Spandex vs Paint dedicated HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Spandex vs Paint dedicated HT

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times, but in the 100,000 threads I've read I cant convince myself I've found a clear answer...

1.Does spandex (specifically Carls) have better or worse image quality than a novice DIY sprayed wall?
2a. If spandex is better/equal to which combination should I get?
2b. If Paint is better, what's a relatively simple DIY mix for my setup (MM signal has been lit).

Image quality is most important to me, AT would be cool to but not an absolute necessity in my setup. I'll post some pictures tonight as well.

Setup:
Room: 12.6x22
BenQ 2050 (10-14 Ft ceiling mounted, have flexibility)
Looking for 125-135in 16:9 diagonal screen size
Black Ceilings
Dark Gray Walls
100% light control
Movies:40% Sports: 25% TV:25% Gaming:10%

First home and first dabble into a dedicated HT so be gentle. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Carl's sells an AT screen material, but not spandex.. I'll try to give the main differences between all three.

A painted wall is able to give a brighter image than either AT material will reach, and it's able to give the cleanest crispest image overall, but it obviously won't do if you're hoping to mount speakers behind it.

The Carl's AT material can't get as bright as a decent flat/matte white paint, but it's still brighter than spandex.. However the Carl's AT material weave can appear visually textured/bumpy if you're sitting fairly close to the screen and some people may not like that if the seats are around 10ft or closer.
It's only about $1 for a sample of their fabric, so I suggest buying that to check out at your seating-distance to see how you like it.

The spandex will be dimmer than either of the above and its image can look a little softer-focused by compare, but it'll give a smoother surface then other AT screens which is great if you'll be sitting somewhat close.

At the size you're aiming for with that great PJ and in that well-setup room I don't believe brightness will be a problem for any of these, BUT the spandex may be dimmer than you'd like if you're a big 3D fan.
If you want AT and are a 3D lover, the Carl's AT is definitely something to consider, but get a sample first to make sure you aren't bothered by its texture from your particular seating-distance.
If going AT isn't terribly important, it's really hard to beat a painted wall.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2017, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Carl's sells an AT screen material, but not spandex.. I'll try to give the main differences between all three.

A painted wall is able to give a brighter image than either AT material will reach, and it's able to give the cleanest crispest image overall, but it obviously won't do if you're hoping to mount speakers behind it.

The Carl's AT material can't get as bright as a decent flat/matte white paint, but it's still brighter than spandex.. However the Carl's AT material weave can appear visually textured/bumpy if you're sitting fairly close to the screen and some people may not like that if the seats are around 10ft or closer.
It's only about $1 for a sample of their fabric, so I suggest buying that to check out at your seating-distance to see how you like it.

The spandex will be dimmer than either of the above and its image can look a little softer-focused by compare, but it'll give a smoother surface then other AT screens which is great if you'll be sitting somewhat close.

At the size you're aiming for with that great PJ and in that well-setup room I don't believe brightness will be a problem for any of these, BUT the spandex may be dimmer than you'd like if you're a big 3D fan.
If you want AT and are a 3D lover, the Carl's AT is definitely something to consider, but get a sample first to make sure you aren't bothered by its texture from your particular seating-distance.
If going AT isn't terribly important, it's really hard to beat a painted wall.

Thank You! Thank You! That's exactly what I was looking for. I haven't had much 3D experience, but could see myself wanting to watch more now that I've got a dedicated area for it. I will stick with painting the wall if the picture is better/as good since I'm not concerned with speakers being hidden.

I've seen the hundreds of DIY paint variations, is there a specific (relatively simple to mix) paint you could recommend for my setup? I get lost in paint talk and verbiage despite my best efforts haha.

My father in-law was a painter for awhile, so I'm going to have him apply it (open to spraying or rolling). I've read spraying is preferred, but I have full confidence in his rolling ability as well if it will look comparable to avoid having to shield the newly finished basement from the paint dust.
Thanks again for breaking down the differences, HUGE help.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Depending on where you'll be buying the paint, two great options are:
Glidden Diamond Interior Flat/Matte Base-1 (around $25/gallon at HomeDepot)
or
ColorPlace Interior Flat Light-Base (around $10/gallon at Walmart).

My current "screen" in a similarly black/dark-colored room is the inexpensive ColorPlace flat Light-Base which is surrounded by black fabric to make an adjustable border around the screen. I've been able to compare it to several manufactured/sold screen samples and it has never fallen short.

Flat/matte paint is excellent at hiding small imperfections (the ColorPlace I used is surprisingly good at concealing larger imperfections), so rolling it into a decently smooth wall is basically guaranteed to look great. With a border around it (or darker-colored walls) the screen disappears behind the projected image.

I recommend getting plain "Base-1" or "Light-Base" instead of most paints called grab'n'go White because many of those pre-made "white" paints will have a slightly blue-ish or red-ish tint. The "Light-Base" on the other hand, is typically the purest white you can find...which can be a little boring as wall-coloring but excellent as a projector screen.
Paints calling themselves "white" aren't going to be terrible, so don't worry too much, but the "Light-Base" or "Base-1" can be a tiny bit better.

It also doesn't hurt to ask the person working at the paint area "can you please add 2ounces (or 2Y at Walmart) of white KX pigment to my gallon?".
Since these particular recommended paints can accept tint, adding some of this pure white KX will help the paint be as absolutely bright and white as possible and it potentially helps it cover in fewer coats.
Again, it won't end the world if you don't do this, but it's free and can help a little.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #5 of 6 Old 05-06-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 165
AT screens were the most amazing upgrade in my journey in this Hometheater hobby. I love deep bass and sealed subs, im sure Atmos will be a great upgrade, but AT is what makes it a movie

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 405
In my opinion the beauty of a painted wall is painting the entire wall, so you can change the picture size at will.

I did not paint my wall, I just screened the entire wall, but the same concept. Being able to change the picture size is something that is great with this projector,the 2050 as a simple zoom and lens shift takes a minute or less and makes a huge difference.

Fast moving action can be shrunk and 3d can be made as large as possible.........once you have the ability to change picture size, the upside in doing it becomes a big advantage........

A little extra prep work and 10 bucks in paint is a small price for huge versatility.

I mounted my PJ at a distance where I could enlarge the zoom as big as would fit on my wall, leaving the ability to zoom/shrink the picture the maximum amount giving me the entire sweep of the sizes available with the lens zoom.

From memory was about a 30 inch diagonal difference......approx 108 to 138 diagonal in my installation......I am sure that ratio changes based on PJ distance.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page