1Likes
  • 1 Post By Debonaire

post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Screen Placement Woes, WAF!

So I've been lurking around a bit, getting close to buying my first projector.. W1070. Been thinking about how I'm going to set it all up in the lounge but fotgot one critical step, the wife

I was going to mount the screen on the right of this photo, a bare wall and obvious choice:

But the boss wants to keep the tv where it is which makes speaker placement an issue. I'm in a rental too so can't go nuts on renoxating, although the landlords are fairly flexible. So, really only option is over either window, I may as well go in front of the tv.. not ideal but all I got.

I budgeted for $200 for a diy fixed frame, could acheive that easily. The other obvious choice is a retractable screen but in my budget range it'd be an ebay special. The wife wants it either invisible or gone when not in use. So my two options are a cheap retractable screen or a lightweight fixed frame that could be easily put up and taken down.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What screen size do you want? An Elite screen electric non-tensioned can be had cheap, then paint later. Untensioned might not last but only long enough to find a more home theater rational wife.
farr3ll likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
What screen size do you want? An Elite screen electric non-tensioned can be had cheap, then paint later. Untensioned might not last but only long enough to find a more home theater rational wife.
Yeah lol, need to shop around.

I was originally looking at 120" but if I sit it on the coffee table (about 2 metres from screen) I'll get about 100" or if I go the wall behind (about 4.8 metres) it'll be more like 150" as per Projector Centrals calculations. I'm concerned that the bigger screen might not be bright enough and cumbersome given the put up/take down debacle and 100" too small for the impact I want, damn woman :P. I had originally planned to turn around the entertainment unit alongside our new lounge to get the projector closer to the other wall which would help me achieve 120"'s.

Oh boy, doing my head in!
post #4 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farr3ll View Post
Yeah lol, need to shop around.

I was originally looking at 120" but if I sit it on the coffee table (about 2 metres from screen) I'll get about 100" or if I go the wall behind (about 4.8 metres) it'll be more like 150" as per Projector Centrals calculations. I'm concerned that the bigger screen might not be bright enough and cumbersome given the put up/take down debacle and 100" too small for the impact I want, damn woman :P. I had originally planned to turn around the entertainment unit alongside our new lounge to get the projector closer to the other wall which would help me achieve 120"'s.

Oh boy, doing my head in!
This one should be near your budget. Unless you have a dedicated room, I wouldn't go bigger than 100".

With the color of your room I suggest Behr Silverscreen. Have Homedepot mix it. Those exotic mixes like Rsmaxx or silver fire won't. give you that much differenc for their effort and expense.

per ender611

Behr Premium Plus Interior Flat
Silver Screen ( 770E-2 )
Ultra Pure White ( 1050 )

One quart measurements:
Colorant................OZ.....48.....96
-----------------------------------------
B......Lamp Black....0........5........0
L......Raw Umber....0........5........0
R......Exterior RE.....0........0........1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Last edited by Debonaire; 08-03-2014 at 11:00 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This one should be near your budget. Unless you have a dedicated room, I wouldn't go bigger than 100".

With the color of your room I suggest Behr Silverscreen. Have Homedepot mix it. Those exotic mixes like Rsmaxx or silver fire won't. give you that much differenc for their effort and expense.

per ender611

Behr Premium Plus Interior Flat
Silver Screen ( 770E-2 )
Ultra Pure White ( 1050 )

One quart measurements:
Colorant................OZ.....48.....96
-----------------------------------------
B......Lamp Black....0........5........0
L......Raw Umber....0........5........0
R......Exterior RE.....0........0........1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links
Thanks mate. I live in Australia so no Home Depot, not sure what the equivalent would be here, if there is one.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farr3ll View Post
Thanks mate. I live in Australia so no Home Depot, not sure what the equivalent would be here, if there is one.
In Australia there's Dulux Misty Evening a lot of people like.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
In Australia there's Dulux Misty Evening a lot of people like.
Misty Evening can make whites have a decided blueish-green cast under projected light, but standing alone does look nicely gray. In exception, the very thing in Misty Evening that creates the Blue-Green cast ("Thallo Green") also gives the surface a higher gain that most similar hued Grays, and these days effective calibration can correct for much, if not all the color shift.

BTW....Glidden and Dulux are joined at the hip, and Misty Evening was originally known as part of the Glidden Color Pallet.
The much venerated CMRA authored a long running Thread on Misty evening. It makes a good read, and clearly shows both the advantages and caveats of the choice.
A better grey screen

Screen shots start about post 145 or so.

To duplicate Silver Screen simply use Dulux Ultimate White Matte as the Base and let the Color Tech use the provided Tint Values to mix. SS is more neutral that Misty Evening.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #8 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Misty Evening can make whites have a decided blueish-green cast under projected light, but standing alone does look nicely gray. In exception, the very thing in Misty Evening that creates the Blue-Green cast ("Thallo Green") also gives the surface a higher gain that most similar hued Grays, and these days effective calibration can correct for much, if not all the color shift.

BTW....Glidden and Dulux are joined at the hip, and Misty Evening was originally known as part of the Glidden Color Pallet.
The much venerated CMRA authored a long running Thread on Misty evening. It makes a good read, and clearly shows both the advantages and caveats of the choice.
A better grey screen

Screen shots start about post 145 or so.

To duplicate Silver Screen simply use Dulux Ultimate White Matte as the Base and let the Color Tech use the provided Tint Values to mix. SS is more neutral that Misty Evening.

Why do you all recommend Killz 2? Wouldn't Glidden Professional Gripper White Primer/Sealer be better?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Why do you all recommend Killz 2? Wouldn't Glidden Professional Gripper White Primer/Sealer be better?
The primary reason is because Kilz 2 is universally available where as the Glidden Gripper is not. However, when a surface that is particularly hard to get paint to apply to needs to be used as a screen substrate, then the Glidden always gets a nod from me.

But I do not hesitate to recommend other primers such as Bullseye 123 because in the case of the latter, it is a primer that comes already thin enough to spray.

Whatever will work best or that can be obtained is the ticket.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #10 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The primary reason is because Kilz 2 is universally available where as the Glidden Gripper is not. However, when a surface that is particularly hard to get paint to apply to needs to be used as a screen substrate, then the Glidden always gets a nod from me.

But I do not hesitate to recommend other primers such as Bullseye 123 because in the case of the latter, it is a primer that comes already thin enough to spray.

Whatever will work best or that can be obtained is the ticket.
Gotcha. I thought maybe it was the reflective properties. I consider Killz 2 garbage. It has a tendency to peel. Where I've never had Gripper peel. The extra $6 a gallon for Gripper is worth peace of mind.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page