Starting back over and looking for advice on AT Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old Today, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Starting back over and looking for advice on AT Screen

Hey, guys. I've recently decided to overhaul my HT and am going to be using a baffle wall, which means my current screen is being removed in lieu of an AT screen. Which then gives me an excuse to finally get a new PJ.

I am shopping AT material for about 110-120" screen size, from a Sony VPL-HW40ES approximately 12ft from the baffle wall I'll be building. Seating distance approximately 11ft from the screen. The room is completely light controlled with dark walls/ceiling (not black; but dark brown). The wall will be treated with acoustic material with the intent to absorb frequencies primarily above where these fabrics seem to show their impact on comb filtering (ie; >2khz).

Before reading the Spandex thread data, I was shopping the typical avenues like Seymour XD vs UF. After reading the aforementioned thread, I've determined the milliskin material is the way to go. My question comes in with regards to layering and colors. From the reading I've done, the Sony has relatively high brightness while also having excellent contrast (blacks not as good as a JVC, but I can't afford that anyway). So, it seems I could possibly be fine with a single layer of white milliskin; attaining a nice gain, not totally decrementing blacks, and have minimal impact on sound quality. BUT, obviously I don't know...

So with all that said, can someone who has experience in this area provide me with some guidance on milliskin screen options (ie; layering, color) for my application? It would be much appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page