AVS Forum banner

First DIY Attempt Viewsonic PJD7820HD advice

680 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bud16415 
#1 ·
I just got my first PJ on a Black Friday sale, and I am interested in doing a DIY screen. This will be in a living room area with hunter green walls and medium ambient light. I would like to have at least a 100" screen on the wall.

After reading through the forum, I am fascinated by all the different options for paint mixtures, substrate materials, and masking options. But this is an overwhelming amount of information. I am not a particularly experienced painter, but I have used both a roller and a sprayer before, and I feel fairly confident in my ability to attach fabric, laminate, or mdf to a frame.

I am just looking for a good balanced combination strategy of thrift, ease, and quality to match my situation. I believe I could spend weeks scouring this forum trying to extract this information, or I could just ask.

I have attached a picture of the wall I intend to put the screen on.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
chaosphere23,

Welcome to AVS's DIY Screens Forum!

Yours is simple request, if that wall is in good shape (smooth w/no defects)

First prime that area using Behr 1750 Ultra Pure White Flat. If your good with a Roller, and use a 3/8" Nap high quality Roller Cover, 2 coats will suffice, with a light very sanding after the second coat using a Fine Grit Sanding sponge.

The you can give James of AZ's Black Pearl a try, using a HVLP sprayer and applying the paint in several Duster Coatings (6-7 minimum )
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...r-grey-screen-mix-epson-3600e.html?highlight=

The Viewsonic with torch a 100" diagonal image onto the wall from a 9' throw so the darker shade of the AZ Pearl with do nicely. Just switch on "View Match" and switch off the Brilliant Color option for a balanced colored image when watching Movies in the dark, or leave it on during the day for Movies & TV.

Positioning that PJ on a Ceiling requires that the Center of the Lens be 6" down into the screen area from the top edge of the screen, or vice versa from the bottom edge if Table mounted. You do not want to employ much if indeed any Keystone so as to avoid loss of resolution.

Relate as to what Spray gun system you have (HVLP?) or have used before, or ask for a suggestion.

We'll go on from there.

#3 ·
I have only used a conventional paint sprayer, and that was several years ago for a job I had in college. I might do better with a roller.

Another point I neglected to mention,the primary use for this screen will be gaming, with a fair amount of movie viewing and minimal tv. Does that make a big difference in which screen paint to use If the main use is gaming?

#4 ·
I have only used a conventional paint sprayer, and that was several years ago for a job I had in college. I might do better with a roller.

Another point I neglected to mention,the primary use for this screen will be gaming, with a fair amount of movie viewing and minimal tv. Does that make a big difference in which screen paint to use If the main use is gaming?
Well...the most important aspect of Gaming lies in the Viewsonic's most excellent Lag Time (-17 ms)

Beyond that, @ 1080p resolution, the image quality will be greatly dependent upon the smoothness of the surface, Using Flat Paints and a good rolling touch, you can be assured of a streak free, roller mark free surface. Mostly.

I say "mostly" because it will indeed be up to your own dictates and abilities to make the Screen / Wall surface measure up worthy of the projected image.

Now if one wanted to abstain from being concerned with smoothing the wall, priming...as well as the risks involved with rolling on the painting a chosen paint...all of which carry their own potential to be part of a "problem", then you would do the following for virtually assured results,

• Purchase a sheet of 4' x 8' x 6mm White Sintra/Komatex and have the Jobber pre-cut it to 85" x 48" (98" diagonal)
  • Glue it directly onto the wall "AFTER" having hung the PJ and marking the perimeter of the image.
  • Spend for an inexpensive Electric HVLP sprayer and spray on the paint of choice.

If you want an image that doesn't look like an image projected onto a surface, but rather a "clear window" into a different reality, heed the advice above.

Or...do an absolutely perfect job of prepping, priming, smooth sanding, and rolling on the same paint.

Good luck with whatever fits neatly into your DIY comfort zone.

BTW....knowing that Gaming is the primary use, I would have suggested instead a 1080p Short Throw so you could get all the way up to 3.5' - 4' from the screen without cutting into the image. Makes for the best possible 1st person Shooter and Car / Tank Gaming experience imaginable...IMO.http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT1080.htm

#5 ·
Congrats on the Viewsonic. It was on my short list as well and I ended up with the little brother the Viewsonic PJD5555W the specs and the room application are very similar to mine the only real difference is the resolution. I’m shooting to a 106” 110” screen so we are close in screen size and looking at your photo I could see you getting bigger than the 100” once you watch a few scope movies. You have a little more zoom and a bit shorter throw. Mine is 860 color lumens yours 830, mine 3200 white lumens yours 3000. adjusting for my projector being 16:10 and yours 16:9 the lumens or rather Foot Lamberts would be nearly the same. Our room are a little different mine is a bit more light controlled and I have a black ceiling but I also have a desire to run the projector with some lights on so there is a good chance a good deal of the time our room lighting would be comparable. I started two threads that might help you with coming up with a screen paint and explaining the type of viewing I do and how I manage the different modes these non RGB projectors use.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...2-projector-question-per-diy-screen-benq.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...5555w-man-cave-theater-unofficial-thread.html

I roller painted the whole wall and I’m free to change size and location when I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.