Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
60% off at Joann Fabrics right now

Just a heads up for all you DIYers. Joann's has 60% off a single cut of fabric through this weekend. Their black velvet is the Royalty 3 Velvet and is quite nice. Maybe not as good as some others, but for $7.99 a yard, it's a steal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Just a heads up for all you DIYers. Joann's has 60% off a single cut of fabric through this weekend. Their black velvet is the Royalty 3 Velvet and is quite nice. Maybe not as good as some others, but for $7.99 a yard, it's a steal.
The stuff might look pretty but unless you get dress quality velvet like Fidelio, nothing beats heavyweight Duvetyn. None of Joanns velvets are good quality. They are thin and only good for crafts.

https://www.dazian.com/product-detai...catalog=Dazian
post #3 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How good are their black out cloth for a first time projector-er? Just purchased Benq w1070.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albie1kanobi View Post
How good are their black out cloth for a first time projector-er? Just purchased Benq w1070.
There are better choices out there unless you want a Roc-lon blackout coth (3 yards) screen as a super cheap ~$14 substrate for a 110" screen.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
The stuff might look pretty but unless you get dress quality velvet like Fidelio, nothing beats heavyweight Duvetyn. None of Joanns velvets are good quality. They are thin and only good for crafts.
While I will agree that the Royaly 3 velvet is not as acceptable for use as Screen Trim wrap as is Madonna or Fidelio (@ Hancock Fabrics) nor on the same level as the Triple Plush velvet from Sy Fabrics (...both in consistently low price and better performance...) I do not go along with the "nothing beats heavyweight Duvetyn" statement.

Duvetyn has a decidedly flat, almost Felt-like appearance that does not mask projected light very well. Nor can it be "ripped" into long straight pieces, necessitating such lengths be scissor cut if it is to be used as wrapping for Screen trim. Also, while acceptable for use as a commercial light blocking Curtain, no Home owner is going to hang the dull, drab stuff as either Curtains or Wall Draperies.

As an alternative, it's there to consider. But as far as stating "nothing beats heavyweight Duvetyn".....not even. I gotta ask this....how much experience with Duvetyn in these application do you have?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #6 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
There are better choices out there unless you want a Roc-lon blackout coth (3 yards) screen as a super cheap ~$14 substrate for a 110" screen.
I do plan on building my own screen eventually but wanna fix some things first for ex: control ambient light (walls are beige) and figure out where I'm gonna mount the Projector. I'm shooting for either 120 or 135"
How many yards to test 120" and which Roc-lon blackout cloth(there's 7 different types) ?
Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I clearly understand that the Royalty 3 is not as good as some others people have listed. I purchased some black felt from Walmart a few days ago to see if this could work for my ceiling treatments since it was so cheap. After a coupon it was 2.99 per yard. I put it up and was very disappointed. I already have parts of my wall with the Royalty 3 and it largely surpasses the felt. I did look at Hancock fabrics but the only velvet they carried was $29 a yard. It was the material made for dresses.

So, yes, my stuff aint the greatest, but in my application it does wonders. The light overspill on to my border is not detectable even when 2 feet away from the border. I love how it looks like the screen is floating now.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
While I will agree that the Royaly 3 velvet is not as acceptable for use as Screen Trim wrap as is Madonna or Fidelio (@ Hancock Fabrics) nor on the same level as the Triple Plush velvet from Sy Fabrics (...both in consistently low price and better performance...) I do not go along with the "nothing beats heavyweight Duvetyn" statement.

Duvetyn has a decidedly flat, almost Felt-like appearance that does not mask projected light very well. Nor can it be "ripped" into long straight pieces, necessitating such lengths be scissor cut if it is to be used as wrapping for Screen trim. Also, while acceptable for use as a commercial light blocking Curtain, no Home owner is going to hang the dull, drab stuff as either Curtains or Wall Draperies.

As an alternative, it's there to consider. But as far as stating "nothing beats heavyweight Duvetyn".....not even. I gotta ask this....how much experience with Duvetyn in these application do you have?
I made a 100" screen painted BOC. You're right it needs to be cut with scissors. The strips were glued directly to the painted cloth using a cloth spray can adhesive. A sample of Joann velvet didn't glue right. Duvetyne had no problem.

Also unlike velvet, heavyweight duvetyne will completly block out light. Sure it's not pretty but gets the job done.

Last edited by Debonaire; 08-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I do plan on building my own screen eventually but wanna fix some things first for ex: control ambient light (walls are beige) and figure out where I'm gonna mount the Projector. I'm shooting for either 120 or 135"
How many yards to test 120" and which Roc-lon blackout cloth(there's 7 different types) ?
Thanks in advance.
Roc-lon BOC only comes in 58". It's barely enough for a 96"x54" 110" screen and is a real pain to stretch that far.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Roc-lon BOC only comes in 58". It's barely enough for a 96"x54" 110" screen and is a real pain to stretch that far.
Sounds like I shouldn't bother and just shine on my wall to determine what size I want and build from that decision.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like I shouldn't bother and just shine on my wall to determine what size I want and build from that decision.
I second these statements.
I made a 110" BOC screen with the intention of painting it and then life got in the way and i havent had a chance.
But I can confirm that stretching the BOC to that frame size and stapling made for some sore hands.

Just from creeping the DIY forum I usually see MississippiMan reccommending Flexiwhite from carls place with two of the main reasons being that it stretches more and you can get it in larger sizes than standard BOC.....and it accepts paint better than BOC if you go that route....so three main reasons really.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Douce

post #12 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douce33 View Post
I second these statements.
I made a 110" BOC screen with the intention of painting it and then life got in the way and i havent had a chance.
But I can confirm that stretching the BOC to that frame size and stapling made for some sore hands.

Just from creeping the DIY forum I usually see MississippiMan reccommending Flexiwhite from carls place with two of the main reasons being that it stretches more and you can get it in larger sizes than standard BOC.....and it accepts paint better than BOC if you go that route....so three main reasons really.

Just my two cents.
for someone looking to just make a pair of hideaway curtains for the sidewalls that would cover about 3' out from the screen when in use, what's my best bet? when not it use, they'll slide back next to the side of the screen in the false wall cavity but was hoping to have something that can be pulled out when I wanted to knock down the sidewall reflections for the first 3-4' out from the screen when I want it really dark for movies
post #13 of 18 Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
for someone looking to just make a pair of hideaway curtains for the sidewalls that would cover about 3' out from the screen when in use, what's my best bet?
A Dark Plus Velvet, either Black, Deep Blue, Gray, or Deep Flat Red would be ideally suited as it would look splendid, absorb and mask reflections, and at $7.5o yd, be pretty inexpensive.

It could be flocked with a Liner, or left as is, and operate on a simple Travis Rod or Sewn Channel / Rod set-up. http://www.syfabrics.com/Browse.aspx...ple-Velvet/264

Lots of other Fabrics on the SY site as well.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #14 of 18 Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
A Dark Plus Velvet, either Black, Deep Blue, Gray, or Deep Flat Red would be ideally suited as it would look splendid, absorb and mask reflections, and at $7.5o yd, be pretty inexpensive.

It could be flocked with a Liner, or left as is, and operate on a simple Travis Rod or Sewn Channel / Rod set-up. http://www.syfabrics.com/Browse.aspx...ple-Velvet/264

Lots of other Fabrics on the SY site as well.
the walls in my theater are a gray already (SW Repose Gray if I recall) so that intrigues me.. but I'm not seeing any gray triple plush velvet at the SY site? am I missing something obvious?
post #15 of 18 Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
the walls in my theater are a gray already (SW Repose Gray if I recall) so that intrigues me.. but I'm not seeing any gray triple plush velvet at the SY site? am I missing something obvious?
Not in "Triple" but there is these: ( one @ 2x$ )

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/U...elvet/2475/370

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/1...elvet/4767/449

With Gray walls, a deep Red Velvet would look splendid. IMO

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/686/264
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/U...elvet/2475/370

....or a Deep Blue.

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/687/264
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/408/323

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Is that an in-store advertisement through this weekend? Their website has a 60% off coupon for instore and online, but good only through today. Just wondering if I need to stop by tonight or not.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minertwofour View Post
Is that an in-store advertisement through this weekend? Their website has a 60% off coupon for instore and online, but good only through today. Just wondering if I need to stop by tonight or not.
My mistake. The 30% coupon goes through Saturday, but the 60% ends today. I would go tonight. I am about 80% done using the Royalty 3 Velvet around my screen and I think it looks damn good. I'm not regretting it at all.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went tonight, couldn't find the Royalty 3, so bought the Premier instead. $11.19/yd instead of $28
Reply DIY Screen Section