How to spray in the small apt? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to spray in the small apt?

Hey guys, intrigued by the DIY paints, but question is what is the good frame build for 110" 16:9 screen? I had 110 from Jamestown and it arched up even with central support. Secondly, is it even realistic to spray the paint on Flexiwhite in the small apt, with furniture, equipment, etc without evacuating the apt? I say realistically and I mean pragmatically. Overspray is tough to manage at least I have seen it in the past as technique is to do 6_7 light coats from 14" vs. just get the paint on. Obviously,this is all about qua?ity job, not just low cost. Most of the screens from Elite, Dalite, Draper, I have tested in the gray territory of sub $500 are abysmally poor, either on uniformity, hot spotting or sheen. Yes $3000 Ambient Visionnaire from Seymour are better but it is out of my league.

Any good vidoes on how to prep paints and more importantly how to spray properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hello!

The technique isn't difficult to master....it is something done fairly quickly, so a little practice at maintaining speed, distance, and correct row overlapping and your there. The actual spraying of an individual coat takes on average about 1 minute at 120" diagonal....or slightly less when the screen is 110"'

Creating a spray Booth requires some 9' x 12' x 0.7 & 2 mil Plastic sheeting, Thumbtacks and Blue Tape. Also there exists Pre-taped rolls of 48" wide Plastic which are great for masking off the perimeters of the actual screen area to be painted.

I start by taping off the perimeter of the screen area, plus 1" using 2" wide Blue Tape. Then using the Pre-taped Plastic, I attach it across the top of the Screen area, 1" out from the inside edge of the Blue tape, and with each end going our at least 2' Starting at that +2' location, you secure that end with a Thumbtack, then apply the tape until you reach the other end, and attach another Tack. One thing...be careful not to pin the folded plastic under the pre-applied Tape as it makes it difficult to pull loose when the time comes to unfold it.

That time has come. On most installations the top of the screen will be well within 3'. unfolding the plastic down over the screen, until completely unfolded, you start at the center and getting between the Plastic and the wall, slide the plastic up the wall until you reach the Wall / Ceiling junction, and place a Tack at the top edge of the Wall. Continue out each direction using a Tack every 2' or so, taking care to keep the plastic straight in regards to the original tape line. The Plastic will fold over the pre-taped edge...so don't pull to tight lest you pull that tape loose.

Once you have stretched it out, you can do likewise again, from the center outward, and attach the leading edge to the Ceiling,...with occasional tacks inside and across the plastic to hold the center areas of the plastic against Ceiling.

Going back to the original taped edge, put Blue tape Over that edge and onto the 1" of remaining exposed Blue Tape. This assures a good sealed attachment.

This first step is the most involved. After that, it becomes a simple matter of outlining the sides / bottom of the screen with the Pre-Taped Plastic, and then overlapping that plactic with the 2 mil sheets and using Tacks to hold that plastic to the walls / ceiling. I let the 12" long length drape down from the Ceiling, forming the walls of my tent6, and I make the tented area at least 6' to 8' deep, and I place 2 mil sheets on the Floor within the tent. Overlapping drapes in the Rear center allows access without dust leakage.

This procedure works great if one has to work within a small area full of furnishings that can simply be moved out to the edges.
Using the 0.7 mil x 9' x 12' sheets you can drape over any remaining areas of Furniture outside the Tent walls if the Wife / SO still has worries.

Use more Blue Tape to seal any overlapping plastic sheets. Consider the change in Air pressure within the tent when the Spraying is going on, and overlap the Plastic do that pressure pushed the inside sheets against the overlapped outside sheets. This applies to the Ceiling to Floor drapes as well. Underlap them under the Plastic applied to the ceiling of the Tent, push tacks through both pieces, and seal the two pieces of Plastic with Tape.

Tacks allow the Plastic to be held firm against a surface. It does not take too many, and they leave unnoticeable holes. If Tape was solely used there would be a much grater risk of pulling off paint along the long lengths of taped areas.

This detailed description might seem it all to be more complicated and more work than it really is. It's not.

It so happens I must today make a tent to repair some existing defects in a recently painted screen, defects that popped into existence after the screen was painted. That can happen....the high contrast paint can make otherwise invisible scratches and pits become visible, and when someone else besides yourself will be closely examining the screen, when it is off (...these defects cannot be seen under projected light...)then the surface simply has to be every bit as perfect...or more so than a Mfg Screen counterpart.

So I will take some pictures.

Meanwhile go to my Profile, pull up "Threads by..." and visit the many threads that involve screen painting to get a overview of the spray technique, and paint assembly. Questions afterward I can address.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 16 Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

@MississippiMan phenomenal write up, thank you very much! I will study it carefully. If you happen to get pictures of the tent assembly pls share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Hello!

The technique isn't difficult to master....it is something done fairly quickly, so a little practice at maintaining speed, distance, and correct row overlapping and your there. The actual spraying of an individual coat takes on average about 1 minute at 120" diagonal....or slightly less when the screen is 110"'

Creating a spray Booth requires some 9' x 12' x 0.7 & 2 mil Plastic sheeting, Thumbtacks and Blue Tape. Also there exists Pre-taped rolls of 48" wide Plastic which are great for masking off the perimeters of the actual screen area to be painted.

I start by taping off the perimeter of the screen area, plus 1" using 2" wide Blue Tape. Then using the Pre-taped Plastic, I attach it across the top of the Screen area, 1" out from the inside edge of the Blue tape, and with each end going our at least 2' Starting at that +2' location, you secure that end with a Thumbtack, then apply the tape until you reach the other end, and attach another Tack. One thing...be careful not to pin the folded plastic under the pre-applied Tape as it makes it difficult to pull loose when the time comes to unfold it.

That time has come. On most installations the top of the screen will be well within 3'. unfolding the plastic down over the screen, until completely unfolded, you start at the center and getting between the Plastic and the wall, slide the plastic up the wall until you reach the Wall / Ceiling junction, and place a Tack at the top edge of the Wall. Continue out each direction using a Tack every 2' or so, taking care to keep the plastic straight in regards to the original tape line. The Plastic will fold over the pre-taped edge...so don't pull to tight lest you pull that tape loose.

Once you have stretched it out, you can do likewise again, from the center outward, and attach the leading edge to the Ceiling,...with occasional tacks inside and across the plastic to hold the center areas of the plastic against Ceiling.

Going back to the original taped edge, put Blue tape Over that edge and onto the 1" of remaining exposed Blue Tape. This assures a good sealed attachment.

This first step is the most involved. After that, it becomes a simple matter of outlining the sides / bottom of the screen with the Pre-Taped Plastic, and then overlapping that plactic with the 2 mil sheets and using Tacks to hold that plastic to the walls / ceiling. I let the 12" long length drape down from the Ceiling, forming the walls of my tent6, and I make the tented area at least 6' to 8' deep, and I place 2 mil sheets on the Floor within the tent. Overlapping drapes in the Rear center allows access without dust leakage.

This procedure works great if one has to work within a small area full of furnishings that can simply be moved out to the edges.
Using the 0.7 mil x 9' x 12' sheets you can drape over any remaining areas of Furniture outside the Tent walls if the Wife / SO still has worries.

Use more Blue Tape to seal any overlapping plastic sheets. Consider the change in Air pressure within the tent when the Spraying is going on, and overlap the Plastic do that pressure pushed the inside sheets against the overlapped outside sheets. This applies to the Ceiling to Floor drapes as well. Underlap them under the Plastic applied to the ceiling of the Tent, push tacks through both pieces, and seal the two pieces of Plastic with Tape.

Tacks allow the Plastic to be held firm against a surface. It does not take too many, and they leave unnoticeable holes. If Tape was solely used there would be a much grater risk of pulling off paint along the long lengths of taped areas.

This detailed description might seem it all to be more complicated and more work than it really is. It's not.

It so happens I must today make a tent to repair some existing defects in a recently painted screen, defects that popped into existence after the screen was painted. That can happen....the high contrast paint can make otherwise invisible scratches and pits become visible, and when someone else besides yourself will be closely examining the screen, when it is off (...these defects cannot be seen under projected light...)then the surface simply has to be every bit as perfect...or more so than a Mfg Screen counterpart.

So I will take some pictures.

Meanwhile go to my Profile, pull up "Threads by..." and visit the many threads that involve screen painting to get a overview of the spray technique, and paint assembly. Questions afterward I can address.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

MississipiMan Looked through your threads and I am very very appreciative of your commitment to the DIY community here. I have two problems, landlord does not allow me to darken the walls and my spouse is petrified by me spraying for the first time in my life in the actual apartment I lost my house with garage and nice workshop in the first divorce and now live in the small apartment but do not want to go through another divorce over the the overspray

My setup is second-hand JVC X-3 (not the brightest proj) with new bulb I watch in Normal no need for High right now, flat white walls, ceiling and carpet.
Screen to Projector distance - 140"
Screen to Viewer distance - 164"
Screen ~105"-110"
Throw ratio: ~1.4 - 1.6

Any advise for me what should I use for the board or frame for my size? I can buy Flexiwhite material but can I roll on Flexiwhite or should I use a board and roll on it and more importantly what paint do you recommend that I use?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Not quite understanding why your thread starts out "How to Spray in a Small Apt." and then you follow up with "My Wife won't let me spray."

Unless your petrification is the real issue, and if that is the case you need to get over it. I have instructed literally hundreds of rank NOOBs in the art of spraying indoors, most all of which had to do it in Family Rooms w/Furniture, and I know of not one single disaster or Court Filing that resulted from those efforts.

The raw facts are this:

• You need Gain.
  • You need help with maintaining black levels you already posses.
  • You need help with improving Black Levels when ambient light and reflective light interferes.
No really roll-able paint exists that can do of the above really well. The closest I can suggest that is well proven is RS-MaxxMudd LL

Otherwise consider Flexi-Gray stretched onto a Frame....and stay within 105" diagonal.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 16 Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

OK, if no paint is truly roll-able then spraying is my way forward, I will take my risks and follow your spray tent advise to the letter, but visuals will be very helpful if you are building these tents from time to time, I would love to see a video of it but I realize videotaping takes a lot of time, so I will have to go with the verbatim that you posted. Thank you for that.

What is the paint that you recommend for my conditions to spray? SilverFire but which one?

Flexigrey is sub-0.8 and with Normal mode my JVC will not be able to light to 16ftL, I do need a good paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Not quite understanding why your thread starts out "How to Spray in a Small Apt." and then you follow up with "My Wife won't let me spray."

Unless your petrification is the real issue, and if that is the case you need to get over it. I have instructed literally hundreds of rank NOOBs in the art of spraying indoors, most all of which had to do it in Family Rooms w/Furniture, and I know of not one single disaster or Court Filing that resulted from those efforts.

The raw facts are this:

• You need Gain.
  • You need help with maintaining black levels you already posses.
  • You need help with improving Black Levels when ambient light and reflective light interferes.
No really roll-able paint exists that can do of the above really well. The closest I can suggest that is well proven is RS-MaxxMudd LL

Otherwise consider Flexi-Gray stretched onto a Frame....and stay within 105" diagonal.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well awlrighty then. I had to delay my Tent Build until today...but I'm off to that location in 5 minutes. Watch for a expose' this evening. I wall answer your other queries then as well.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #8 of 16 Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK....got the Tent up. But before that I brought out my 500 watt Work light and found several more bad spots that had to me repaired, so priming & painting won't start until today.

First, here is a shot of the screen taken immediately after painting, but before I found the blemishes.

........and a shot that shows the initial repairs. I have almost 2x as many to go back and sand / prime today !

The Pre Taped Plastic I am using is 0.7 mil x 48" wide x 75' on a Roll (Lowes)

The 1st application of Plastic along the Top edge of the screen, which is then folded upward against the screen wall and tacked to that wall and the Ceiling.

Moving to the Right.....

Moving to the Left....

Both additional Side sheets applied to the side edges of the screen and wrapped around the corners.

A 2 mil Pastic Sheet (9' x 12') section applied to the Ceiling, with 6" overlap toward the screen and a 4' Drop at rear.

A view showing that overlap Taped.

Taking a 2 mil 20' x 10' sheet, and starting on the Right 4" inside the Right Wall / Corner, I then wrapped the "inside" of the Ceiling Plastic including the Rear Drop.

This next shot shows a View inside the Tent, with 2 mil Plastic laid down over the Carper and Taped to the adjoining Plastic walls.

Off I go now. I hope this pictorial shows how "Paint Tight" you can make an area around a Screen (...even one that is 143" diagonal ! ) using just Thumb Tacks and a minimum amount of Blue tape.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1408106898

To quote James T. Kirk;

Last edited by MississippiMan; 08-15-2014 at 06:03 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well I hope you get back soon because the links aren't working.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-14-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

That is strange because I am looking at a page full of images right now...and on my Samsung Phone no less.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 16 Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

All I'm getting are broken link icons. When I copy, paste and go to the link, avs says "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
post #12 of 16 Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can second that, broken links
post #13 of 16 Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Crazy ....I just logged back on and there are images on my Monitor.

Might be because they originated on my computer. Let me see.........

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #14 of 16 Old 08-15-2014, 06:02 AM
post #15 of 16 Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Why is the after shot a beige room and the tent pictures a nice dark grey room?
post #16 of 16 Old 08-15-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Because I painted the screen before the room was painted darker grey. I covered the screen with plastic before they painted the room. It was not until I removed the plastic much later and viewed the screen under a 500 watt light that I discovered all of the defects that needed to be fixed.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page