Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Debonaire

post #1 of 29 Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Creative Minds Wanted! Screen trouble...

I need some creative solutions! I am house sitting for a few years while the homeowners are out of the country. This means I do not have the freedom to remodel at all. I was given a projector this past Christmas and really didn't know anything about that world of home theater until then. I ordered some material online and made the screen you see here:

There is a pocket sewn onto the top and bottom of the material and a 10ft wooden curtain rod was inserted to provide support from the top, and weight/tension on the bottom. Unfortunately this means that there is no side tension and the edges turn in slightly.

I can't have a fixed screen because the entertainment center is built in (and this is a temporary residence for me). You can see here how I've got the screen hanging currently.

That is just a drawer slider from the hardware store screwed onto some 2x4's and a hinge. This allows me to roll up the screen to store on top of the entertainment center. The drawer sliders stow completely out of sight behind the trim of the entertainment center. A hook screwed into the wooden curtain rod slips into the eyelet attached to the end of the slider.

It only takes about 45 seconds and a step-stool to take down or put up the screen.

I'd love some help figuring out how to make sure my screen stays smooth when its down and as a bonus, I'd like to try and rig up a removable masking system. The picture being projected has about 3 unused inches on all sides so I am OK with putting something along the edges. it just can't weigh too much because the drawer sliders aren't built to hold a ton of weight way out on the front (if that makes sense).

Please Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I might be dumb and not understanding, but why not sew pockets on the sides to tension? I was reading in another thread which did just that with descent results.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
OK, here's your problem solved - in theory. This should work, but you'll have to try it too see. This is the PERFECT time to try this. With all the back to school sales going on right now, this shouldn't cost more than 5-10 bucks total, maybe even less than that. Here's what you do - you know those clear plastic report covers, the ones that are just a piece of clear plastic folded in half. They have this plastic spine clip thing that goes on the left side of the cover. It goes all the way from the top to the bottom, so it's 11 inches long. Buy a butt load of those report covers. Hopefully you can find enough with black spine clips. If not, you can always paint them. Anyway, next you pick up a few sheets of very thick 'OAK TAG' paperboard. It's like a buck a sheet, ya know, it's like that thick construction paper stuff kids make school posters on. Cut it into 3inch strips. duct tape the strips together on the back until you have 1 - 3inch strip that goes from the top of your screen to the bottom and clip it on the sides of your screen with the report spine clips - should work perfectly - in theory. Be sure to let us know what happened if you try it! Good luck!
post #4 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
I might be dumb and not understanding, but why not sew pockets on the sides to tension? I was reading in another thread which did just that with descent results.
Thanks for the suggestion! I don't believe this would this provide the sideways tension needed, but I could definitely be wrong. And if I did go this route, I would need to find a way to fix the side supports in the pocket when in use and still be able to remove them to stow the screen. I'll keep it in mind...
post #5 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domz777 View Post
OK, here's your problem solved - in theory. This should work, but you'll have to try it too see. This is the PERFECT time to try this. With all the back to school sales going on right now, this shouldn't cost more than 5-10 bucks total, maybe even less than that. Here's what you do - you know those clear plastic report covers, the ones that are just a piece of clear plastic folded in half. They have this plastic spine clip thing that goes on the left side of the cover. It goes all the way from the top to the bottom, so it's 11 inches long. Buy a butt load of those report covers. Hopefully you can find enough with black spine clips. If not, you can always paint them. Anyway, next you pick up a few sheets of very thick 'OAK TAG' paperboard. It's like a buck a sheet, ya know, it's like that thick construction paper stuff kids make school posters on. Cut it into 3inch strips. duct tape the strips together on the back until you have 1 - 3inch strip that goes from the top of your screen to the bottom and clip it on the sides of your screen with the report spine clips - should work perfectly - in theory. Be sure to let us know what happened if you try it! Good luck!
This would potentially work on the sides but the top and bottom don't have an edge that the spine clip could go over.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1217 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I don't believe this would this provide the sideways tension needed, but I could definitely be wrong. And if I did go this route, I would need to find a way to fix the side supports in the pocket when in use and still be able to remove them to stow the screen. I'll keep it in mind...
I read it here. It worked for this guy's 72" tall screen.

DIY tab tensioners
gman1217 likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
This would potentially work on the sides but the top and bottom don't have an edge that the spine clip could go over.
I thought you were just looking to get rid of the curl on the sides and then add a 3" black boarder to the sides.

If you also want to add boarders to the top and bottom - again, easy - 3"wide black duct tape.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
The only solution I can think of that might work to solve both your issues is using 3.25" Mdf base wrapped in Velvet, or simply painted a Satin Black. (yuck)

Using some lightweight Velcro Buttons that would align correctly, you could hang the Trim on each side. It would not take too many because the Mdf is really very lightweight. You might want to sew or glue the velcro to the fabric and the Trim, and make any such attachments as far to the outside as possible.

A potential issue is your Top / Bottom bars because they look to be at issue with temporarily attaching each end of the trim.

Instead, a Clamp-Like attachment using very small screws at each end might work well, sturdily affixing each end of the trim, keeping it from pitching inward while the Velcro holds the Fabric taunt.

Anytime one tries to use a system like yours, and keep it easily movable, some amount of distortion (turn in) on unsupported side edges will happen. Shucks, those who have non tensioned Mfg Retractable Screens face that issue as well.

I think my suggestion might work well enough to reduce that "turn in" if not actually eliminate it completely. However it will center around your being able to look at a judge exactly how best to tie in each end of the Side Trim to the Top / Bottom to maintain a rigid drop.

This might not assemble / disassemble in 45 seconds....but certainly no more than 4-5 minutes.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #9 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domz777 View Post
I thought you were just looking to get rid of the curl on the sides and then add a 3" black boarder to the sides.

If you also want to add boarders to the top and bottom - again, easy - 3"wide black duct tape.
That's just ghetto. I'm cheap but not that cheap. If price is an issue, the lowest I'd go is gaffer's tape . If price is no option, this Protstar tape. But $38 is a bit much.

There needs to be a tribal counsel for those sorts of suggestions!

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/hitack.htm
post #10 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's just ghetto. I'm cheap but not that cheap.
I agree, its a little more ghetto than I can handle.

I've seen that tape before but have heard from some that its not that great. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and see how it turns out.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That's just ghetto. I'm cheap but not that cheap.
I wanted to say the "Ghetto" comment myself but felt restrained.
Quote:
If price is an issue, the lowest I'd go is gaffer's tape . If price is no option, this Protstar tape. But $38 is a bit much.

There needs to be a tribal counsel for those sorts of suggestions!

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/hitack.htm
I thought of ProtoStar too, but it would not address enough stiffening on the sides. Also, anything permanently attached will restrict the rolling up of the material, which seems to be of paramount importance to the OP/TS.

I don't think spending $50-60.00 total to solve the OP's issues is unreasonable though.

Tribal Council? Ya got Big Chief Ugga Mugg Ugg here.
(...if you can remember that name, you as old as I am.... )

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #12 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Calm down, your being too literal. Duct tape, gaffers tape, this tape, that tape who give a sh**?! The POINT of the suggestion was that adding a 3 inch black boarder to the top and the bottom of gman's screen is a very simple, and easy to goal to achieve, that's all.

And not for nothing fellas, but I was only keeping the suggestion in line with the same level of sophistication that was already being shown to us.

You mean to tell me you guy's think adding black duct tape is ghetto, but hanging and old 16mm movie projector screen off a 1/2 disassembled entertainment unit - AIN'T?

pfft - which 1 you wanna be, the pot or the kettle?
post #13 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I wanted to say the "Ghetto" comment myself but felt restrained.
I thought of ProtoStar too, but it would not address enough stiffening on the sides. Also, anything permanently attached will restrict the rolling up of the material, which seems to be of paramount importance to the OP/TS.

I don't think spending $50-60.00 total to solve the OP's issues is unreasonable though.

Tribal Council? Ya got Big Chief Ugga Mugg Ugg here.
(...if you can remember that name, you as old as I am.... )

I eats me spinach so you no take my squaw!
post #14 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
That's just ghetto.
Oh yeah? Well, I can think of another word for it, junior. Ya know what it is?

FUNCTIONAL
post #15 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

First off, your tone and commentary is neither appreciated or needed. The DIY Screen Forum has become a very civil place, one of the most civil Forums on AVS. And that is how we like it.

Truth be known, almost all of us do give a ****, and in feeling that way, even low key suggestions are made with that mind-think being considered.If anything, we try our best to convince DIY'ers to up the ante all they can because the end results will bear out the extra effort made almost every time.

Yes, we / anyone could have taken the TS to task, berating him for doing such a simple project, and pointed out the old adage "Trying to make a Silk Purse out of...." But DIY has always been about the DIY'er creatively making those decisions, and if needed, asking for help within the DIY community. In that regard, we might have voted our condemnation by making no response whatsoever...like many do elsewhere when they feel an answer is beneath their notice or effort.

But we did not....you did not....you even took time to make a rather detailed suggestion...without letting the TS know how he was so errant in his effort. And the truth being the TS made the situation as it is by doing it as he did, but just the same he did it the only way he thought he could accomplish his goal, and when he found it wanting, he came on to ask for advice.

But lets look at your suggestion. I personally have found no Black Duct Tape that did not have a sheen to it. And Duct tape can...and will wrinkle eventually.

It wasn't the absolute worst suggestion...and yeah...some have used it before in the past I'm sure. The "Ghetto" comment? Well, that was probably a knee-jerk reaction by Debonaire, and as I stated, I felt it's lack of refinement, but felt restrained enough to let it slide on by. That was easy, because I can't really remember anyone seriously considering Duct Tape as a border for quite some time.

So don't go away mad...don't even go away. Just play nice and try to overlook the zeal that some of us have for DIY Screen making. Who knows but it might become contagious.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I eats me spinach so you no take my squaw!
You git it, old man.

...or should I say "Pappy"?

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #17 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Lets keep it civil in here. No offence was meant. I appreciate both of your suggestions, domz777. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and give your input!
post #18 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

OP rules..............his own roost. Just as it should be.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #19 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM

MM,

This place is civil? I read that silver thread which CRMA suggested in the ME thread you linked. If cyberspace weren't separating you guys lots of people would be hospitalized to this day.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
MM,

This place is civil? I read that silver thread which CRMA suggested in the ME thread you linked. If cyberspace weren't separating you guys lots of people would be hospitalized to this day.
Check the dates.

The forum went through a schism-like period. Time was the very thought expressed let alone a outright statement of "ANY" type of DIY Screen laying claim to being "as good as" a Mfg Screen option would have battle lines drawn and bullets flying.

But in truth, the ones most likely to bring out the big artillery were those who had Mfg Screens, because DIY threatened the status quo. There has always been those who felt if it didn't cost enough, and came hand made, it just could not possibly be worthy.

That thread? Just wee little Pussy Cats tumblin' about.

Really, you don't want to even go there...it was a depressing time. The only good thing to happen was that those who were the worst of the lot were so abusive and determinedly and willfully disdaining of the Forum rules they forced the Forum Owners / Mods into taking drastic action. Some dwell elsewhere now....others avoid this Forum because they can't do / say as they please anymore.

I'm down with 'Dat. I myself was never all that patient with such behavior, and not exempt from censure if I took it upon myself to chuck a stone....even if provoked. So obviously I appreciate there not being the incentive present anymore to tempt me....or others.

Peace out!

Now let's get back to seeing gman1217 get himself straightened out around his rough edges.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #21 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Now let's get back to seeing gman1217 get himself straightened out around his rough edges.
This^^
post #22 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
This^^
Your move now.......

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #23 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 03:13 PM

WO! WO! WO! I meant ABSOLUTELY no disrespect - to anyone -, or to even convey ANY kind of tone whatsoever, other then genuine helpfulness in a spirit of friendship and teamwork, that is. Heck, I was 1 of the 1st 1's to even offer a suggestion. I was just defending the 'spirit' of my suggestion that's all. But hey, slightly crossed wires, no biggie, all is peaceful now. Let's move on, all with smiles on our faces and love in out hearts, m'kay?

I'll even retract my duct tape suggestion, and instead offer this in it's place - Some form of adhesive boarder applied to the top and bottom should accomplish the desired effect. I'm keeping the 'clips and oak tag on the sides' tho, I honestly believe that would work great.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM

No need to take it back. Maybe you could use your idea for a home theater theme spinoff of the Red Green Show.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
No need to take it back. Maybe you could use your idea for a home theater theme spinoff of the Red Green Show.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #26 of 29 Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The OP never did mention his screen size. That would help with more suggestions. Things like this are like a puzzle.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The OP never did mention his screen size. That would help with more suggestions. Things like this are like a puzzle.
Sorry, definitely should have mentioned that. The material is 71x126". With the pockets sewn on the top and bottom it probably drops to 68" high. I'm totally OK with making the projected image a little smaller to accommodate something around the edges.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Sorry, definitely should have mentioned that. The material is 71x126". With the pockets sewn on the top and bottom it probably drops to 68" high. I'm totally OK with making the projected image a little smaller to accommodate something around the edges.
Well then, my suggestion should be strongly considered as being the most likely to get'ter dun.

So...........ya got'ter dun yet?

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #29 of 29 Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So...........ya got'ter dun yet?
Not yet, but I'll get to it soon! My wife and kid are going out of town next week so I should have time for projects. I'll post pictures once/if I have an update.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
homemade screen , masking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page