Old 08-05-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This forum helped me 10 years ago, need help again

Hi guys,

I came here 10 years ago for help with a DIY screen for my Infocus X1 projector, and then with my Infocus 4805. I fully enjoyed my prior screen.

What I did then was do an 80" roller painted Home Depot tile board with a 1x4 velvet covered border. I just bought an Optoma HD65 from ebay. It will be projecting from a hair over 11 feet. Viewing distance is 10 feet. I am planning for a 100" diagonal screen. I could do basically what I did last time and use tileboard and paint it. Easy to do, nice and flat. If I do that, do you guys have advice for a simple rollable paint? The one I did last time was some kind of flat paint at HD matching a swatch popular back then, I don't remember the name.

Should I consider painted fabric instead? Blackout cloth? I see spandex talked about a lot here as well.

Bring me up to date with DIY screens guys! Inexpensive and simple are important factors for me. I did search around some, but mostly saw complex paint formulas, simple is good enough for my needs. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 257
What's old is new again.

Stick with a solid substrate. Thrifty White at HD will do nicely. It comes in 48" x 96" so if you want 100" you will have to place trim on the outside edges of it's 48" x 86" dimensions.

Using Behr Silver Screen in a Flat (Matte) Latex will be the easiest and least expensive option.

Use a good quality roller and don't overwork your paint.
Ftoast likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks very much, that does keep it simple. Any comments on this article? I imagine there must have been a lot of debate about it when it came out back in 2011!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm
Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post
Thanks very much, that does keep it simple. Any comments on this article? I imagine there must have been a lot of debate about it when it came out back in 2011!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm
It started out being pretentious by the very Title alone....and it only got more misleading as it went along.

The general consensus (...and fact..) was that the suggestion to use the recommended paint was wrong.....one NEVER uses a Satin. It was a choice made by the Author to try to recreate the gain and color balance of the stated Mfg Screen and honestly, the Author had no real experience as to what types of proven DIY paint applications were already popular or in use.

....or it could be he simply did not want to advocate the use of any such, but instead attempt to come up with his own suggestion? But the end result was a surface that would hot spot using anything but the lowest lumen output PJs, as well as do nothing to maintain contrast. All that application had going for it was the high degree of exposure it received as a article posted on a well trafficked website. A real shame that because it's of a certain that there were many who were led astray, and in DIY Screen making that always is unfortunate.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, when you say Behr Silverscreen, is that just the Behr flat latex paint, and Silverscreen is the color swatch match? Is one quart enough for my screen size?
Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post
So, when you say Behr Silverscreen, is that just the Behr flat latex paint, and Silverscreen is the color swatch match? Is one quart enough for my screen size?
Sorry this went unattended so long.

Yes, Silverscreen is a color that is mixed into a Flat White base.
Not being snippy here, but no Paint mfg sells pre-mixed colors except in aerosol cans. Everything is a tinted mix from color cards.

Find the least expensive White base and go with that and get 2 quarts or one Gallon, which ever is less expensive. You do not want to run short. In fact, for best results, roll one quart on as a pure white undercoat that preps the board, the one mixed to Silver Screen. If the 1st coat is white, your ability to cover that coating effectively with two thin coats of SS will be greatly enhanced.

To quote James T. Kirk;