• 1 Post By Forristal

post #1 of 19 Old 01-26-2017, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Short Throw Paint Mix

Hi, all,

I've got a BenQ 1085st hung up on the ceiling, but the light brown wall just isn't doing it for me. I'd like to get a screen painted up (~120"), and I've been reading through a variety of mixes on this site. It seems like most paint mixes are ALR, and my understanding is that they don't work well with a short throw projector.

I've got the actual lighting/outside light in my room under control, but I have light brown walls and a white ceiling, and things can get a little bright in a white scene. I think I'm probably best suited for a gray screen (unless someone has a better suggestion). I'm hoping for a recommended paint mix in the gray range that's compatible with a short throw (about 7 feet).

If it makes much difference, It'd be great if the paints/similar were available in Canada, but I live close enough to the border that I could easily swing over and get whatever.

Looking for some insight so that I can get this project done. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 12:58 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Look at this Thread.

The Screen was 106" and the Throw was just under 3'-11'

A 7' Throw isn't really what I would consider "Short" as far as the limitations that some screens or screen paints can present, so certainly, the ALR Paint application shown in the linked-to thread below will do you a terrific job.

Painting Onto A 106" Tab Tensioned Screen with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0

That said, you can accomplish a "good" screen using a more simple, less expensive paint solution.

1 part RustOleum White Pearl
2 parts Glidden Diamond tinted to "Veil"
1 part Varathane Clear Matte Polyurethane
Thin with Filtered Water to the desired viscosity.

The more advanced, higher performance ALR Screen paint in the Thread requires spraying.

The simpler, somewhat less effective Paint just above can be rolled.

BTW..."less effective" does not mean undesirable...just "not as effective" at delivering ALR performance and as vibrant an image.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions

Last edited by MississippiMan; 01-28-2017 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Corrected Throw distance from 3'-5' to 3'-11'
post #3 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, MississippiMan, I really appreciate the help. I don't think that spraying's going to be an option for me, so I'll start sourcing out the parts for the second mix recommended.

Just to clarify - I can't find a colour called "white pearlecent" - I'm guessing that's the same White Pearl metallic recommended in the SilverFire mix? I wouldn't normally be so specific, but I know how paint colour names can go.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 01:03 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

White Pearl it is.

post #5 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 626
If you have the time (and the Lowe's is nearby) ask about the ability to return that Rustoleum and poly if they don't work out. Then try comparing a sample of that mix beside a sample of just the Glidden "Veil" to see for yourself whether you notice any positive difference for the mix.

You can't usually return tinted paint (such as the Glidden "Veil"), but untinted product like the poly and Rustoleum can often be returned if you only use a small amount and let the store know that it didn't work out like you wanted.
The plain Glidden "Veil" all by itself should look very similar to this mix (just a hair darker and a touch cleaner/clearer compared to the mix), but the Glidden alone will cost about 1/4 as much as the Glidden+Rustoleum+poly.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #6 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 07:35 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If you have the time (and the Lowe's is nearby) ask about the ability to return that Rustoleum and poly if they don't work out. Then try comparing a sample of that mix beside a sample of just the Glidden "Veil" to see for yourself whether you notice any positive difference for the mix.
I mean really...you come late to the party, after the OP has reviewed the information...and a well documented example of a successful application, made a decision, and then suggest that he return what he doesn't use if he thinks it doesn't work out.

What's the purpose...or motive behind such advice? The OP will be using all of what is in each container....not a small amount. Even the most cursory look at the information provided would / should make that patently clear. I suppose I could have listed the "Parts" as being "Quarts" so that someone might not get confused.....right?

And how many times have you see a member post about how he had to start over after following my suggestions on what Mix he should use?

And if he's looking for ambient light resistance without undue attenuation, suggesting that the Glidden tinted to Veil alone would be "as good as" the mix I suggested is crazy. I purposefully held to suggesting a more conservative Mix than the one highlighted in my Thread, and even with that, such a mix would easily outperform a simple tinted Mix.

Certainly I, or you, or anyone could suggest something such as a simple Flat Enamel tinted to Veil, and let the OP go on to a more mundane end result. But that is not how I roll. I want people to realize something just a bit more special...from proven methods I staunchly stand behind.

If your just doing what you do so often..offering a contrary opinion, try doing it a bit sooner, as is your right to do so...and especially try to avoid making suggestions that make no sense such as returning Paint when in fact there would be next to nothing to return...even if 20 to 24 oz from each container of Pearl & Poly was used.

And BTW...a gallon of Glidden cost $21.00...a quart of Pearl $24.00, and the Poly $16.00

$21.00 vs $61.00 does not equate to being 1/4 the cost. Barely 1/3rd...and the extra $40.00 still is not an extravagant difference considering the gains to be had.

post #7 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!

The mix you suggested will not have a ton of gain beyond that of the plain Glidden "Veil", both will be ~N8grey surfaces with about 0.55-0.60gain.
If the store is nearby and Forristal decides the Glidden alone looks the same as the mix to their eyes, why not save $40?

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #8 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 03:55 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Ftoast,

You wrong on every count.

You did not first suggest he try a small amount of the Mix. You said "Then"...after you stated he should try to return any balance left over. Confusing at best...

Even if that weren't the case, suggesting that he open up Containers and leach out enough to do experiments is a less than honest way to treat the Vendor. I can see the OP asking the vendor "Can I take some out of these cans and see if I can do some experimenting? If I'm not happy...can I return them and let you absorb the loss?
Sheesh.
It's wholly unnecessary anyway...he'll get the results he's wanting...the first time around.

You are ridiculously low on your estimate of the gain. But that's nothing new when your trying to dissuade somebody from doing as I suggest, and / or what they have already determined to do.

You've seen a couple ("2") members who were dissatisfied, eh?
Wow.
Out of a couple hundred+. Well almost certainly the fault lay with their not following painting instructions, or substituting ingredients. That's not an argument, just a almost certainty. Or perhaps just not knowing what they were expecting. Truthfully, I recall that you almost goaded them into their being unhappy with your own comments beforehand. In any case the instance of reported error is so low...again...it is silly inconsequential. My record helping people realize their goals...and do so with aplomb stands by itself just fine.

Yes, the OP can decide to do whatever he wants to do...and he did decide.
His is a simple thing to accomplish, and needs not be mucked with by starting him down the useless road of testing small samples, just because you think he should do so to save $40.00.

Insert your opinions and suggestions in a timely manner...or refrain from running 13th hour interference. I do not intrude upon your responses when people are already set upon a path...return the courtesy and these discourses won't be necessary.

post #9 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Ftoast,

You wrong on every count.
Spoiler!

I said to check with the vendor about returns beforehand, then test using small amounts, then only return the unused ingredients if they aren't giving satisfying results while letting the vendor know exactly that. I want everyone to be honest and clear.

About how high should the gain from your suggested mix be?

I've seen a couple recent members of this forum who needed to repaint their screens after trying what you suggested didn't work well. Counting members on two other forums I've seen a few other recent accounts of the same as well as a few others which aren't recent. I'm sure all of the fault is their own and mine..None of the blame is yours.
Keep in mind I'm only mentioning all this because you pointedly asked.

I'm not sure why you'd be so firmly set against the OP testing for their own eyes whether the extra $40 is worth it or not. They'll already have the ingredients to do so either way. The only harm is knowing for sure which they prefer and possibly saving some money.

No big deal. Just trying to help because I've had a lot of experience mixing that Rustoleum metallic with flat/matte paint and poly, and a lot of experience comparing its gain side-by-side other screens and paints.
If you don't like me sharing what I've learned with other members so that they can also benefit from that experience..um..sorry?.

post #10 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, guys - following this discussion closely.

Ftoast, I appreciate your wanting to save me money, but I spent a ton of time reading through threads before making my own, and I'm willing to trust MississippiMan's opinion. I had originally intended on buying and using a premade screen, and would be remiss if I didn't feel like I'd done everything I could to try to get the best level of impact possible from a paint solution (... short of spraying - it's just not an option in the environment, and I don't have the skill if it were).

On that count, unfortunately, I then had to break from MississippiMan's instructions and substitute. Against all odds, I ended up finding the right paints in town (Canadian paints are rarely the same as the ones found south of the border) - but I just couldn't find the right polyurethane. I managed to find a similar product, same brand, still water-based, still clear, still matte. I'm hoping it's going to turn out.

One coat up already and looking pretty smooth, and I'm happy with where the colour is headed. I'll post pictures after I get another couple of coats up. Looking forward to seeing the impact this paint has over the light brown/beige I've been watching on previously.

Thanks to both of you for trying to set me in the right direction.
Ftoast likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Forristal,

Of all the ingredients involved, a Clear, Matte water based Polyurethane is the least likely to affect results if substituted. You should have no worries.

It's also comforting to know you have the skills needed at Polling. All to often, when rolling is a persons only option, it also becomes the source of disappointing results, especially so when the paint has metallic content.

Looking very much forward to your impressions (...and photos...) of the end results.

post #12 of 19 Old 01-29-2017, 06:39 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Ftoast,

It shakes out like this.

Using a few...very very few proportionately...widely dispersed examples of people having one issue or another as reason to warn off everyone else from a product or method is not doing the "majority" any service. Those who tend to do so usually have another agenda in mind...getting people to do what "they" would have them do instead.

So making much ado over little is what they do. And some do in fact make it a vendetta of sorts, for their own reasons and motives.

When it happens that someone does it consistently....on every thread or after every posting someone makes, it tends to point out as being exactly that sort of thing happening. Of course they'll deny such is the case...but the truth is there for others to see, and see it they do, if not immediately, eventually.

After years of having gone through having a few various individuals attempt such antics, you bet I'm gonna call a spade a spade.

And yes....I feel strongly that enough progress has been made in DIY Screen painting that suggesting that NOOBs waste time & money on testing little samples is just silly. I'm fully capable of reading all that goes into a person's situation and making a precise recommendation. And in doing so I will accept the end results...along with the plaudits or pundits that come from doing so.

There is no arm twisting going on in DIY Screen painting. Anyone can follow their own path. But those who hang out signs that can misdirect people into going down twisted routes when the path forward should be, and easily can be straight and narrow....well, they need some serious re-adjustments to their GPS.

post #13 of 19 Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll not sure why you're choosing to continue this, but I guess I'll respond.
Spoiler!
I only counted cases from people not involved with your past enemies (the hometheatershack forum mods don't have complaints like that anyway), and I only brought up those cases because you directly asked me to.

I don't consider this thread to be something that could go wrong for the OP in any way like those examples you awkwardly requested. I know from experience and actual side-by-side comparison that mixing such a low ratio of RustSS with matte paint and poly will not significantly increase the gain beyond the natural gain of the result's color and matte-finish. Taking into account how small of an impact that amount of Rust Pearl has on the overall color as well, it's more of a clever placebo than anything else in this particular mix. A little added expense for the OP, but no other harm done.

To push gain significantly above the natural ~0.55gain of the "Veil" you'd be looking more toward a 3:2:1 or 2:1:1 ratio of RustP+Veil+poly. That would push the mix's gain up around 0.8 although it would be best to use a slightly darker Glidden like "Dover Grey"/"OONN 45/000" at that point to keep the same color despite the higher amount of white/pearl being added.
Alternatively, you could use the more potent Rust SterlingSilver metallic instead of the Pearl at your original 1:2:1 ratio of RustSS+Veil+poly and the color would hardly be affected..that should likewise give a ~N7.8 grey with ~0.8gain.
At the low ratio you're suggesting, that RustPearl will not be very effective at all.
Which is fine. If OP never sees it beside the plain matte "Veil", they'll simply never realize how similar they perform. Plus using an ineffective amount of metallic practically guarantees smooth results just like plain matte-grey.
Like I said, no harm done either way..just a little extra money.

If you're sure the gain in your suggested mix will be significantly higher than ~0.55-0.6, how high are you thinking it goes?.. 0.8gain? 0.9? Less?
Have you compared it next to anything or do you simply remember it being bright?

Last edited by Ftoast; 01-29-2017 at 02:49 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

I cannot fathom where you get the idea that a 1/3rd Metallic Ratio enhanced 7.8 Munsel Gray would be just .5 gain.

Universal Gray is 8.3, and by itself has been measured out at .85 gain.

Silver Screen (Behr) measures out at .8 Gain, and it's virtually the same shade...without any metallic content or Poly...as Veil.

The OP is Rolling...and my advice to stick with a lower metallic content supplemented with being thinned with Poly is both wise and well advised. If he was spraying, absolutely I would advise otherwise.

And somehow you have an idea that the reflectivity of the Silver Metallic is greater than the Pearl. That Sir, is dead wrong. The primary purpose of using Silver Metallic was to have the presence of both Mica and a darker Gray base. Omit the SM and under some circumstances, the SM's Gray base can be substituted by a Tint in the required White base, and the missing Mica replaced by upping the Pearlescent content.

Also...Silver Metallic...any Brand Silver Metallic (...except Liquitex...) has "Black Mica" within it's composition, and too often it manifests it's self as tiny Black Specks. Also, the discrepency between the Dark Base, the Bright Mica and Dark Mica can produce the undesirable trait of Graininess.

Most every aspect of the Formulas I present are tendered to reduce that deleterious effect. You need only make note of how far reduced the percentage of Silver Metallic has been in Silver Fire to understand that.

Oh...it's a great thing you and others have taken to using SM to up the ante....even those "enemies" you referred to... It's better than not having it. But just like those others were hold-outs for so long against using "any" Mica-based Metallic, your rushing to dismiss valid findings that are backed by far more actual experience and End User results than you can dredge up.

White Pearl was / has been a mainstay of every Mix I have ever created since the first MississippiMud 1:1:1 mix hit the Forum Boards. It offers enhanced reflectivity without adding the attenuation that having a Gray base brings along.

If the OP does not need as aggressive a ALR paint that the Veil base will offer, he can either switch to Universal Gray, or cut the veil mix with more Glidden (...he will have 1/2 gallon left, ya know...) and then add a equal amount of the remaining Pearl & Poly as well. That will still maintain a easy roll-ability.

You see...there is a lot of flexibility in the suggested mix, and the OP has the ability to ask for advice at anytime. But he needs to get correct advice based on well documented results by others, and just because your seemingly new to realizing what the inherent properties of the suggested mix will have, that doesn't make then any less valid.

post #15 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I cannot fathom where you get the idea that a 1/3rd Metallic Ratio enhanced 7.8 Munsel Gray would be just .5 gain.

Universal Gray is 8.3, and by itself has been measured out at .85 gain.
Spoiler!

Plain flat "Universal Grey" is both measured and spec'ed at 0.62 gain (measured with professional instruments as well as spec'ed by Glidden directly). I'm curious where you saw its gain claimed as high as 0.85. You realize many of the Glidden codes have flat gain/reflectance right in there along with distance from neutral, right? I know it kind of blew my mind once I realized that after missing it for so long.

As for my knowledge of the mix's gain (which you oddly misquoted), simple...I've taken the time to test several ratios using the Rustoleum Pearl and also the Rustoleum SterlingSilver, one at a time. Both with and without poly. Being able to directly compare mixes side-by-side has been a tremendously helpful learning experience.
The difference in metallic gain/potency between the SterlingSilver and the Pearl is huge, the SterlingSilver is roughly 4X more potent. I'm a bit concerned that you haven't figured this out for yourself with all the painting you've done over the years. It's easy to compare these things, so it's strange that you don't already know. If you don't want to believe all of this simply because you don't like me as a source, I strongly urge you to test it out for yourself. You've always been a very loud voice here on AVS..the more accurate your information is, the better everyone will fare.

If you find something you'd like help with (or numbers/comparisons) I'm willing to help because it means passing along beneficial information that you'll in-turn pass along to many others.
I never shy away from others wanting to test/compare my claims for themselves because I've already taken the time to do the same and am confident their findings will mirror my own.

post #16 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate what you guys are doing, but the Veil is already on the wall. Even if it weren't, I've seen it recommended in a few other places also, and I'm inclined to try it on the back of numbers alone.

Plus, I was aiming for a sub-1.0 gain screen anyway. If ProjectorCentral's calculator can be trusted, I'm about about the limit of appropriate brightness for my screen size/throw distance, and 0.7-0.8 won't be the worst thing to happen to me.

At this point, I have three coats of the Veil mixture up, and it's looking pretty good. The colour has a little less depth than I'd like, but I haven't started calibrating yet. So long as the gray is neutral (sure seems that way) I can get the colour corrected.

In cursory tests, I'm already noticing an impact on the amount of ancillary light that splashes into the rest of the room, and it may be my imagination but I feel like I got better performance with the lights on than I had previously.

I'll keep you updated on how things go. For science, I might even try a couple of other paint experiments on a sheet of MDF before I call it quits.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

A man of action.........

Getten'it dun.

post #18 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!

The veil should work fine as you're using it, yes..plus it's a common recommendation with other mixes since it's natural gain (with or without some metallic assistance) is often well-matched with modern projector brightness at the sizes most commonly used in home theaters.

ProjectorCentral itself warns that their brightness calculator is inaccurate, but yes, your projector should be good at that size below 0.9,gain nonetheless

If you'd like any recommendations from me of paint mixes to try on some MDF sheets, feel free to ask..particularly if you feel like you'd like a little more of something or a little less of something else.

post #19 of 19 Old Today, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forristal View Post
I appreciate what you guys are doing, but the Veil is already on the wall. Even if it weren't, I've seen it recommended in a few other places also, and I'm inclined to try it on the back of numbers alone.

Plus, I was aiming for a sub-1.0 gain screen anyway. If ProjectorCentral's calculator can be trusted, I'm about about the limit of appropriate brightness for my screen size/throw distance, and 0.7-0.8 won't be the worst thing to happen to me.

At this point, I have three coats of the Veil mixture up, and it's looking pretty good. The colour has a little less depth than I'd like, but I haven't started calibrating yet. So long as the gray is neutral (sure seems that way) I can get the colour corrected.

In cursory tests, I'm already noticing an impact on the amount of ancillary light that splashes into the rest of the room, and it may be my imagination but I feel like I got better performance with the lights on than I had previously.

I'll keep you updated on how things go. For science, I might even try a couple of other paint experiments on a sheet of MDF before I call it quits.
So how'd this turn out?

JVC DLA-RS420
Denon AVR-x4300h
Klipsch RF7ii x 2
Klipsch RC-64ii
Klipsch RS-62ii x 2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
gray , paint , screen , short throw