DIY Advice Screen Size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question DIY Advice Screen Size

I am just getting into setting up my own home theater with a new projector I bought. Naturally, I'm trying to save some money by doing it myself.

Useful info:
Acer H6510BD ~ 3000 ANSI Lumens
13' throw distance in the room
No windows

Naturally I want as big a screen as possible because I will be moving into a bigger living room in the future. I want to allow for having a longer throw distance in the future without changing the screen. Here is what I was thinking for material and size (I used this nifty calculator http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H6510BD-projection-calculator-pro.htm)

Carl's ProGray Projector screen material (71"x126") 144" Diagonal

Will this be too large of a screen for such a short throw distance?
Will I be able to notice the difference between gray and white screen material in low ambient light settings?

I am primarily concerned about the darkness of darker colors and would like to maximize performance (as I'm sure everyone does). I'm renting so I can't modify the wall or I would paint it. I've read a few threads and it seems some people buy the material before asking questions, which I am trying to avoid, so any advice you can offer would be awesome!

Also any articles or threads you can offer that show an example of using the ProGray material (if that is my best choice) would be much appreciated as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
My experience with Pro Gray is that it has too much Texture, and too little gain. It also is not nearly as easy to work with. And it cost more while delivering too little.

For a Large Screen in such a room w/no Windows, I would suggest building a Flexi-White Screen and using it until such time as you move, then paint upon it the desired shade of DIY paint that would be ideally suited for your new location

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page