7Likes

post #1 of 98 Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Easy FolkArt ALR Paintmix

Here are some photos of a 98" FolkArt Gunmetal Grey screen.

It looks pretty good in a non-ideal room with a lot of reflective and light-colored surfaces.

It works alright with a few lights on.

It can also perform decently during the day.

This used:
$14 worth of matte poly
$10 worth of FolkArt GunmetalGrey metallic
A little water
These were mixed in a 1:1:1 ratio (about 10oz FolkArt metallic, 10oz matte poly and 10oz water)
A $40-$50 paint sprayer (Wagner Opti-Stain)

It was sprayed onto a ~$10 sheet of ThriftyWhite supported around the back by wood-gluing a few 1x3 poplar boards and made into a very straightforward ZeroEdge style "black" screen.

A screen this dark-colored doesn't always need a ton of projector horsepower hitting it to show a decent image.
I'm using a ~400lm portable (REAL full-color lumen...not exaggerated manufacturer specs). That's less than 14ftL hitting that screen.

Here are a few comparisons:
That "lighter-colored" sample at bottom/left is CarlsALR...this mix is significantly darker-colored.
For reference, CarlsALR is a similar shade as the CineGrey3D and 5D, the Stewart FirehawkG4, the premade BlackFlame/BFX1 ALR paint and the 8:1GreyTabby DIY mix.
This paint should be more on-par with the DarkEnergyAbyss and StewartPhantomHALR (if anyone is willing to pass on a screen sample of DEA or HALR they are no longer using, feel free to PM me with details)

The samples are (left to right) CarlsALR, Pro-Grey and Pro-White.
The ~150lumen projector is shooting a 6ft-wide image onto a ~0.9gain panel which means about 7ftL is all there is to help the screen fight the lights and lamp.

FolkArt metallic has some EXCELLENT properties:
It's available practically everywhere; Joanne's, Walmart, Amazon..even outside of the USA.
It works amazingly well sprayed, even with my cheapo ($40-$50) Wagner Opti-Stain sprayer, going on smooth and fast with much less visible sagging than other paints and less pitting/bubbling than others.
Because a lot of its pure-state gain seems to be acheived via gloss rather than a lot of metallic/mica, it works best when mixed with a matte-clear (like untinted deep-base) or matte-poly (water-based) which can matte away some of the excessive gloss without concealing the metallic/mica as much as regular paint tends to.

A 1:1 mix of FolkArt metallic "GunmetalGrey" and water-based matte Polyurethane (thinned with about 25%-33% water) works great.
Best of all, despite being one of the darkest-colored mixes I've seen AND hitting around 0.9gain on-axis, it is also VERY clean and smooth-looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161013_204933.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1714657  

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-06-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some more details:
aaaand a video showing the Wagner Opti-Stain assembly, mixing, spraying, drying and cleaning..complete with several screw-ups that still led to a nice panel because the mix is so forgiving to spray.

My favorite version of this mix is using 10oz FolkArt metallic "GunmetalGrey" mixed with 10oz water-based matte polyurethane and thinned with 8oz-10oz water.

0.75ounces of mix per square-foot of screen is plenty.
For example, a 110" 16:9 screen is 36 square-feet and will require about 27oz of this mix (9oz-FolkArt metallic GunmetalGrey, 9oz-WaterBased matte poly, and 9oz-water) meaning you'd need 5 of the 2oz tubes of FolkArt and a quart can of the poly...about $25.

-I suggest straining your mix before putting it into the sprayer.
IF you try this mix and end up with a glob, let it all dry and then lightly pick the glob off (or gently sand it smooth in that tiny area) and either give the area a couple quick/light sprays of paint (start the gun spraying while aiming off to the side away from the screen and then turn toward the screen near the spot, pass across the area and then turn away from the screen again and let go of the trigger) OR give the screen another light coat.
Simply pouring the mix through a paint strainer can let you avoid all of that.

-FolkArt Gunmetal Grey metallic works well for fighting lights, but Sterling and/or Pearl metallic can be used or added to lighten the screen-color if you prefer a less aggressive screen.
There are four different color options with the FolkArt metallic which can be used alone or mixed together to create shades in between those four; "Pearl White", "Sterling Silver"-light grey, "Gunmetal Grey"-very dark grey, and "Sequin Black".
Once mixed with some poly or base the Pearl and Sterling and Gunmetal all appear to be able to reach roughly 0.9gain or higher (the lighter shades can hit closer to 1.0 or above), but the SequinBlack seems to be much lower gain even at ratios that start to hotspot..so the other three will be the ones to focus on for all but the brightest projectors and smaller screen combinations.
For reference:
-Pearl mixed with poly can hit around 1.4gain with an off-white/light-grey surface that's lighter than Pro-grey.
-SterlingSilver with poly can hit around 1.1+gain with a surface that's slightly darker than Pro-grey.
-A 1:1mix of Pearl and Gunmetal with poly can hit around 1.0+gain with a surface that's about the same color as Carl'sALR and a decent ways darker-colored than Pro-grey.
-A 1:1mix of SterlingSilver and Gunmetal with poly lands around 1.0gain with a surface that's slightly darker-colored than CarlsALR.

-Mixing the FolkArt metallic half and half (1:1) with matte water-based polyurethane keeps metallic gain high while getting rid of the hot-spotting glossy finish.
Used alone the FolkArt metallics have a glossy finish which can easily hotspot, but mixing them with water-based poly or untinted flat/matte deep-base works great for keeping the metallic's gain as high as possible while matte-ing away the gloss.
Water-based matte-poly dries faster and smoother, but flat/matte untinted deep-base can work too if you can't locate a water-based matte poly...BUT the deep-base may require more coats applied very thinly to achieve the smooth and clean look of the matte-poly.
A 1:1 mix seems to be ideal as a 2:1mix (using more metallic) doesn't seem to add much gain/brightness and a 3:1mix (even more metallic) starts to show a somewhat glossy sheen that may hotspot with some projectors.

-Thinning FolkArt+poly/deep-base mixes with 25%-33% water is what I recommend for spraying.
I've had good results thinning these mixes with half as much water (33% water), it also looks like lowering as far down as a 3:1mix of paintmix to water (25% water) works alright.though I don't think I'll be going any thicker than that since texture can begin to appear.
Likewise, going higher than 30%-33%water makes "sagging"(slight runs just barely starting) a danger that can easily leave the screen with a bunch of tiny dark spots all over...it almost looks like mold spots.

-Painting onto a smooth, white or light-grey surface is likely the safest choice.
While painting onto a darker surface can speed up your color-coverage (thin spots still show as the same dark color instead of looking thinner/pale), a thin spit can end up with lower gain where the picture will look more noisy from a speckled area of high and low gain. On a lighter-colored surface a speckled thinner spot may look a bit freckled with bright lights hitting the screen when the projector is off, but the projected image will stay more uniformly bright and stay cleaner.
Having about 0.75oz of mix per square-foot of screen area and applying 4+ light coats or dusters can make sure the screen is fully filled in so that gain remains high and uniform and color fills out evenly without visible thin spots.

A write-up to go along with the video above..

I put the ingredients together in a measuring cup and stirred with a spoon by hand..nothing fancy.
In a warm and dry space it can be sprayed on in three or more very light coats (a cooler or more humid space is safer with several lighter/faster duster-coats). I used the Wagner Opti-Stain with its trigger-guard set 4full rotations out from the trigger (about halfway out). The gun was about 10-12inches from the surface, sprayed left-to-right at roughly 1.5ft/second, dropping a few inches lower while offscreen and then right-to-left overlapping the previous row and hitting below it, dropped a few inches offscreen and then left-to-right..and so on.
Using a blow-dryer or space-heater is great for speeding the drying and making sure the screen looks its best..a fan is better than nothing.
Two or three very thin coats can look pretty decent (they go on looking speckled, but smooth out surprisingly well as they dry), but adding a fourth or fifth coat just to be sure won't hurt (you can also choose to spray your screen using several thinner duster-coats if you prefer..either way works).
Multiple coats using a blowdryer or spaceheater to speed drying are easy because you don't need to clean the gun between coats (just wipe the gun's tip with a finger after it stops running between coats). Don't forget to fully clean the sprayer after all the coats are done.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-02-2016 at 08:07 AM.
post #3 of 98 Old 10-11-2016, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some pictures and comparisons:

70" television near a 98" Gunmetal+poly screen..using a ~400lumen projector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Is that backdrop a flat grey ? Any flat whites for comparison of that claimed 0.9-1.0 gain figure ? It is impressively dark in room light and bright in comparison to the backdrop, but no white ?
Yes the backdrop is flat-grey (around N7.5 or 0.5gain).

HOW DARE YOU and...and other stuff.
Good point, that was a bit lacking.

First, a lights-on, far off-axis shot to show the sample locations..ProGrey on the left, 1:1FA-gunmetal+poly in the middle, ProWhite on the right and the same ~N7.5 backdrop.

Lights are off for all other on/off-axis shots.
0degrees on-axis: Almost as bright as the 1.0-1.1(claimed)ProWhite.

10degrees off-axis:
Here it's dimmed to roughly match the ProGrey sample's brightness.

15degrees off-axis:
Already starting to dim below the ProGrey.

30degrees off-axis:
By now it has fallen below the ~0.5gain neutral grey backdrop.

45degrees off-axis:

But fear not. Even though gain is obviously falling pretty fast on account of the mix's aggressive nature toward ambient light, that doesn't mean it can't take a bright and colorful image at the front..

..AND also show nearly equally bright and colorful screenshot from far off-axis.

Just wanted to show that ALR off-axis shots without a flat/matte comparison in the shot aren't really showing much at all.

The FA-gunmetal+poly sample is sitting on the box in front of a larger 2:1DeepOnyx panel. Farther to the right is CarlsALR and then ProGrey and finally ProWhite at the farthest right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20161011_155844.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1710537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_155240.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1710545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_155336.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1710553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_160611.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1710561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_160625.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1710569  

Name:	IMG_20161011_161125.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1710577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunmetal close-up.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1715313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunmetal sideways.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1715321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunmetal, CarlALR, ProGrey, ProWhite.jpg
Views:	4065
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1715345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Walking.jpg
Views:	3767
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	1739761  

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-01-2016 at 06:21 AM.

post #4 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Is that backdrop a flat grey ? Any flat whites for comparison of that claimed 0.9-1.0 gain figure ? It is impressively dark in room light and bright in comparison to the backdrop, but no white ?

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #5 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

reserved
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProGrey, FA+poly, ProWhite.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1711561   Click image for larger version

Name:	far off-axis, lights on.jpg
Views:	3929
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1711569   Click image for larger version

Name:	0degrees on-axis.jpg
Views:	3936
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1711577   Click image for larger version

Name:	10degrees off-axis.jpg
Views:	3933
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1711585   Click image for larger version

Name:	15degrees off-axis.jpg
Views:	3925
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1711593  

Name:	30degrees off-axis.jpg
Views:	3906
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1711601   Click image for larger version

Name:	45degrees off-axis.jpg
Views:	3898
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1711609   Click image for larger version

Name:	alone on-axis.jpg
Views:	4148
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1711617   Click image for larger version

Name:	alone far off-axis.jpg
Views:	4131
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1711625   Click image for larger version

Name:	a few.jpg
Views:	3881
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1711633  

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-17-2016 at 07:03 PM.
post #6 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone happen to remember if there's an Accutel measurement (or any other measurements) for Flexi-Grey/Pro-Grey?
Part of this mix's gain estimate is based on it being a decent ways brighter on-axis than ProGrey which claims to be a 0.8gain material I believe, but I'm wondering if ProGrey might be a little lower than that.

post #7 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Does anyone happen to remember if there's an Accutel measurement (or any other measurements) for Flexi-Grey/Pro-Grey?
Part of this mix's gain estimate is based on it being a decent ways brighter on-axis than ProGrey which claims to be a 0.8gain material I believe, but I'm wondering if ProGrey might be a little lower than that.
The Amazon page claims 0.8 but one of the reviewers claims 0.7 after direct comparison to multiple other samples. He doesn't claim to have measured with instrumentation, though, which means it is relative to other samples' mfg CLAIMS.
Ftoast likes this.

Kirk Ellis
post #8 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the backdrop is flat-grey (around N7.5 or 0.5gain).

HOW DARE YOU and...and other stuff.
Good point, that was a bit lacking.
Thanks for adding the white. Don't feel picked on, I complained to MM and AZ when they neglected white comparisons too. BTW, do you have a pony fetish ?

That last pic is grainy but it appears to be in room light ?

I've asked about the difference in off-axis viewers and side dimming before, but I am still confused about ALR paints in this respect. You place the small sample at 0 degrees to the projector lens and then take pictures from where viewers might be off to the sides. Is this the same result as if the sample was placed off to the side and the viewer is at 0 degrees ? I know you have taken some pictures with the projector just filling the panel, but it seems like there is such high FL at that point that side dimming is not really noticeable. Using just the small sample from Carl's against my 122" white screen, the effect of sample placement was hard to judge.

I tried to take a picture of my white field lamp uniformity issue last night with a mostly white freeze frame of a commercial on TV. The camera pushed blue that wasn't there and exaggerates the brightness difference for some reason, but it does show the sort of outside edge dimming I would expect from an ALR screen's outside edges when viewed at 0 degrees. Am I correct ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whitefield mirror.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1712609  

Kirk Ellis
post #9 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First, a lights-on, far off-axis shot to show the sample locations..ProGrey on the left, 1:1FA-gunmetal+poly in the middle, ProWhite on the right and the same ~N7.5 backdrop.
BTW, every time I see one of these comparisons I think "different occasions might need different screen surfaces". I had a brainstorm about how I could make a mounting for a reversible and flexible screen hinged at the top and pivoted at the sides to get four surfaces: 1) flat white flat screen for use in the dark with guests, 2) flat white curved screen for A-Lens use, 3) ALR flat screen, 4) ALR curved. If I ever get my construction finished in my new room and try to put my screen brainstorms into practice it will either be noteworthy or disaster.

Kirk Ellis
post #10 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for adding the white. Don't feel picked on, I complained to MM and AZ when they neglected white comparisons too. BTW, do you have a pony fetish ?
No problem, I feel a little dopey for neglecting that comparison in the first place despite asking for it from others myself.
I'm not big into anime so the ponies are almost always my go-to for animated content with large areas of bright, solid colors.

Quote:
That last pic is grainy but it appears to be in room light ?
Yes, that's with the overhead light turned all the way up. Sadly my old phone/camera decided to bite the dust a little while ago and I replaced it with an even cheaper model with a particularly lackluster camera.

Quote:
I've asked about the difference in off-axis viewers and side dimming before, but I am still confused about ALR paints in this respect. You place the small sample at 0 degrees to the projector lens and then take pictures from where viewers might be off to the sides. Is this the same result as if the sample was placed off to the side and the viewer is at 0 degrees ?
Yes, either should show the same amount of dimming as long as the angle from PJ-to-screen-to-viewer is the same..BUT using a centered sample while moving the camera/viewer location gives a more consistant result that's a little easier to measure because it isn't affected by throw-ratios or distance.
For example, my 45degree off-axis shots with a centered sample will be about the same as the sample placed at the far left/right edge of a screen with a centered viewer at 1:1distance:width and the projector at ideal height and 1.5:1 throw-ratio. While users with a longer throw-ratio or farther seating-distance (or both) will experience less edge dimming.

If I instead showed pictures of my edge-dimming, everyone would need to take my throw-ratio and camera/viewer distance into account before doing all the same math AND it'd be a little trickier for me to show precise angles since I'd have to take account of three angle effects instead of just one.
The centered sample makes it easier for me and a little easier for others looking for those numbers.

Quote:
I know you have taken some pictures with the projector just filling the panel, but it seems like there is such high FL at that point that side dimming is not really noticeable.
Because the camera (or eyeball) adjusts for the peak-brightness at center, the difference between the bright center and dimmer sides/corners will still show regardless of overall brightness..although I DID have to lower the output quite a lot to stop the camera from catching the DLP refresh with the super-fast shutter speeds required for capturing a very bright image without over-exposing the shot. So if it makes you feel any better, those tiny shots are probably only around 20ftL-30ftL ("only" being somewhat relative here).

Quote:
Using just the small sample from Carl's against my 122" white screen, the effect of sample placement was hard to judge.

I tried to take a picture of my white field lamp uniformity issue last night with a mostly white freeze frame of a commercial on TV. The camera pushed blue that wasn't there and exaggerates the brightness difference for some reason, but it does show the sort of outside edge dimming I would expect from an ALR screen's outside edges when viewed at 0 degrees. Am I correct ?
I'd say the camera is probably exaggerating that more than you'd normally see using an ALR screen in person. Cameras tend to exaggerate any brightness differences inside of a picture because they can only capture roughly 1/3 as much contrast as your eye sees and then they stretch that smaller bit out to nearly fill their entire 0-255/16-235 output.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'd hear complaints from absolutely everybody if ALR screens had non-uniformity in person that looked that extreme.
Besides that, yes I think that's a good example of how the non-uniformity can usually appear (except in most cases it will be much less extreme/visible and won't have a noticable change in color-temp).

Quote:
BTW, every time I see one of these comparisons I think "different occasions might need different screen surfaces". I had a brainstorm about how I could make a mounting for a reversible and flexible screen hinged at the top and pivoted at the sides to get four surfaces: 1) flat white flat screen for use in the dark with guests, 2) flat white curved screen for A-Lens use, 3) ALR flat screen, 4) ALR curved. If I ever get my construction finished in my new room and try to put my screen brainstorms into practice it will either be noteworthy or disaster.
That would be quite a thing to see. Will you be posting any diagrams/sketches somewhere?

post #11 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That would be quite a thing to see. Will you be posting any diagrams/sketches somewhere?
I need to actually get the room finished before I can actually test my prism-based A-Lens at full size and determine whether the curve improvement to focus and CA at the edges is worth it over a flat screen. Rather than trying to use the "calculator" for curved screens, I intend to do it empirically by just holding white paper away from the wall and see how much the sides need to come forward to eliminate pincushion and restore focus.

Like wise, I need to test some of these ALR formulas to see what I like about them. I've lived with a white screen for 15 years and was not impressed with any of the Carl's samples, so something full size is going to be needed to convince me.

If I decide my brainstorm isn't a brainfart and build it, I will take pictures along the way.

Basically, I envision one of those mobile chalkboards used in classrooms that can be flipped over to show either side (yes, I am old enough they used chalkboards when I was in college). Nothing fancy, all manual. Except instead of being on a mobile stand, the outer frame uprights would be hinged to the wall at the top. It would pull out away from the wall far enough to allow the inner edgeless two-sided screen to flip over on side pivots, then hinge back flush with the wall again. The screen would have fabric stretched over both sides and stapled along the edges no-one would see rather than on the back. The center of the top and bottom rails of the screen would have tabs that could be locked to the wall surface while the outside edges could be pulled forward and held away from the wall to create the curve no matter which surface was facing outward.

I converted my picture to grayscale and bloomed it a bit to show more what the eye sees. The camera really messed up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whitefield mirror bw.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1713185  

Kirk Ellis
post #12 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm having trouble imagining how you'd make the curve bow round/eliptical instead of turning harsh and triagular.

Besides the hotspot being off-center, that looks like a good example. Plus actual hotspotting/warmspotting moves around depending where you're viewing from anyway, so it could easily end up a bit off-center in reality.

Also I stole your picture..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	3828
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1713553  

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-12-2016 at 08:15 PM.
post #13 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
...just sayin'

I would venture you have to get / learn better control over whatever camera / phone your using. Your "ambient Light" content images are full of noise and every shot (excepting the two dark room shots in the 3rd post, and the no content, ambient light-off axis shots in post 5) is underexposed, not overexposed. As such they really do not serve to show much else. It doesn't seem your "ambient light" shots are very much more than low ambient light. Why is that? The dark room shots....you gotta work on those too. (...with more varied, real world content...please) Photography of your examples has always been a weak point. And while you have been quick to analyze and sometimes criticize other much clearer and illustrative efforts as being overexposed or "slightly" misleading, you gotta get your own house in order if your really going to make a conscious effort to show what your efforts are really accomplishing.

(The above critique was offered / intended to help....not belittle)

Good job on the spraying / straining instructions. Something vaguely familiar about them though...can't put my finger on it.....

And using a Matte Poly? Genius !

One thing to point out....the mix as listed involves mixing a small amount (20 oz w/o water - 30 oz w/water) and that is not enough for any but the smallest screens. It also means the 1st sprayed coat attempt must be nailed....perfectly, or the 2nd is not going to compensate for errors or miscues. And any success will depend upon a lot of good fortune.

It also involves sourcing / buying enough small 2 oz Bottles of a particular paint, which can be difficult no matter who carries it.

If one knows to go back and check a variety of Threads & Posts during the Pre- "Micheal's Silver Metallic" era,(2005-2008) the advanced mixes that used metallic paint from Delta Silver and White Pearl started out with the 2 oz sizes. Later 12 oz Bottles were available...for a time. Popularity made both sizes become scarce in Michaels - Hobby Lobby - .....almost anywhere they were sold. Even the Folk Art Sterling Silver (FASS) variety, when desperation called for substitution, became scare if just one end user came in. BAM. Inventory depleted.

Of course very few were painting 86" diagonal screens, so there is that to consider. 4-5 bottles is a far cry from 20-25.

So many went to the Internet. Blick's was one source....a few others were found. But gosh....soon they would get whacked too.

Folk Art has never offered the suggested paint in larger sizes. As such it was not a viable consideration. And....when the 12 oz'er of Delta Silver & Pearl became 1st scarcer then non-existent (Stores dropping Delta)

In my own experience (not opinion) it's is not conducive to assured success among the Masses to suggest that such paints be applied in 2 coats. Nor is the ability of a Spray Gun to lay down heavier coats indicative of the desirability of using one. Nothing can be said against trying to make things easier....but any such attempt takes more R&D than just a small sample. And any such spraying technique as suggested must be scaled up, and my experience shows that trying to get someone to maintain a straight, level line at any consistently accurate distance from the wall over any width greater than 7', (...and manage an accurate drop distance too...) and not lay down too much here and/or too little there.....at 1' - 1.5' per second...................* ......well it isn't going to be successful enough often enough to warrant advocating it as being "easy".

There is more than a few specific reasons a thinner mix applied quicker over several coats is best. Spraying like is mentioned above equates more to getting a heavier coating more akin to rolling. Of course the stated mix above does have a "added water" option, one that when employed suddenly starts to emulate other well know mixes in the lower viscosity realm. That however means that using the correct type sprayer (true small orifice HVLP) and applying it more precisely becomes both desirable and imperative.

There are Electric HVLP guns with finer spray capability than the mentioned Wagner...and they are priced within $10-20.00 on either side. So really, creating a mix / application that calls for the use of a less-than ideal spraying rig / method seems very counter productive.
A Trio of Correct Choices:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8HI0S8?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VKFDEO/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZBP60/

The mix shows enough promise...it should...it's really not anything new and other nearly identical DIY applications have already worked fine, albeit some showed the same Straight on viewing considerations as listed....yet others much less so. What's Old is New. A truly well known idiom in DIY Screen making. And some did involve using Folk Art exclusively. Mostly just to be different...and not be seen as copycats. I remember that those mixes didn't fare well for long, especially when higher content levels were involved / needed to get results that actually made a difference. Good or bad. In all fairness, one cannot get involved with using metallic's without looking for / stumbling onto paints (& ideas) that have already been used. Of course, as the Author notes, the current batch of FASS seems to be different from the more "grainy" older version. But the use of a dark Gray base w/ Poly added to attenuate the overly aggressive reflect'ivity of the FASS....now that might be construed as being new, since very few ever managed to get acceptable results when using FASS as just an addition to a base paint alone.

In closing....DIY'er must accept at least a certain "buy in price point" when attempting to make a surface that will perform better and more effective than a Matte White or Flat Neutral Gray. Absolutely we all want more for less. But giving out "Reality Checks" must be part and parcel to giving out correct and good advice as well.

Post note:
Several YouTube and Ebay Screen Mixes use formulas close to the one within, except few have tried it so "darkly". But there are some...and the same advantages & issues that plague their results are manifest in here. Plenty of Metallic-induced enhancement....poor ALR ability except within a narrow viewing cone...and often restricted PJ placement considerations when the painted surface really had significant ALR ability due to strong Retro-or Angular reflect'ivity.
trbizwiz1 likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 10-12-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #14 of 98 Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!

Yeah, I need to remember to use the low ISO and hold steady for cleaner shots instead of using the auto-ISO...or start carrying a second/better camera. The low ISO is smoother/less-grainy but blurs really easily if I'm standing on sailer legs.

Spraying formation is the same I've seen from literally everyone so far besides Crystal Ken B (folks online and even car painters all seem to use a similar format).
Poly; what! I can take advice. ..it just takes a while for me to find somewhere useful to employ it.

I only suggested using this mix WITH the water so far, although it might need to skip water entirely for rolling onto a vertical wall (assuming that even works in the first place with decent results).

I wish the metallics were all easier to get in larger amounts and around the world.
I'm personally trying to stick to metallics that I can easily find in physical stores which are located all around the US (faster than online for me and easier for others to follow along than small-store local items). So I've been somewhat limited to FolkArt, RalphLauren, and Rustoleum.

Because of the worldwide online availability, I eventually intend to goof around with AAA-fine as well.

I've been pretty excited about using the FolkArt specifically because it has provided the smoothest spraying experience (less rough than Rustoleum and less coughy/saggy than RalphLauren/Disney) possibly because of its slightly higher level of gloss compared to those two and faster dry-time. Between that and the poly (or hopefully DeepBase once I've done some testing) the mix is able to lay really smooth and avoid sagging/running even in adverse conditions (cold/wet) and even despite several major screw-ups during the painting process itself (patchy thick/thin areas and having starts and stops and basically everything going wrong).
So I think it's not only cool for the sake of being a particularly dark and aggressive mix with a nicely smooth/round gain-curve, but it's ALSO a really friendly mix to introduce people to spraying because of its fairly ridiculous level of forgiveness.

If you find yourself with a little free time, grab a tube or two of the FolkArt metallic GunmetalGrey and mix it 1:1:1-1.5:1.5:1 with the matte-polycrylic I'm sure you've already got on-hand and water (that's a half'n'half mix of FA-gunmetal and poly and a 25%-33% thinning with water), and give it a spray onto whatever panel you think a 6oz-10oz amount of paintmix can appropriately cover. It's kind of "freeing" having something be so forgiving and inexpensive yet dark-colored and brightly imaged.
It'd also be really cool to hear from you whether or not this level of viscosity is appropriate for your gun of choice..although I'd expect it should work for either since your BFX1 was shown to work fine out of the OptiStain.

The OptiStain is listed as having an 0.8mm tip online I believe.
I personally like it because it's only $40-$50, commonly available in physical stores (some local hardware stores as well as Walmart), quiet, lightweight, creates very little over-spray or mess, no amputation warning like the atomizer guns warn, and it's pretty easy to clean. I don't have anything against other guns, this just happens to be the one I know and like.

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-12-2016 at 09:51 PM.
post #15 of 98 Old 10-13-2016, 09:44 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:

Spraying formation is the same I've seen from literally everyone so far besides Crystal Ken B (folks online and even car painters all seem to use a similar format).
Poly; what! I can take advice. ..it just takes a while for me to find somewhere useful to employ it.
Awww....now really. Car Painters aside, I was advocating and illustrating the Duster Method since 2005, way long before anyone else even bothered with advocating anything remotely like it. (...although I did get initiated to adding water...via a Canadian Car Painter on Vancouver Island though..... ) And only then once advanced DIY mixes became as thin as they are. Before that, a 1.6 mm Needle was the smallest that could be effectively used. (ie: The Original Wagner Control Spray - circa 2005)
People around the World have been reading AVS's DIY Screens both before that time and ever since and gleaned their ideas from what they have read / learned. That's just too patently obvious to ignore or discount. So a little specific credit where it is due would be appreciated.

However I cannot say I've seen anyone advocate a 2 Coat process with any mix that was truly thin enough to ever hope to pass through a 0.8 mm Needle. Basically...it's impossible. You had better check your facts...don't depend upon a Seller's description. I say that without fear of contradiction because I speak with / have spoken with the Chief Tech at Wagner / Earlex many times, and it's a totally irrefutable fact that NO Wagner product now in existence possesses a Needle Tip less than 1.8 mm. No question about that can be considered. That's the way it is.

The sheer fact and incident that you were able to apply what you considered an acceptably thick covering in just 2 coats bespeaks the use of at minimum a 1.8 mm tip. Basically....you were led astray by a On-Line Vendor who misquoted or Typo'd an incorrect figure.

Quote:
I only suggested using this mix WITH the water so far, although it might need to skip water entirely for rolling onto a vertical wall (assuming that even works in the first place with decent results).
With a 1:1 ratio of paint to Poly........I would not suggest that it will, unless a Roller Cover with a ultra smooth nap is used (3/16th) and the application is applied very wet and with minimum "working". Even then the tendency toward Retro-Reflection will jump way up. One other very telling thing to bear in mind is how you do not see anyone suggesting you can get a streak-free finish with Poly using a Roller. The 50% Poly Content still is "too rich" to allow for that, and besides, the rolling of any such mix risks the "Flattened" alignment of the Metallic content at the surface. No....spraying is the only assured method to obtain a truly Flat sheen.

Quote:
I wish the metallics were all easier to get in larger amounts and around the world.
I'm personally trying to stick to metallics that I can easily find in physical stores which are located all around the US (faster than online for me and easier for others to follow along than small-store local items). So I've been somewhat limited to FolkArt, RalphLauren, and Rustoleum.

Because of the worldwide online availability, I eventually intend to goof around with AAA-fine as well.
I fully understand...but alas few outlets ever keep more than 4-5 bottles in stock. The Internet is about the only source where one get get what quantity one needs, but as you well know, many are loath to go to that trouble. So at times they must hit every available location within their given local. That's how it has rolled since the beginning.....

As far as the AAA-Fine, it's new formula makes it much more like a Mica product...but it's aluminum still creates more issues than advantages if it is used in the amounts you've been trying with Mica -based products. And in reality...it's neither inexpensive nor all that widely available unless one also shops it on the Web.

Quote:
I've been pretty excited about using the FolkArt specifically because it has provided the smoothest spraying experience (less rough than Rustoleum and less coughy/saggy than RalphLauren/Disney) possibly because of its slightly higher level of gloss compared to those two and faster dry-time. Between that and the poly (or hopefully DeepBase once I've done some testing) the mix is able to lay really smooth and avoid sagging/running even in adverse conditions (cold/wet) and even despite several major screw-ups during the painting process itself (patchy thick/thin areas and having starts and stops and basically everything going wrong).
So I think it's not only cool for the sake of being a particularly dark and aggressive mix with a nicely smooth/round gain-curve, but it's ALSO a really friendly mix to introduce people to spraying because of its fairly ridiculous level of forgiveness.
Ftoast, I can tell ya sumpthin'....it is the very situation your potentially facing with the RL-Disney paints...and before that the Martha Stewart variety that led to the use of the RustOleum. And while nothing in life or Paint Distribution is guaranteed, RustOleum stands a far greater chance of being around for a far longer period.

And offering further clarification, the RustOleum SM is only "rough" when it is not thinned enough and applied in the most optimal manner. I and others have no such results when using a properly thinned mix with a true 1.0 mm Tip.

You cannot expect the use of Deep Base to substitute for the Thinning and Translucent properties of Poly. The latter not having been given enough mention or credit in how it works to improve diffused reflection. I daresay that without it your attempts would have failed to be worth publishing. Going back many years, the original 1:1:1 mix of MMud (1 Part UPW - 1 Part Deep Base - 1 Part Behr White Pearl ) was a very thick, heavy mix. It would roll out just fine....but spraying with even a 2.2 mm Needle was an exercise in going verrrrry slowly. Proper applied, it was held up against the Stewart StudioTek 100 and a bit later the 130, and found to be wholly comparable (...and crazy less expensive...) But Spraying slowly with consistency was not something the NOOB could easily do right off the bat

The addition of another :1 Part Water to the MMud mix made it truly spray-able, (...bless that Canuck's advice...) nbut it was the substitution of 75% of the Water with a Satin Poly ( and 6 oz Behr Silver Metallic...) that ushered in RS-MaxxMudd, and the realization that yeah....ambient light resistance with no loss of gain was a real possibility.

(BTW... Deep Base is no Thinner or contains no less Titanium White than a UPW....it simply comes with less in the Can so more Tint can be added. I had the same misunderstanding for sometime, and once a fellow AVS / Painter set me straight, the need to use Deep Base became a thing of the past....until recently with the ultra Dark Gray Base I've used in lue of BF Colorant)

Quote:
If you find yourself with a little free time, grab a tube or two of the FolkArt metallic GunmetalGrey and mix it 1:1:1-1.5:1.5:1 with the matte-polycrylic I'm sure you've already got on-hand and water (that's a half'n'half mix of FA-gunmetal and poly and a 25%-33% thinning with water), and give it a spray onto whatever panel you think a 6oz-10oz amount of paint mix can appropriately cover. It's kind of "freeing" having something be so forgiving and inexpensive yet dark-colored and brightly imaged.
While I appreciate the suggestion, and can understand you own enthusiasm, my doing so would amount to regressing at best, and also be a exercise in trying something I already know will not deliver the degree of performance I demand...and want to refer to others.

I'm sure you've seen both the "Full Wall Screens" I've posted Threads about, both of which are in the least every bit as dark or darker than the Gun Metal Gray, and are comprised of a custom Color Mix (...which I published...) using Glidden Diamond Base 3 (essentially a Deep Base).....Matte Poly, and BFX1I

They both of them neither exhibit the degree of off-axis dimming or limited viewing cone seen in your lit-room, non image examples above. And I noted that the images where you showed the three contrasting samples in ambient light at different viewing angles did not include any projected examples. Had you done so, the results seen as the angle of viewing was increased would have shown the center example to be tremendously attenuated in comparison.

And....I still insist it's not going to be "less expensive" if utilized in the amounts a 1:1:1 mix will require for any screen above 86" diagonal, and almost prohibitively so for 120"ers+ And what about getting all the paint out of all those little bottles? Sheesh...that was always a issue raised by Members. I'd hate to see that revisited.

Quote:
It'd also be really cool to hear from you whether or not this level of viscosity is appropriate for your gun of choice..although I'd expect it should work for either since your BFX1 was shown to work fine out of the OptiStain.
It will work with your Gun. No chance at all with any gun that sports a finer Needle / Nozzle assembly.

Quote:
The OptiStain is listed as having an 0.8mm tip online I believe.
I personally like it because it's only $40-$50, commonly available in physical stores (some local hardware stores as well as Walmart), quiet, lightweight, creates very little over-spray or mess, no amputation warning like the atomizer guns warn, and it's pretty easy to clean. I don't have anything against other guns, this just happens to be the one I know and like.
Well I think all the above concerning Tip Size has been settled. You can check yourself though...and easily enough by calling the Chief Tech for Wagner / Earlex @ 888-783-2612

Tell 'em Maurice sent'cha. We go back a'ways.

In the end, you can at least be advised that the Opti-Stain (...or the Standard Control Spray ) can indeed spay out the mix you have with acceptable results....but you will have even better results if you at least increase the number of coats to 4-5 by increasing your speed by a minimum of 2x. You will also be doing others a service by suggesting such, and therein helping them avoid the runs, drips, and sags that they will get once they start spraying screens of normal sizes.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #16 of 98 Old 10-13-2016, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!

I'll probably try calling Wagner. If they're half as helpful over the phone as Carl's, it'll be a treat just for the experience. (Carl's really went above and beyond)
I could easily be wrong about that 0.8mm size as I've only seen it "spec'ed" on Amazon. If it gives you a fuller scope, this mix IS pretty watery-thin..thinner than milk. That's why I'm praising the FA so hard for not running/sagging.

Once I nail down a specific mix (either the 1:1:1 Gunmetaloly:water or a darker 1:1:1:1.5 Black:Gunmetaloly:water most likely) I plan to paint a 7ft-8ft wide screen which should give me a better idea of how many FolkArt tubes will fill different screen-sizes.
I expect 4-5 tubes of Gunmetal to be plenty for a 100"-110" screen, but I guess I'll find out.

I wonder what the typical wait time is for stores to special order extra paint for something bigger

I'm quite certain you were led astray (or misunderstood possibly) about the starting amount of tint/KX in most deep/dark-base (the base used for making black paints and the darker greys and deepest colors) before the store adds your requested colors. If you grab a can of deep/dark-base off the shelf and don't have it tinted at the store it will go onto a surface milky/translucent and dries to become almost completely clear/transparent.
You and I actually had this same conversation a year or two ago.

If you grab a single tube of gunmetal FA metallic and compare its color to BFX1 I think you'll find the Gunmetal to be a decent ways darker-colored than the BFX1. If BFX1 can be darkened by adding that custom paint-mix you posted earlier which is around N5.5-N5.7, the Gunmetal's N3.7-N4 shade will be deeper.

Should thinned flat base probably behave better for rolling than the matte poly or should the poly probably handle rolling just as well or better?
I mean in a mix..not alone, of course.

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-13-2016 at 11:16 AM.
post #17 of 98 Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tried to organize the first posts a little better and completed most of the experimenting I planned on doing. Hopefully things are a little neater now..though I'm totally open to critiques for making it easier to get through.

It's looking like FolkArt metallic makes a better sprayed mix than just about any other metallic but a poorer rolled mix than just about any other metallic..so I can highly recommend spraying this but caution against rolling unless you're doing it for kicks instead of use.

I'm VERY happy with how well the same 1:1 metallic and poly (thinned with about 30%water) mixes work using the SterlingSilver or Pearl metallics either alone or mixed with the Gunmetal..The lighter metallic colors have slightly higher concentrations of metallic/mica which leads to slightly higher gain AND they can be used to lighten the surface-color to create less aggressive screens that look amazingly clean and uniform while still fighting a decent amount of ambient light.
I have also noticed the Pearl and Sterling FA metallics seem to use less pigment which leaves the mixes a little more translucent..which could present a problem if applied over a very dark surface.

Further dilluting the metallic with even higher amounts of matte water-based poly drops gain suprisingly less than I'd expect, but the lack of color-coverage gets in the way of allowing the user the cover larger areas with fewer tubes of FolkArt.

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-04-2016 at 05:26 AM.
post #18 of 98 Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried to organize the first posts a little better and completed most of the experimenting I planned on doing. Hopefully things are a little neater now..though I'm totally open to critiques for making it easier to get through.
Well, shucks. It does seem more organized now, but I can't remember what it looked like before, so ...

I do think the larger panel shot in the first post is an excellent addition. That crowd shot was obviously chosen to show off the darks with the lamp so close by, but I'd like to see a shot with a mix of lighter colors. Like these from Aeon Flux

The last one especially should be a good test of keeping true the variations and details in both whites and blacks side by side.

Also, your video doesn't make it clear what measurements of what components you are using. Did you already have poly in the cup and then added water to it, and then the FA Gunmetal or was that a darker FA ? And the spitting the gun did was not apparent in the end result ?

Kirk Ellis
post #19 of 98 Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That IS a nice screenshot for showing both shadow and highlight details at once..consider it stolen.

I was about to add in the mix used in the video until I rememered it was one of the SequinBlack tests which I consider to all be failures for all but the brightest projectors on the most modest-sized screens (we're talking 70" screens for Epson 2040 and Benq 2050 extreme low gain)..Granted, for that small niche they'd have an image that's bright on a screen as black as their Blueray player.

I believe the order in the video was; poly, then water, then FA SequinBlack..I want to say that was the 3:1:2 mix of metallic : poly : water which has a somewhat glossy sheen from too little poly being used.

Nope, the panel still turned out smooth and uniform with an image on it after the second coat...which was interrupted by the panel curling so hard it ripped itself loose from the tape because it was too cold that night. Had to grab more tape and then restart the second coat. It was pretty ridiculous.
The gun started spitting because I used too little paint which had the gun sucking air (when kept slightly tilted in the cup's straw direction you can use as little as 1oz of mix in that gun for a little panel, but tilting away from the straw or using less will cause it to start sucking air and sputtering).

That bigger panel (using the 1:1:1 mix of Gunmetal : Poly : water) was also sprayed during a colder night and I sprayed the first coat WAY too slow so it started sagging down the slippery front-side of the thrifty-white until I attacked it with the blow-dryer for a little while. I made sure to spray the second coat at a thinner ~1ft/sec and 10"-12"distance and blow-dried it for a minute or two and then ran out of paint right away while trying to start a third coat.
I was using only 0.55ounces of mix per square-foot of panel at the time so the overly thick first coat and some later goofing around took too much paint for there to be a third coat..so I called it "done" and it still turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aeon Flux Daytime.jpg
Views:	5301
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1722617  

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-18-2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #20 of 98 Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That IS a nice screenshot for showing both shadow and highlight details at once..consider it stolen.
Happy to help !

That sunlight is just murder. I suspect in anything less extreme the screen does not lose the details in the folds of her white outfit or the details of the various textures in her black tactical outfit ? I realize it is kind of amazing to even have an image in that kind of lighting, but come on ...

I thought the FA in the video looked awful dark, but your Gunmetal screen is pretty dark, too, so I wasn't sure. Based on your gain estimates for combinations of various FAs, I think I'd look to mix some Pearl and Gunmetal to keep gain above 1.0 while remaining relatively dark. I am kind of enthralled with the idea of surprising guests with how dark a screen can be and still be nice and bright in use. And if it still isn't bright enough for 2.40:1 use at 11' wide, there is still the reverse side to do with just Pearl-Poly on a white base, right ?

I actually read the entire S-I-L-V-E-R thread last night and it looked promising for high-gain until I found out the Behr Faux Glaze is off the market and nobody ever confirmed a substitute. Your use of the matte poly seems like it does the same as the faux glaze did, but MM told someone in that thread that poly or even a different glaze was not a good substitute.

Kirk Ellis
post #21 of 98 Old 10-18-2016, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Happy to help !
That sunlight is just murder. I suspect in anything less extreme the screen does not lose the details in the folds of her white outfit or the details of the various textures in her black tactical outfit ? I realize it is kind of amazing to even have an image in that kind of lighting, but come on ...
I tried to expose the shot as well as possible without clipping the whites nor shadows, but the projector and screen are probably doing a better job than I was (the camera and I are more to blame than anything else for detail being lost).
Quote:
I thought the FA in the video looked awful dark, but your Gunmetal screen is pretty dark, too, so I wasn't sure. Based on your gain estimates for combinations of various FAs, I think I'd look to mix some Pearl and Gunmetal to keep gain above 1.0 while remaining relatively dark. I am kind of enthralled with the idea of surprising guests with how dark a screen can be and still be nice and bright in use. And if it still isn't bright enough for 2.40:1 use at 11' wide, there is still the reverse side to do with just Pearl-Poly on a white base, right ?
I just sprayed a little panel of pearl+sterling+gunmetal (4ml each along with 12ml poly and 12ml water) to check how the gain and color landed. It turned out a little darker-colored than I was figuring, right around the shade of carlsALR with gain that's just a little higher..roughly 1.1-1.2gain I'd guess. The picture's clean-ness and off-axis brightness also gets even better with the lighter-colored mixes like this, so adding pearl and gunmetal together can definitely work well.
Quote:
I actually read the entire S-I-L-V-E-R thread last night and it looked promising for high-gain until I found out the Behr Faux Glaze is off the market and nobody ever confirmed a substitute. Your use of the matte poly seems like it does the same as the faux glaze did, but MM told someone in that thread that poly or even a different glaze was not a good substitute.
I'm sure poly or matte-glaze or flat untinted deep-base can all be used with somewhat differing results to achieve the same goal.
Last I read, Mississippi said he judged the gain to actually be around 1.4 or 1.5, so I'm pretty sure it won't be too hard to find a combination that gets a similar gain and shade/color.
As far as a higher gain silver-y mix, I'd look at picking up some Rustoleum SterlingSilver metallic or (if you really want to go dark-colored yet high-gain) Rustoleum RealPewter metallic because the Rustoleum is still a pretty good paint for spraying AND it contains a boatload of metallic/mica without as much surface-gloss which allows you to use a smaller ratio of matte-poly and enjoy a ton of metallic gain. I doubt the dark RealPewter would be very friendly at high gain levels, but the SterlingSilver should be very impressive with only enough poly to keep it juuuust under control.

If you've got a decent local source such as Lowe's where you can buy the Rustoleum SterlingSilver for around $30/quart, let me know if you'd like me to experiment with it a bit first...and let me know if you'd like to aim for any particular shade and gain.

post #22 of 98 Old 10-19-2016, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Muhuahahaha
A somewhat ridiculous experiment turned out to be a complete success in ways I didn't dare hope for.

Coming soon; black with around 1.0gain.

EDIT:
Well, poo. It looks like the only way this will work is with a pretty high amount of SequinBlack which kind of ruins the fun.
The experiment that worked was replacing the poly with RalphLauren or Disney/Glidden metallic (un-tinted) which seems to leave the GunMetal the same color but sadly lightens the SequinBlack noticeably.
I guess it's alright as the higher gain at these levels of darkness should really require a long throw-ratio and be pretty limiting to the viewing-cone anyway..still wanted to see it work though.
On the bright side, switching out the poly for the untinted metallic DOES let anyone looking to make a lighter-colored mix (SterlingSilver and/or PearlWhite or a light mix of Pearl and Gunmetal and Sterling) have some crazy high gain along with it.

The RL/Disney metallic dries slower than the poly and the FA metallic, so the RL/Disney is a bit less forgiving for spraying, but it still isn't bad as long as your space is warm and you make sure the last two or three coats all go on really thin/fast/light...and attacking the wet coats with a blow-dryer helps too.

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-19-2016 at 04:08 PM.
post #23 of 98 Old 10-19-2016, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
just now when I made the purchase of the FA Gunmetal.
post #24 of 98 Old 10-19-2016, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisson Silva View Post
just now when I made the purchase of the FA Gunmetal.
I still prefer how the gunmetal works.
The black mix loses some of the forgiving nature of the Gunmetal+Poly mix AND the black naturally dims more as you move toward the sides. It's more a proof of concept than something I'd suggest for most folks whereas the GunMetal is something I'd definitely suggest for anyone who needs a very aggressive mix that they can spray onto a smooth surface.

Are you actually going to give the gunmetal a try?
Do you have a smooth surface (or wall) picked out and some water-based matte polyurethane and a blow-dryer...and a sprayer than works well for very thin paint?
Sorry about the question flood. I'm just excited to see someone else who might take a crack at this too.
If you were just joking...whoops.

post #25 of 98 Old 10-19-2016, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I still prefer how the gunmetal works.
The black mix loses some of the forgiving nature of the Gunmetal+Poly mix AND the black naturally dims more as you move toward the sides. It's more a proof of concept than something I'd suggest for most folks whereas the GunMetal is something I'd definitely suggest for anyone who needs a very aggressive mix that they can spray onto a smooth surface.

Are you actually going to give the gunmetal a try?
Do you have a smooth surface (or wall) picked out and some water-based matte polyurethane and a blow-dryer...and a sprayer than works well for very thin paint?
Sorry about the question flood. I'm just excited to see someone else who might take a crack at this too.
If you were just joking...whoops.
Yes, I will use the Gunmetal, bought 5 bottles. My intention is paint a 117" mdf screen and increase the black level on the screen. I still need buy the Poly, and will use hvlp... need to test with this mix. My screen is matte white right now
post #26 of 98 Old 10-19-2016, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisson Silva View Post
Yes, I will use the Gunmetal, bought 5 bottles. My intention is paint a 117" mdf screen and increase the black level on the screen. I still need buy the Poly, and will use hvlp... need to test with this mix. My screen is matte white right now
If you haven't yet tried spraying watery-thin paint through your HVLP gun, you can thin some cheapo paint as 2parts paint and 1part water to practice and find how far down you need to clamp the gun's opening or trigger-guard to spray the thinned paint in a dusty/freckly manner (I believe you can generally leave any adjustable power settings -if present- at full unless the gun blasts out paint like violent sneezes).

Or you can try and adjust as you go with the mix, since having the first coat go on a bit thick/slow is fine as long as you dry it thoroughly and make sure the next couple of coats go on thin and fast so they each dry right away.

Seriously, don't underestimate how much a blow-dryer helps as soon as you've finished spraying a coat and wiped off the gun's tip.
Alisson Silva likes this.

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-19-2016 at 04:11 PM.
post #27 of 98 Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you've got a decent local source such as Lowe's where you can buy the Rustoleum SterlingSilver for around $30/quart, let me know if you'd like me to experiment with it a bit first...and let me know if you'd like to aim for any particular shade and gain.
I have Lowes and HD and ACE and Walmart all nearby so sourcing paint shouldn't be an issue as long as it hasn't been discontinued like the Behr Faux Glaze.

As I said, I am too intrigued by the style of a dark screen with the lights on not to give it a shot, but the silver colored screens don't appeal as much, especially if it means any sort of sparkle like I see in the Carl's Silver sample. What I liked about the S-I-L-V-E-R was the overall white appearance of the screen in room lighting but still the high gain without reported sparkles. So I am serious about a reversible screen if the dark screen just won't do it in a dark room. I am a little concerned that zoomed all the way down, my W1070 is not quite 1.5 throw and then with the A-Lens in place what hits the screen will be barely 1.1 throw. That might mean unacceptable dimming to the outside edges with a really aggressive ALR screen since that is effectively a 25 degree off-axis view at the outside edge. Although the curve should help somewhat. If I can get my RS1 working again, it will be mounted 1.5 throw, no A-lens and using the screen flat ... but of course only 600 lumens to work with.

Kirk Ellis
post #28 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm most of the way done with a 98" Gunmetal FolkArt screen and liking how it looks so far despite needing at least five coats of paint because four very light coats were needed to try and cover the first super runny coating. That first paint you put on bare ThriftyWhite tries to slide right off, lol.

Sadly the little runs/drips actually ended up with some texture at their ends so I may decide to give this whole thing a super light sanding and then a couple more quick coats.
Luckily the 24oz of thinned paint seems more than enough for this 30ft-square screen.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1st coat.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	1728353   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd coat.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	1728361   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd coat.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	1728369   Click image for larger version

Name:	4th.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	1728377   Click image for larger version

Name:	5th.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	1728385  

Name:	high APL.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1728393   Click image for larger version

Name:	low APL far.jpg
Views:	3657
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1728401   Click image for larger version

Name:	low APL.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1728409  

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-22-2016 at 01:41 AM.
post #29 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would spraying an unthinned coat of primer first be better than trying the mix directly on the thrifty, or would that throw away the smoothness of the final surface ? Maybe just a light sanding of the thrifty instead of primer would be enough to give the thinned mix something to bite ?

Kirk Ellis
post #30 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Paint or primer after a bit of sanding should be smooth enough I think, but just roughing up the malamine might work too.
I didn't really think I'd NEED either since my previous panel worked fine..though it might've been too cold while I was spraying this one.

I added pictures to the previous post.

EDIT:
There's also a decent chance that this malamine panel was dirty and a little greasy while I sprayed it..I totally forgot to clean it before painting. D:

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-04-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
alr , black , paint , screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page