Looking for screen and mounting recommendations for first projector - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for screen and mounting recommendations for first projector

I purchased a Benq w1070 yesterday. It's my first projector and will have to do for a couple years until I can ultimately buy my dream projector - a JVC. I originally planned to make a sliding DIY mount as a poor-man's hack for CIH and build an AT screen, using Seymour Center Stage XD, since you can have them pre-install grommets.

Unfortunately I don't have time to build a sliding ceiling mount or even a DIY frame for an AT screen. What can I buy right now that's fast & easy (and cheap) to get a working system. I absolutely love building things but I have 3 kids, 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 turtle, plus I'm in the middle of a subwoofer project. I saw MississippiMan mention Carl's Place. Those kits look like they can be assembled in a couple hours - almost seems like cheating.

Here's my setup:

- Benq w1070 - mostly scope movies, some 16:9 moves, Game of Thrones.
- Seating distance flexible
- No 4k
- Yes on 3D
- Small to midsize screen is fine (obviously the bigger the better). I'm coming from a 46 Panasonic plasma, so a even small screen will be a huge shock to the family, and also give me something to look forward to when we later get a JVC with an truly huge screen.
- Either mount screen directly on wall (french cleats for easy storage?) or if AT, hang from ceiling and store when not in use. We typically watch movies/tv two weekends a month so storing the screen is no burden. I prefer AT but right now I prefer fast -n- easy even more.
- 8 foot ceiling - what's fastest and easiest way to mount?
- I'd like to have detachable magnetic black panels on the screen edge to increase contract. I can work on this later.

I plan to do the following for light control, as this won't take much time:

- Blackout curtains over windows
- We have a big black comforter to lay in front of screen during movie time, although our carpet is sorta dark already.
- Willing to cover ceiling in front of projector with black fabric. I've got a bunch of neodymium magnets that should work nicely.
- As I get time I'll add black drapes to cover the white walls

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by genesplitter; Today at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Because you mention modest size not being a problem as well as having flexible seating-distance and a preference for an Acoustic-Transparent screen, would a plain 4sides wooden (poplar) and no middle, stapled spandex DIY screen be fast enough to find time for?

I believe AVSmember TangledCable made a 100"-110" AcousticTransparent screen this way and seemed very happy with it.
Might be an alternative to Carl's stuff anyway..if you need an alternative.

Also, I just want to say that it's great to hear how much dedication you have for darkening and treating that room despite it being a lighter use scenario than some. It should provide better video than some much more expensive dedicated rooms...great to see people unafraid of black and willing to darken the ceiling.
The dark throw on the floor made me chuckle; you'd be surprised how many folks looking at more expensive projectors aren't even willing to put down a dark rug in front of the screen.
A humble w1070 in a dark-treated room will get better contrast than a JVC in a white room. A JVC in a dark-treated room will be at its best.
When you find the budget, you'll already be prepared for it!

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 05:16 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Since I notice you specifically stated "I don't have time to build a DIY Frame" I'll not suggest such.

And since all DIY AT screens require a Frame of some type be built, we will dismiss the AT option outright for now.

What I would like to have you consider is that now might be the time to go as big as you would / should for the Future, and therein spend a little bit more now for a Screen and get some real taste of what lies in store for the future.

Two schools of thought in this:

Any of the Carl's "Screen Kits" are more geared toward Outdoor Use, and involve using special Bungee-like straps. And they still involve some investment.

Since you mentioned "storing away when not in use" this is the best possible option that amounts to being sizable enough for "wow factor release yet inexpensive enough to discard later.
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-100-inch-.../dp/B0017S37IG

Or for a Fixed Screen version:
http://www.amazon.com/STR-169100-Sil.../dp/B00HZRM9K0

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page