DIY Aluminum paint rolls well. . . but. . . - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 514 Old 08-25-2003, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ddog, I got the materials this weekend and a scrap 4' x 4' piece of sheetrock and I am going to experiment this weekend and see what I get. I have the process down, so now it is time to just do it. Thanks for all your assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 514 Old 08-25-2003, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Kool,

No problem and have fun.

Ddog!!

To see pictures of my home theater & screen shots click on the www icon at the top or go to:

http://home.1asphost.com/ddogtheater/
post #363 of 514 Old 08-25-2003, 09:32 AM

Just wanted to pipe in here (must be second longest thread of all time)...this has been a great thread indeed. I too have experimented with many a paint and materials mix for screen useage.
I tried ddog's concoction, as it sounded like it would possibly work quite well for me. I've used some of these ingredients on other attemps (mostly the metalic silver Behr), so I kinda knew what I was in for. However, the other attemps were spray can and roll on paint applications. This was the first time I enlisted a sprayer/compressor. (actully just used a small push button hand held sprayer for smaller hobbies/applications for testing)
While I've not checkecked out what the finished product can do yet,(just did it tonight), the sample I did looks great!!!!...seems to have tremendous potential anyway...THANKS DDOG!!!!!...very good indeed.
I will tinker with it, I"m sure. But I like what I see so far.
One thing I notice, is that the sample board's color is overall lighter than what I expected at first, but maybe I need to add more metalic to the mix later when I do the real screen...hummmm. I put my trial sample up against the samples Stewart sent me (Firehawk/greyhawk), and my "ddog's special" is lighter than even the light grey greyhawk! I expected it to be darker than it was.
ddog, can/should this be darkened any?..does it matter for black level so much? Should I do a final screen with your recommended mix (40/40/20 ish), or try to mix in more metalic, thus making the screen finish darker? (at least as dark as "Grayhawk'?)
I guess I was expecting a little bit darker outcome on the screen surface.
Still, again, If it's right, then great.
What my initial mix consisted of was 1/4 cup of Behr Met silver, 1/4 cup of faux Glaz Behr, a knife of flat bass (whiter than I thought, not clear), and a knife or two of flat white), then mixed and cut by 50% with watter and strainned and sprayed in several fine coats.
It seemed I could put coat on after coat with my sprayer, as it seamed to dry instantly as fine as I was spraying...any problems there?
Any feedback? Thx ddog!!!!!!....very good work dude.
post #364 of 514 Old 08-25-2003, 09:34 AM

My screen is a tad lighter grey then greyhawk but when you project onto it the two are very close as far as black level goes and I think the white area's look better on the DDog screen then greyhawk
post #365 of 514 Old 08-25-2003, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This thread is gettin so long that it is getting hard to track the steps.

ddog can you upate your website to list all the steps to making this screen
along with the exact products ( and serial numbers), for each step.
And possible alternative steps that one could take.

Also what are the best current ratios for the silver/glaze/white mix?
I've seen 50s/40g/10w and 40s/40/g/20w.
post #366 of 514 Old 08-25-2003, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya, this thread is getting long in the tooth. I'll try to(get my wife to) update my web site for I'm a Painter not a web master.

as for the mixing ratios 50s/40g/10w is for spraying and 40s/40g/20w is for rolling. I could be wrong here (for I have only sprayed the Mixture) but after going back and reading through this thread this is what it sounds like to me.

Ddog!!

To see pictures of my home theater & screen shots click on the www icon at the top or go to:

post #367 of 514 Old 08-25-2003, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

foreverhifi,

It sounds kinda funny but I have a few samples around here that are sprayed with both the 50/40/10(darker then the Gray-Hawk but lighter then the FireHawk) and 40/40/20(lighter then the GrayHawk) ratios and both seam to out preform the FireHawk.

So I'm sure that you'll like the sample that you've made very MUCH.

Ddog!!

Hey I see that your in the LA/OC not far from me, you should PM me?

post #368 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 01:02 AM

ddog,
a couple of "quickies" if you would
post #369 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 01:16 AM

ooooops!.... sorry about that.

Ok, it's too hard to go back and find all this in the threads. So ddog, can you tell e what the difference is in the following?:

A), what's the difference in using Semi gloss(or even gloss) white vs. flat white in the 1st bass coat procedure(if applicable to painted medium of corse)? And when is the "glaze" necessary, and when is it NOT in the first step?

B). What's the difference between using a Semi (or gloss) white vs. Flat white in the second 50/40/10 mix?

Have you any feed back on the difference in results with these variables?
Thx
post #370 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

foreverhifi,

A), what's the difference in using Semi gloss(or even gloss) white vs. flat white in the 1st bass coat procedure(if applicable to painted medium of coarse)? And when is the "glaze" necessary, and when is it NOT in the first step?

The difference is that both Semi and Gloss White Hot Spot.

You should always paint the White base coat on whatever screen medium you're using, this ensures good coverage and color accuracy.

The Glaze is added to the Metallic (Silver) and White to give more depth, have you ever seen a custom car that the paint looks like you could just jump right in it it was so deep?

B). What's the difference between using a Semi (or gloss) white vs. Flat white in the second 50/40/10 mix?

The answer to this is the same as the 1st, Hot Spotting.

Ddog!!

post #371 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

ddog: You've got me excited about painting my blackout screen! I'm excited to see how it turns out. Two questions:

1) I'm most definitely not a painter, so would it be easier to spray (if not as well-done)?

2) About how much total paint are we talking about for a screen that'll be 96"x54" or maybe a little smaller (say 102"-106" diagonal)?

Thanks a lot! I was just about to buy a Hi-Power screen, too. If I can make one for 1/4 to 1/2 the price, that's fine by me.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #372 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 10:50 AM

Thx ddog. I did however refer to the glaze in the FIRST STAGE, not the 50/40/10 second stage. So, will I just get more depth by adding glaze to the first step?..and that'd be the only reason for adding at that step? Becasue I then don't see the need to put glaze in the first and second step then, right?
Ok, so if I don't want hot spotting (who would), then just using flat white throughout the mixes is the best answer? Or does it depend? And when WOULD YOU want to use gloss or semi-gloss???
I personally have been scared off from even buying a jar of semi-gloss, thinking "why would I need to?"...it'll likely just make hot spots, right?...or is the semi sometimes better for brightness or gain or whatever?...or is that just the job of the glaze? Thx
post #373 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Havent seen it mentioned but I was going to go to a specilized paint store like sherman williams and give them the 50/40/10 formula and just have them mix it for me there. Has anyone had any luck doing something like this?
post #374 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 02:57 PM

The glaze and the silver are rather specialized products, and not likely to be in the carousel of tints they use to mix paints. I'm doubtful they'll be able to provide the product.

Happy viewing

Chris
post #375 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 06:18 PM
3DG

DDOG, or anyone else here with successful results, would need to confirm the following info for accuracy as I haven't tried the full process yet.

I've only done a quick-and-dirty sample with ingredients from just Step 2 below, one coat on plain blackout cloth, and it looks promising. I plan to follow the full steps/process in the next week or two for another sample. I don't know what the final results will be until I test again.

Step 1 - Basecoat Your Screen
Behr Flat Pure White #???
3 Coats ?
Optional: add some glaze at some point to increase depth and gain?

Step 2 - Silver Layer
Behr Silver Metallic #743 (50% for spray 40% for rolling)
Behr Faux Glaze #748 (40% for spray 40% for rolling)
Behr Flat Pure White #??? (10% for spray 20% for rolling)
Optional: some ??% of pure red to kill LCD green push

Step 3 - Let Dry and Test for Hot Spotting
If it looks good enjoy, if you have spotting go to Step 4

Step 4 - Kill Hot Spotting With Glaze Layer
Behr Faux Glaze #748 (60%)
Behr Base Accent #??? or WalMart Accent Base Clear #5053 (40%)
post #376 of 514 Old 08-26-2003, 11:24 PM

Yeah, the thread never ends!!!!..thankfully?....It's been great actually...and a whale of a read!
Ok, not sure if it's been covered, but what's the best options for sprayers at the different price points?
After doing a bit of asking around the Home Depot's, Lowe's, art supply stores, etc, I'm starting to think the best sprayer chioce for the job is going to cost quite a bit to put the parts together! Cost effective? I'm not so sure.
I've basically heard this:

A), the Wagner hand held electic sprayers are junk(???). Or at least you'll be battling the "spits"!

B). The more expensive electric "air-less" sprayers are not so efficient, in that they only will be for spraying, and they require you to LOAD LOTS OF PAINT INTO THE LINES...not to mention they spray fast and hard? (from what I hear anyway)

C). The air powered "generator" paint spray route is more efficient. But the actual "best gun" choice for them is supposedly expensive for a "good model", like the pros use. ($500 range?).
I hear the one's HD sells only spray with limited options and flexibility. But I've not used em.
Also the generator needs to be of adequate size for pressure.

D). The air pressured smaller "Airbrush's" are slower, and obviously less efficient over large areas, if not more as sprayers

I used a small airbrush for excellent results!...but then I didn't spray an area almost 4' X 8' with it!!!!

Any feedback on the hot tip for buying the best one for the job?
Acutally, HD rents the electric one's. But I'd rather just buy something, and not be pressured into having to return the darn thing the next night!
then I could use it again and again if needed.
post #377 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 11:01 AM

Now I am really confused, DDog

Are you suppsoed to use semi-gloss white or flat white for the initial base coat?

THANK!
post #378 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Dave, the semi-gloss will give you better results, but is prone to hotspotting. ddog will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm certain. ;)
post #379 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JDLIVE
Dave, the semi-gloss will give you better results, but is prone to hotspotting. ddog will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm certain. ;)
I'm not Ddog, but I believe he is saying go with the flat paint and you don't have to put the glaze/base combination on. Therefore, the process is:

paint with a flat - pure white base coat

50/40/10 ( or 40/40/20 if you are rolling ) silver/glaze/white

No top coat necessary.

Ddog, please correct me if I am wrong......and by the way, I am painting my screen ( wall ) this weekend, so I am excited.
post #380 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 12:32 PM

foreverhifi: you can get a good HVLP conversion gun for about $140 - you could then go on the cheap with a small pancake compressor for about $100 - I'ver seen harbor freight advertise on sale a pancake compressor for $89.99. the wagner HVLP conversion gun says it will work with most 1.5 hp compressors. For $250 total - you could use it for more than just the screen when you are done - paint anything that requires fine precision spraying. I wouldn't recommend it for painting a whole house though! And yes - the wagner HVLP conversion gun will spray latex paints with very little thinning. There are more expensive guns out there but I beleive for the average home joe - this one wins (YMMV). And yeah - the HVLP will transfer about 75-90% of the paint - where the airless wagners and conventional spray guns will only transfer around 30-45% of the paint to the surface - the rest - well lets say that what you see in the air as overspray is the rest - ask and ole hand who has been painting a while (like ddog) how much nicer HVLP is as compared to conventional spraying for reducing the overspray.
post #381 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

But what if this is a one-time thing. For instance, I can't paint anything in the house I live in, becasue I'm renting it. Should I go with an airbrush or rented electric sprayer, or just roll?

post #382 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 12:37 PM

I hate to keep dragging this thread out, but I am torn between spraying my screen and rolling it. I bought a Porter Cable HVLP spray gun that I can use with my existing compressor. It holds 20 oz. of paint at one time and is top fed, so I feel comfortable of knowing when I am running low of paint.

Even with a HVLP sprayer, can I make the paint smooth enough? I feel comfortable I can roll the paint on with a 3/8" nap roller and go back over it with a 3/16" nap roller and have it pretty smooth. I am just concerned with being able to get good, smooth consistent passes with the spray gun. I have painted patio furniture, wood doors, etc. in the past, but the need for such smooth consistency wasn't as important.

Thoughts?
post #383 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 12:38 PM

Blacklow - keep in mingd that HVLP got a lot of acceptance from woodworkers for sprayers lacqers and such finishes - so -if you ever think you might want to re-finish that old rockin chair - you still might find a use - if not sure - maybe renting is the best - I sorta put my foot in my mouth when I bought mine - I promised the wife I would re-paint the shutters plus do some baseboard molding that we want to intall with it - so I think I "earned my new toy tool" !!!
post #384 of 514 Old 08-28-2003, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

sportster64: This is more a cost and experience issue for me, i.e. I've already spent too much money on my other toys :). At most, I could see spending the $100 to buy an electric sprayer in addition to the screen materials. Also, I don't plan to be in this house for more than a couple years, so if there's any cosmetic work to be done, I'll let my landlord do it (it's his boyhood home). On top of all that, I'm not a painter of any sort. Outside of helping my folks repaint their porch and painting my room when I was a lad in my teen years, I've only painted signs.

post #385 of 514 Old 08-29-2003, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey you guys,

One could always exercise their rights to the 30days return policy.

post #386 of 514 Old 08-29-2003, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

coatie,

It sounds like you've done your home work, the advice is right.

Let me know how your screen turns out?

Ddog!!

post #387 of 514 Old 08-29-2003, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ddog
coatie,

It sounds like you've done your home work, the advice is right.

Let me know how your screen turns out?

Ddog!!
Still not sure if I am going to spray or roll, but I guess I will be deciding soon..... Thanks for your help. I will let you know
post #388 of 514 Old 08-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm Confused about the % of drops of red and what type to use. Could someone elaborate on this?

I have an HS10 Is the red necessary?

Flan

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #389 of 514 Old 08-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

I have an HS10, and put in about 3-6 drops of red, and I must say it looks really good. I would stick close to this formula.

Eric.

My Brain hurts!
post #390 of 514 Old 08-29-2003, 03:18 PM

I've got everything down except for the surface...

Is there any specical requirement for the surface (sheetrock, plywood, a wood frame with black cloth stretched across it, or a frame with a bed sheet...)

Obviously sheetrock is good because it will not wrinkle or warp. I was wondering about fabric stretched over a frame, since that would be nice and light. Does it matter if you use black cloth? If so, what exactly is black cloth and where can I get it? What happens if I just use a white sheet?
Closed Thread DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page