Cheap screen for fantasy draft - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cheap screen for fantasy draft

I posted this in a different thread with no response. Feel like it might have been the wrong area. Sorry hope it doesn't upset anyone I'm reposting, I just am having the Draft Saturday and know someone around here can help. Thanks everyone.

So im hosting our big annual fantasy football draft this year at my house. My basement is still in progress. All studded up and electrical ran but no drywall or flooring yet. So im planning on having it in the garage. I borrowed a cheap projector from someone (im using a draft software that i hook my laptop to a projector and you have a live draftboard projected)

I did a test run this weekend, and this projector doesnt do well in lit areas. Like even a little light makes it tough to see. I also was projecting it on my garage drywall that is mudded but not painted or texted. Just drywall with taped and mudded seams.

I was thinking about just going to wallyworld and buying a cheap white sheet and stretching it and nailing it to the wall. Like I said this is just a fantasy draft that will be about 3 hours in my garage with me and a bunch of trash talking drunk friends so im not concerned about theatre quality. But I am hoping for some cheap suggestions that may help with the viewing. Should I go to a fabric shop and look for a certain fabric? Just look for the cheapest white sheet they have at wallyworld? Do I just buy a gallon of paint and paint that wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post
I posted this in a different thread with no response. Feel like it might have been the wrong area. Sorry hope it doesn't upset anyone I'm reposting, I just am having the Draft Saturday and know someone around here can help. Thanks everyone.

So im hosting our big annual fantasy football draft this year at my house. My basement is still in progress. All studded up and electrical ran but no drywall or flooring yet. So im planning on having it in the garage. I borrowed a cheap projector from someone (im using a draft software that i hook my laptop to a projector and you have a live draftboard projected)

I did a test run this weekend, and this projector doesnt do well in lit areas. Like even a little light makes it tough to see. I also was projecting it on my garage drywall that is mudded but not painted or texted. Just drywall with taped and mudded seams.

I was thinking about just going to wallyworld and buying a cheap white sheet and stretching it and nailing it to the wall. Like I said this is just a fantasy draft that will be about 3 hours in my garage with me and a bunch of trash talking drunk friends so im not concerned about theatre quality. But I am hoping for some cheap suggestions that may help with the viewing. Should I go to a fabric shop and look for a certain fabric? Just look for the cheapest white sheet they have at wallyworld? Do I just buy a gallon of paint and paint that wall?
Let us know what projector you are borrowing and how far from the wall you are projecting from. Also what size image do you want and how much ambient light are we talking about? From those details someone will be able to make a recommendation.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

These are just a few photos I have that hopefully can help. I cant have it pitch black because people will have there stuff they will bring like roster sheets and cheat sheets that they will need to be able to read and write on. So its tough saying exactly how much light there will be. Pretty much the least amount necessary for people to do that stuff. The projector is some off brand. Just some old POS that was sitting around in there closet. So far from playing around with it I can only get it to project in full screen too which kind of stinks. Would much rather have widescreen. These were just taken from my phone so there are not exact but it gives you an idea. Like I said its just projecting a draft board. Im not real concerned about beautiful 1080p just something that will make it more visible for the cheapest possible. Idc if its paint, a sheet, or a sheet of something. I may do it in my basement. Gonna depend on the weather. Lookin like it might be around 90 saturday, but we have some smokers so garage will probably be best. I should be able to control light to some point in either place since it will be later at night. Let me know if there is any other info I can give you to help. I really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140816_132743[1].jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	221378   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140816_145057[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	221386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140820_163950[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	221394  
post #4 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Oh Lordy....

It's the infamous China Man's PJ.

It is as "Off Brand" as they come. No HDMI....ultra low lumen....No way it is even true HD.

You best bet would be to move it in so that you have a 70"-to- 80" diagonal image, and paint the wall an ever so light Gray. Go to Home Depot and ask for the Behr Color "Silver Screen" and then have the Paint Tech help you choose another Gray slightly lighter. Get a Quart.
Put up some White Primer first (2 coats) and then roll the Gray on as good as you can. (2 Coats minimum.)

Keep the lights off / away from the screen area.

And don't judge PJs or Screens by what you'll be dealing with.

I'm gonna go toss now...........

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Lol Yeah im assuming thats why its been sitting in his closet for 7 years. Surprisingly it does have HDMI though. Just out of curiousity, how much does that paint costs (ballpark)? Also, could you recommend how far away to have it from the wall? Or do I just keep backing up til I get the 70-80 diagnol?
post #6 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just googled it. Looks like 8 oz testers are only $3. Says it covers up to 16 sqft. Thats all they have on the website.

So I know the screen will never be home theater quality but will this make it reflect better? (not sure if reflect is the right word) But hopefully you know what i mean. I guess easier to see?
post #7 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Lol Yeah im assuming thats why its been sitting in his closet for 7 years. Surprisingly it does have HDMI though. Just out of curiousity, how much does that paint costs (ballpark)? Also, could you recommend how far away to have it from the wall? Or do I just keep backing up til I get the 70-80 diagnol?
Brother....a manual "set to" is all ya got, 'cause it's fur certin' shur that puppy aint got no place in any of the Projector calculators.

You can play though. The Paint might run you between $12.00-$14.00, but ask if they have a off brand on sale....you'd not be hurtin' yur chances anymore than you are already.

A Quart of Primer will be about the same. A plain Ol' Roller wand ($3.95) and Plastic Tray ($4.00) and a couple Roller Covers (1/4" Nap $6.00 )

You'll be out $35.00 - $40.00 if you have to get all of it.

Of course you could just get Primer and have them tint it the shade of desired light Gray.

Too bad you can't forgo the roller / Covers and just toss the paint up....but hey....you could use a old 4" Brush

ROTFLMAOACT

Honestly....I hope to see you return anew when you are fully in charge of determining your own HT fate. When that happens....we'll have yur back fur shur.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #8 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

have plenty of paint trays and rollers luckily. Im in the process of finishing the basement right now. Gonna be a "man cave"/game room. Pool table, bar, etc. Electrical finished, along with hdmi and all other components. Just have to get speaker wire ran. Am debating on whether to go Flat screen or projector down there. Ill definitely be coming back for your opinions then.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you have a fabric store and some coupons (think JoAnne Fabric) some black out cloth is cheap, easy and can be tacked up and then removed. It projects well.

Home Theater is GREAT
post #10 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

So between the paint and black out cloth, which would be better? Would they be similar or would one be a lot better?
post #11 of 19 Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Paint if you want any degree of watching ability on ambient light.

BOC if you simply want a quick white surface. But be advised it won't be much less expensive, and it won't be something you will want to plan any future endeavor around.

IMO.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #12 of 19 Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

So, I just called Sherwin Williams before I went to Home Depot, since its right down the road from my house. Figured I'd see if they had something similar. The girl that answered had never heard of such a paint and claimed I should use flat white paint. So I called Menards, Lowes and Home Depot. Pretty much the same response everywhere. "Uhhh Ive never heard of such a thing. Pretty sure we dont have anything fSo are they morons or me? Is it just a tint that you add to any old paint or is there something different about the paint?
post #13 of 19 Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

They are morons....but especially whoever you spoke to at The Home Depot.

You cannot get any dependable information over the telephone from someone who may just be temporary help at the paint counter.

Silver Screen is a known Behr Color and part of their color card selection. You will have to go in personally and not depend upon some disinterested peon to go find it for you.

Look at the light gray cards. You will find it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #14 of 19 Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

K, so just to clarify... It's just a color option for behr that they can add to one of these points. It's not a special formula of paint that makes it effective? Thanks
post #15 of 19 Old 08-21-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
K, so just to clarify... It's just a color option for behr that they can add to one of these points. It's not a special formula of paint that makes it effective? Thanks
It is just a tint color.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #16 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I completely forgot to ask, what finish do you recommend? Semi gloss, flat....?
post #17 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Flat.....Always flat.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #18 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Already looks a ton better. Thanks for the input. Put 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of silver screen. This picture is with a light on and from my phone from about 20' away. Probably can't tell from the picture but it looks a thousand times better. The very top and bottom of the picture are blurry but I'm guessing that's just because the projector is a pos. But if anyone has any idea how to fix that problem I'd love to hear it. Don't have it completely set up yet though. Sitting on a ladder a little over 10' from the wall. Just threw it up for a test run.

94° with heat index of 105 today in the garage painting wasn't fun but thanks to you guys I think my draft party will be a success. Thanks to everyone. This is truly a great community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408763013482_1408763042224.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	225097  
post #19 of 19 Old 08-23-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

A 1000 times better? I can accept that and go on livin'

Have a great time and hoist at least two for me.

PS...just make sure the PJ is level and square to the wall and the blurriness should subside. Otherwise it's most likely a Lens issue.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page