• 1 Post By kevydee
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Is there a decent rollable paint-on diffuser?

I did a quick search so I might've missed it, but are there any good "paint" solutions that work as a diffuser and can be rolled on just like paint?

Maybe, for example something that could be applied to glass (not rolled in this case most likely, but in a different one having the possibility is good) to make a rear-projection surface?

I'm really hoping to find something easily obtained that can be applied in increasing numbers of coats to increase/decrease the amount of diffusion depending on needs.

Is there a simple fogged/translucent paint that can be watered down?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think I'm going to try this as a diffuser when I get all of my materials together. It may be what you are looking for.
Ftoast likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, that looks perfect.
I wonder what the best way if thinning it down (for less diffusion) would be without making it too runny to roll-on. Any ideas?

If this works well enough (and if a matte diffuse layer hides roller-marks) it should be easy for anyone within distance of a major hardware store to make a fairly powerful 90"-95" light-fighting screen for $40-50, no mess, no skill and only a few minutes of simple work.

Give it a boarder and paint the other side white and you can flip it for lights-out use.

If nothing else that linked medium looks great for rear-projection and can even be easily removed from glass!

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If one chooses to ignore the need for optical clarity, to some extent the above linked item will work. However Frostings do not have such optical qualities. They mute light by creating a degree of opacity, and a matte medium will obscure, or rather degrade an image if it is the topmost layer and not impregnated with a true reflective medium. If applied thinly enough to let sufficient light reach a rear reflector, it won't make any difference save introduce a blurring effect. Then there is the trick of applying it evenly enough so as to not see banding,,,,itself virtually impossible to do.

Matte Polyurethane, Clear Matte paints, it all been tried before and the results ....poor as they were, were published here. I don't discourage anyone experimenting, but I will warn people who do not have the knowledge of what has transpired in the past about going down roads that have dead ends.

Even with that, forging ahead can be an experience of some worth, and if somehow the seeming roadblock is removed, then I'd be among the first to applaud. But so far, the only materials that can come close are optically pure Mfg sheets, and that alone has posed issues in both size and cost.
Ftoast likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well..crap. I was afraid of that.

If it turns out cheap enough to be painless I'll still give it a shot for the sake of seeing/experiencing it in person. Hopefully it'll result more in "meh" rather than rage and disgust, especially going in forewarned of very likely bad results.

I've heard of paints (higher-end wall paint) that are self-smoothing to some degree. Anyone have any experience or theories of how that works and/or might be applicable for a smoother, more level rolled top-coat?

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page