trim to it until you have tested it's performance under varying viewing conditions. If it is acceptable....then your done. If you find the image washed out in low room lighting, or the Blacks appear to be more like "gray"...then you can consider coating the material.

With the PJ you have now, your blacks will be just passable....but later on, the upgrade to the LG will be quite an improvement. Just know going forward that there will be a difference and you will not feel surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement