Perle Noire black screen. Test made with hd141x - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ger75
  • 2 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By Hank
post #1 of 13 Old 07-27-2015, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Perle Noire black screen. Test made with hd141x

Black screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8906.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	854738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8905.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	854746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8884.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	854754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8907.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	854762  
HCORE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger75 View Post
Black screen
How is this Screen any different from your previous Threads and multiple posts of the "product" that you recently stated your wanting "Investors or Partners" to help you sell it via YouTube?

Just changing the name doesn't amount to changing anything.
Why is it even up if your not planning on listing your ingredients?

If your planning to do so, but are only in testing, certainly that is OK, great in fact....but if so explain it so others can get enthusiastic......or just furgitabowdit.

It would be great for members to have another DIY option to chose from...not so much if all this amounts to being is a free advertising venue for you.
imbloodyskint and HCORE like this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 13 Old 07-28-2015, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
How is this Screen any different from your previous Threads and multiple posts of the "product" that you recently stated your wanting "Investors or Partners" to help you sell it via YouTube?

Just changing the name doesn't amount to changing anything.
Why is it even up if your not planning on listing your ingredients?

If your planning to do so, but are only in testing, certainly that is OK, great in fact....but if so explain it so others can get enthusiastic......or just furgitabowdit.

It would be great for members to have another DIY option to chose from...not so much if all this amounts to being is a free advertising venue for you.
The same i can say for other screens.. you have to try it.. the only way

this is for more info..
post #4 of 13 Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
ger75, you did not answer MM's questions or address his points - you evaded them.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm painting a new screen soon. Post the recipe and I'll try it out on a sample board.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #6 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Yep, he will post the formula any minute now...
post #7 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Yep, he will post the formula any minute now...
Are you sure ? It's been hours ... /s

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #8 of 13 Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Are you sure ? It's been hours ... /s
BWAHAHAAHA!! I wonder if this forum can hold the record for highest number of scams, wherein someone enters, talks about DIY screen success, posts photos (many not very definitive), gathers input from real DIY members, improves the formula, posts more photos and finally declares success, then disappears (without revealing recipes and methods) to start selling a commercial product. How many on this one thread - three? When someone won't reveal recipes/materials early on in a series of posts, that is now a huge red flag to me.
Movie78 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Perle Noire 2.0: Coming Soon under a new username!

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #10 of 13 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Well it's really all about being straight up honest from the get go.

Painting a Screen with screen paint made from various available components is the epitome of DIY Screen making...if a formula for such is to be shared. Although in the past the use of Mfg screen materials was excluded, the hue and cry by so many wanting to include Mfg AT material (Phifer Shearweave-etc.) made that particular application be more or less accepted. The same goes for various products from Carl's Place...although a conscious effort to focus primarily on re-coating such material has been the general rule.

People build frames....and stretch fabric to create screens, so they want to be included in the DIY genre. Many do in fact need help, and that's not really going to come from the Fellows on the "Screens Forum"...so yeah, a grudging acceptance has gradually turned into a normal state of affairs, and in truth, this Forum is the better for it.

However.....when someone's intent from the very start is to use this Forum for sounding out the viability of any product they want to sell...and it's something that can be "made" by virtually anyone with a bent to do so, then that is crossing a line that was drawn long ago. Add to that purposefully continuing to promote such by posting the same content in many other threads, and it becomes unconscionable.

Turning it around to another example...me, almost 14 years ago I started making DIY Screen applications and fully sharing them. Then came Black Flame and the decision to patent that proprietary formula. But also, a "almost" identical DIY version under a different name (Silver Fire) was brought forth and shared. When for a brief while Black Flame was available for sale by another party, (...but NEVER promoted or linked to on any AVS thread...) the issues created by doing so caused it to be withdrawn from availability, (2006) and that was that. Frankly...it was at my insistence that happen, because I did not want the stigma of being seen as trying to play both directions on the Field...even if I was realizing no income from such. Such is the feeling of wanting to maintain a true DIY mentality. Some doubted that sincerity, wondering why one would deny one's self of a obvious source of cash flow? Go figure?

And recently, I revealed a 3rd Party's upcoming "ready to go" Black Screen material that virtually any DIY'er will be able to purchase to create their own ALR Screen, and avoid all the "what ifs" involved with trying to get there the long way around. I also told of a fully OTB version of such a Screen that would be coming....but that's it. Straight talk...no links...comments about how the actual materials were proprietary...just enough info imparted so people would know, not guess or wonder when/will it/why not.? And most important, they will be both AVS Forum Advertisers and Forum Sponsors. Legitimacy counts for much.

(.....but even with all that, I still was asked if the materials used would be revealed. DIY'ers are nothing if not persistent... )

But how much more doubtful is it when someone posts actual links to YouTube videos that when viewed also have a link to a EBay sales listing? That goes beyond doubt to being a direct violation of this Forum's rules. And brook no mistake, I did PM'd ger75 twice and very politely tried to reason with him to go about what he was wanting to do in a different, not "rules abusive" manner. Please don't mistake my input to him privately as being a "Police Action"....I simply suggested to him to take his info over the "Screens" where no one could hold him accountable (...except perhaps the AVS hierarchy...) if all he did was post YouTube links. If he was going to mention "sales" on his Thread or in any post, he needed to ante up and become a Forum Sponsor and then he'd get far more exposure, and have the blessings of the Forum to boot.

His only response was this thread, and a continuance of the same ol' same ol'.

So there it is. It's up to everyone to handle it as they see fit. Posting here about the injustice of it all only keeps the Thread at the top of the Thread listings. Not doing so denies the OP of his venue. (..I don't think he will be posting again anyway...) Short of reporting the Thread itself, that is the most sensible course to take.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #11 of 13 Old Today, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

ok.. to be honest.. i cant write the formula because its very difficult to reach. But i can tell how to make a slightly curved screen ( the diference from the center to the angles will be only 10 cm) to have the best results with this screen for only 50 $ . The screen is washable and very resistant. i suppose i cant write more here because of the restrictions of the forum. Ill try to become a premium member and post it in a different area of the forum. Thx to everyone
post #12 of 13 Old Today, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger75 View Post
ok.. to be honest.. i cant write the formula because its very difficult to reach. But i can tell how to make a slightly curved screen for only $50. I suppose i cant write more here because of the restrictions of the forum. Ill try to become a premium member and post it in a different area of the forum.
A difficult formula is still very easy to write.
I once instructed others how to create the best screen ever by sprinkling pixie dust into the 12different paints and stirring with a unicorn horn..mix was impossible, writing it was cake. (no pixies or unicorns were harmed in this fallacious mix ..to be honest)

You CAN explain a method for building a curved screen here..in fact, this is the proper forum section to do just that!

I don't believe premium members have any additional rights for selling products on AVS, I think you need to become an offical advertiser/sponsor AND post in the proper sections.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; Today at 04:01 AM.
post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
A difficult formula is still very easy to write.

+1 Absolutely, IF he wanted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page