Need the assistance and expertise of the Chosen ones New at building screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need the assistance and expertise of the Chosen ones New at building screen

Hello there, so I want to build a screen for my Epson 8350 in my 10x10 room with minimal ambient light. I want something really good and have an idea of what I want.
I want a 92 inch screen with LEDs. I plan to use Sintra and paint some SF 2.5 5.0 mix. How would this look with the lights on? Although I don't have a lot of ambient light, i still need to turn on the lights every once in a while. Will little sparkles be easily visible? I would love to know make this happen. I live in Los Angeles and cant figure out where to buy the sintra. If i could be redirected to the forums for the following I would greatly appreciate it. Best sprayer to use and correct form, best steps to go about doing this. I would really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

or avoid making a whole new one and paint on the crappy screen I bought for Frys? Although I lose the excitement of building something from scratch It would save me money. The real question is, is this way comperable to Sintra with SF
post #3 of 12 Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Is your existing screen a Fixed Screen? And if so, does the surface have any texture?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

No its not a fixed screen, and yes it does have minimal surface texture, thanks for replying MM
post #5 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

To do this the least expensive way, you'll need to build a Frame to hold a solid material like Thrifty White Hardboard or Sintra.

Do you want Zero Edge?

If so, using a 48" x 96" sheet cut to 45" x 80" you'll want your Frame made to 42" x 77" outside dimensions.

I would make that Frame from Hand Picked 2 x 3's, and the Board of whatever material would be glued onto the Frame using Locktite Heavy Duty Adhesive.

Of course there is more to be determined / discussed, but that is where you should start your planning. SF 2.5 in the 4.0 range will do you good stead....and sparklies are not going to be an issue.

Best Sprayer....right now the best deal available is this.....: http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0417005.../dp/B000DZBP60

Frankly, without your current Screen being Tab Tensioned, and it having "any" texture compared to el'zilcho for the Sintra / Thrifty White, there is no way to consider painting such a screen as to being a route to achieving the best possible results.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #6 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I plan to use your famous velvet border. Would you recommend 2" around or 1.5" extra for the Black Velvet.
What size should i request the board?

How would I add the Black Velvet to the edges, using Tacks?

Ive seen alot of your threads and notice that you put the adhesive and 2x4's on the wall then add in the Sintra, would I be able to build the frame off the wall and on the floor and add on the sintra. Then put up the Screen.

I really appreciate the help MM
post #7 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Is there any noticeable difference from the Sintra vs the Thrifty White.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMendez View Post
Is there any noticeable difference from the Sintra vs the Thrifty White.
Primarily in your Wallet, which will seem to have gotten a bit skinnier if you use SINTRA.

But actually, TWH is so very much less expensive, when one is doing a screen small enough to use a 4 x 8 sheet, it's really hard to justify the difference. I do like SINTRA a lot though....because after all, it is "Sign Board" and specifically intended to be used for painting upon.

So your using a Border....then the SINTRA / TWH would be measured at 48" x 84" and the Frame at 45" x 81"

You can make the Frame be attached to the Screen Board and hang the whole assembly with a French Cleat. All LED Wiring leads can be distributed within the center of the Frame area. You have a small screen, (the ones I did we at least 25% larger minimally,) and that makes it much easier to work with.

I have something in mind for your trim that will be very easy to use. let me readdress this tonight before you make any buying decisions.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #9 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Im going to get a quote for the Sintra shortly from Piedmont Plastics. After that I will decide on whether I want the Sintra of TWH.
Now for the measurements of the Frame I would need to cut the ends to make them diagonal correct?

Thanks , and let me know about the Trim thanks.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Or you can just trade me some SF for a couple cases of beer.

Last edited by MartinMendez; 08-14-2014 at 09:59 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Im going to get a quote for the Sintra shortly from Piedmont Plastics. After that I will decide on whether I want the Sintra of TWH.
Now for the measurements of the Frame I would need to cut the ends to make them diagonal correct?

Thanks , and let me know about the Trim thanks.
Let me know the location of the Piedmont outlet and your quote before you order. I got a little pull with them and sometimes can arrange for a better price for Members.

If you Tape off the perimeter of your Sintra to the correct width, you could apply Protostar Flocking Tape directly to the sheet and get virtually perfect Masking with a small 1-5/8" border...which would be an appropriate size for your screen. Also, such a smaller border will compliment your LED back lighting.

Quote:
Or you can just trade me some SF for a couple cases of beer.
That has been known to happen.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #12 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Let me know the location of the Piedmont outlet and your quote before you order. I got a little pull with them and sometimes can arrange for a better price for Members.

If you Tape off the perimeter of your Sintra to the correct width, you could apply Protostar Flocking Tape directly to the sheet and get virtually perfect Masking with a small 1-5/8" border...which would be an appropriate size for your screen. Also, such a smaller border will compliment your LED back lighting.

That has been known to happen.
the location is in Ontario, but I just realized la Mirada seems close. Either way the Ontario one quoted me 59 bucks for the cut of Komatex (which I've read is a clone of sintra). Let me know if you can work some sorcery and end up with a better deal.

nice ill give it a shot with the tape. I appreciate the help.

so ill send you a couple of cases and we swap SF for octoberfest?

it would make my life alot easier. Haha
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page