Acoustically Transparent - Spandex vs Perf Screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Acoustically Transparent - Spandex vs Perf Screen?

this is my first theater... more like a media room where I can control the light but when we are watching football and such, there will be ambient light.

working specs...
wall space for 110-120" screen
9' ceiling
20' long room - going to use about 15-16 of the length as the viewing space, first row ~ 10-12' from screen
BenQ W1070 will arrive next week (planning to ceiling mount eventually - table for now)

My neighbor built a 118" AC perf screen for about $400 (all materials, including metal frame/channel)

Is it more prudent to look to getting a perf screen or to make a Spandex screen for my situation?
- the price difference is not an issue, my budget is up to $400 anyway
- I'm lazy and would like the easiest thing to do... but making a spandex screen does not look like that much work anyway

So, seems like it comes down to two factors... what will produce a combo of the best image for my setup, and the best audio?

thanks for the help!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
As expected, the primary difference between Spandex and Mfg AT screens is the Fabric.

Spandex (Milliskin) has a much smoother surface. There is absolutely no visible weave or holes from even 1' away. As such there is no chance that Morie can ever occure
If ever a AT Screen could be adjudged as being 4K ready, Spandex fits that bill.

Sound wise, in actual tests 2 Layers of Spandex equals or surpasses virtually all single layered AT Material, regardless of price.

Affordability and Ease of installation both are features Spandex alone excels in.

Some...if not most Mfg AT Screens might produce a brighter image because of the difference in Gain (0.8-0.9 Spandex vs 1.0-1.2 Mfg. AT)

The latter seemingly being the only advantage Mfg AT material possess.

Taking your largest desired Screen size into play, at 120" diagonal and placing the w1070 at a throw of 11'-4" (mid throw) while putting Gain at only .08*, you still achieve a full 17 foot lambert of reflected brightness. *based on using the Light Silver Milliskin to improve on the w1070's low contrast

More aural / visual advantages....easier to work with....less cost...., your decision to make.

Spandex is the Holy Grail of DIY AT Screens.
Choose wisely.........

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 8 Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MississippiMan,
I read your thread, and you have provided great input - thank you!

A few questions to get your opinion...

How much ambient light can be in the room and still have a watchable (no eye strain) 110-120" screen with the W1070? I
I think i need 3 yards of each (Matte White & Light Silver) for 110-120" - yes?
I've seen where some people have used White over Black - do you think it helps the W1070 a lot with contrast? Will it really be a noticeable gain difference?

I should mention...
most of my viewing over the last 5+ years was (just sold) a 65" Mits RP DLP (10' distance) and now a new 55" LCD (8' distance)
viewing is 50% TV, 30% Movies, 20% Sports - all 720p, 1080i/p

thanks for the help!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #4 of 8 Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you minimize your Throw distance, and be certain to direct any room illumination sources away from the screen, you can have a pretty considerable amount of indirect ambient light present.

3 Yards each, yes.

I strongly suggest White over Silver. Black will attenuate the reflectivity more than you would care to.
marinerito likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MississippiMan I have a related question.

I am working on a DIY screen using milliskin fabric. I have a W1070 projector, and was planning on white over light silver Milliskin. I am inferring below that I should use the Light Silver on top due to low contrast of this projector? On tests at home the light silver seems a little on the dark side. I have a fully light controlled room (basement). The white over silver was very bright and the color does pop, on the other hand it does loose some detail in the blacks. I understand there are some limitations with this projector.

"Taking your largest desired Screen size into play, at 120" diagonal and placing the w1070 at a throw of 11'-4" (mid throw) while putting Gain at only .08*, you still achieve a full 17 foot lambert of reflected brightness. *based on using the Light Silver Milliskin to improve on the w1070's low contrast"
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

That is incorrect...I was relating to the Silver Milliskin being the bottom layer.

Sorry I did not make that clearer.

To get better blacks use Low lamp and calibrate the PJ to that setting.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MM,
been doing some more reading... looks like SMX and some DIYers were using Phifer Sheerweave 4600 chalk solar screen. What is the performance of the Spandex vs the Phifer Sheerweave?

________
Ltek

post #8 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
That is incorrect...I was relating to the Silver Milliskin being the bottom layer.

Sorry I did not make that clearer.

To get better blacks use Low lamp and calibrate the PJ to that setting.
Thanks for the reply and the clarification. I should be attaching the fabric to my frame next week. I just won't have the time till then. I try to balance work on my theater project with other things around the house to keep the WAF going. Maybe I will get the nerve to make a thread and put up some pictures.
Reply DIY Screen Section
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page