Arghh, I've read myself into a hole. Please help - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Arghh, I've read myself into a hole. Please help

Hi All,
First off, this forum is amazing. Thank you all for the testing, measuring and empiric data. I've spent the better part of two days reading and rereading posts about building my own screen and now I am confused.

Let me describe my project and I would then love input on the screen

I have a BenQ HT1075, In wall speakers that I spent last weekend installing and dropping wire. (My attic is a hell hole)

Projector is 10 feet from screen,
Seating is 9 feet from screen
Room is 11 Feet deep and 14 feet wide

Planning on a 1.78 88" inch screen (feel free to tell my why I am wrong)

I have moderate to strong light control in the room

After much reading I was going to get 3 yards of Moleskin Matte (Silver) from spandex world and build myself a one layer AT screen as I figured the silver would be good for my black levels since I have plenty of foot lamberts to play with.

Should I do two layers? If so, of what? Is my screen size reasonable? Should I be thinking about anything else?

Thank you so much for the advice.

Sincerely,
Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Unread Today, 01:41 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Zedpol,

You should avoid the Moleskin and get Milliskin. Moleskin has a more noticeable texture and is less effective "AT" wise.

Also, 2 layers is best, in your case Silver over White or White over Black. Two layers prevents excessive light "pass through", It is the standard norm, and the tests done show two layers are every bit as "AT" as single layer Mfg versions.

With a 10' throw you can have a screen size between 96" and 116" diagonal. (92" minimum) Viewing from 9' I would suggest 110" diagonal. Perhaps 98" diagonal at the least.

Not sure why you want such a small sized screen, so you need to clarify the reasons for such.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 6 Unread Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpol View Post
Hi All,
First off, this forum is amazing. Thank you all for the testing, measuring and empiric data. I've spent the better part of two days reading and rereading posts about building my own screen and now I am confused.

Let me describe my project and I would then love input on the screen

I have a BenQ HT1075, In wall speakers that I spent last weekend installing and dropping wire. (My attic is a hell hole)

Projector is 10 feet from screen,
Seating is 9 feet from screen
Room is 11 Feet deep and 14 feet wide

Planning on a 1.78 88" inch screen (feel free to tell my why I am wrong)

I have moderate to strong light control in the room

After much reading I was going to get 3 yards of Moleskin Matte (Silver) from spandex world and build myself a one layer AT screen as I figured the silver would be good for my black levels since I have plenty of foot lamberts to play with.

Should I do two layers? If so, of what? Is my screen size reasonable? Should I be thinking about anything else?

Thank you so much for the advice.

Sincerely,
Z
You don't say what your main viewing will be on this screen. Movies, TV, gaming ? Although there are people who prefer a relatively small screen for gaming or TV, I would suggest going as large as possible so you have it for scope movie watching. If you want it smaller for some content like a particular game, the zoom lever on the 1075 will get you as small as 92" but not 88". Building a spandex screen, you can make it any custom size, so my advice would be to go 115" white over black miliskin. I sit about 10' from my 122" screen with my 1070 and will soon go larger.

I think you will adjust to 115" very quickly -- it is common for people who have only used TV screens to think in terms of those screen sizes rather than think about how large an actual cinema screen is compared to where they sit when they go to a movie.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #4 of 6 Unread Today, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear. THe 88inches is a width for a diagonal of 100 inches. I'll bump that up a little bit but I got that size based off the THX calculator for screen size vs distance. I'll be using this mostly for movie watching.

I'm guessing people are buying the matte milliskin?
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 04:11 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpol View Post
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear. THe 88inches is a width for a diagonal of 100 inches. I'll bump that up a little bit but I got that size based off the THX calculator for screen size vs distance. I'll be using this mostly for movie watching.

I'm guessing people are buying the matte milliskin?
Bluntly stated, the THX Calculator is outdated, and does not accurately reflect the viewing distances that today's 1080p HD & 4K PJs combined with good screens can allow.

I still believe my 110" diagonal (96" x 54") is right on the money seeing that you stated a viewing distance of 9' (108") and the screen is 8' wide.

Yes. Matte Milliskin all the way.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Bluntly stated, the THX Calculator is outdated, and does not accurately reflect the viewing distances that today's 1080p HD & 4K PJs combined with good screens can allow.

I still believe my 110" diagonal (96" x 54") is right on the money seeing that you stated a viewing distance of 9' (108") and the screen is 8' wide.

Yes. Matte Milliskin all the way.

Sounds good, I'll adjust and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section