Fixed screen hung from ceiling, fold up to store - advice wanted - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fixed screen hung from ceiling, fold up to store - advice wanted

PJ - Optoma HD131xe
room - 20' long, 10' high
screen - 16x9 100-110" diag, ~16" from ceiling
environment - shuttered windows back and left wall, light colored walls/ceiling, 1 couch, bookshelves/furniture

I want to hang a screen from the ceiling in front of the TV/AV unit. I'm wary of rolled screens because of waves, so I'm considering a fixed screen. I can DIY one, but for the price differential (~$100-150) a low end retail screen (Elite/Monoprice) would be worth the time savings. I plan to hinge the mount point so it can swing up and lay flat against the ceiling when not in use.

I thought of hanging it using eyelets and a chain. Then I saw this:
Hanging screen via hinge
It would be easy to make out of wood, using a bolt for the hinge point. Secure the lower edge with an eyelet or something more sophisticated.

Some people say that retail frames are not rigid enough to be hung from 2 top points, that they need to be mounted on a wall. Is this a concern?
Most frames use a non-rigid tab-mount for the wall. How would one attach the hinge arm to the retail frame? One option is to run 1x3's or 1x4's along the height of the screen, anchored to the top and bottom rails. This would provide further rigidity to the frame and isolate the suspension hardware from the frame.

Another issue is screen material. I don't need AT. There will be minimal external ambient light, but suboptimal reflected ambient light. With the 131's light output a [sub]neutral gain grey screen would be best, but is not stocked well at most stores. A DIY Carl's is feasible, but only $100 shy of an Elite screen. I could always experiment with blackout cloth for now (cheap), and upgrade later. I'm good with wood, but don't trust my painting skills to do a painted hardyboard screen. In any case, time is a premium with the job & kids.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 418
You could use a Mfg Fixed Screen, and then reinforce the corners...which are the weakest points that you do not want to "spring". Another advantage of reinforcing the Corners is that whatever you use (1/4" Painted Plywood Triangles ? ) will serve to also support the chosen Hinge Hardware.

Hanging via a "Hook & Eye" system would be easy enough....but you have to center the "Eye" screw on the top of the frame to avoid any pitching forward or back.

If you have a safe place to store the screen when not in use, that is the method of choice IMO.

Not sure where you saw a Elite Fixed Screen for just $100.00 more than a DIY version, but for certain any Mfg Fixed Screen will be somewhat lighter in weight than DIY.

Look into the Silver Ticket screens in the size you want.....
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Ticket-HDTV-16-Projector/dp/B00CYLK1BQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S2BA5170A9R7M21 4PXM

The one I linked to is just a wee bit more than $200.00, and I'd bet the Dog you can't begin to touch an Elite at that price.....or at 2x actually.

Lastly, consider running your PJ on Low lamp mode instead of using a Gray surface to attenuate light deepen blacks. That way you can use a Matte White surface and have far more choices.. Silver Ticket makes a 120" diagonal in a Gray....and I wrote to them for you to see what other sizes a Gray "might be" available in.

Hey....ya might get lucky and have an affordable choice either direction.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com