AVS Forum banner

Sintra "edgeless" Alternatives

2K views 27 replies 3 participants last post by  MississippiMan 
#1 ·
Located Down Under, and it is literally impossible for me to find any sintra boards over 98".
Whats the next best alternative to achieve that floating edgeless/flatpanel like design that many here have created??
Cheers

#2 ·
A Framed Fabric Screen that is then Painted.

Stretched Fabric such as Flexi-White (1st Choice...needs a lighter weight Frame)
Stretched Fabric such as Black Out Cloth (2nd Choice....Frame needs to be more robust)
Gypsium Drywall on a Frame or directly applied to Wall, Taped, Mud'ded and skimmed (3rd Choice...least expensive...but heaviest if Framed.)

#3 ·
Carls vs Paint

If I'm going to use fabric I might as well as use Carls ALR. Since I haven't researched/painted a screen in a stupid long time, how do all the new mixes compare with Carls ALR.

Situation:
Room is an open living space light will be on majority of the time.
Windows with a roller blind right next to the screen
Optoma HD25-LV which is "3500 Lumens"
Photos in next post

#11 ·
The CineGrey3D and Carl's ALR are very similar to each other while the CineGrey5D is a bit more aggressive and a little higher-gain. All three will help colors look less washed-out while still keeping them bright.
The CineGrey3D tends to be the favorite between the 3D and 5D, but there are also folks who prefer the 5D for its added aggressiveness or on-axis brightness.

Both the Elite CineGrey3D Designer Cut Series and the CineGrey5D Designer Cut Series are available for a little less than a 110" piece of Carl's ALR material..so the CineGrey3D can be a good alternative to carls ALR as long as you don't need it to be larger than 135".
I believe the CineGrey Designer Cut Series material is still selling around $90-$100.

#15 ·
Your hd25lv projector's throw-ratio is listed at 1.5:1 or longer which will pair very well with ALR screens.
That fairly long throw-ratio will help avoid visible hotspotting by giving the screen a more uniform direction of projected light.
The slightly less aggressive CineGrey3D or Carl's ALR material will also have less risk of hotspotting than the more aggressive 5D.
Carl's ALR is shipped on a roll instead of folded by default (I believe all three of these may be). The roll means a longer and more expensive package, but it means you won't have to fix folds/creases.

Shipping any other fabric (even with the intention to paint it), you'll still want to avoid folds/creases, so shipping is going to cost a similar amount no matter what you get unless it's local.

Your projector's vertical offset (when ceiling-mounted) works well with Angular-Reflective style ALR screens, which is luckily the most common style for most paint-mixes and most manufacturer screens...both CineGrey 3D and 5D as well as Carl's ALR are Angular-Reflexive instead of Retro-Reflective, so they all work best with the projector ceiling-mounted and the viewers sitting down.

#19 ·
What isn't being considered is the expense in shipping in a Roll, beyond the 20.00 up-charge, the cost of shipping a 60" + long tube will be an eye opener, if indeed a "deal breaker".

And if folded, the ALR materials involved all have decidedly more issues with creases....defects that will NOT go away.
I no of no instance where the CineGray is / was shipped folded, and it's doubtful the Carl's ALR material is either. That being the case, I can state from personal experience that shipping "anything" in a well packed Tube 60"+ long via International Air Freight (FedEx/UPS/USPS) will cost more than either of the materials themselves.

Really, suggesting otherwise, and without really knowing what is / is not possible isn't doing rayan1910 any favors here. But all it takes is checking it out with the suppliers, so why all this conjecture?

Between the Carl's ALR and the CineGrey3D Designer Cut Series, I would double check to see if either offers a usable guarantee to arrive in perfect condition..if neither does, I'd opt for whichever is less expensive at the time because their performance is quite close.
If shipping on a roll all the way to you is ridiculously expensive, paint is a great second choice.
The last part of the first sentence make little sense...unless one simply wants to chance taking a loss. And even if either would offer a Return for refund / credit, one can be certain the return freight would be on the Buyer's ticket.

So that makes the last sentence the most believable, and if the Wall cannot be effectively smoothed to virtual perfection, the Carl's Flexi painted (...or in Gray...) is the most sensible route to take.

A lot of wasted time here on this back and forth...

#25 ·
Well, you must account for whatever amount of the Fabric must be pulled over the Frame Edge and stapled. (Top and Bottom)

Say 2" at each location... that will leave you with 55" view-able height, which @ 16:9 translates to being 112" diagonal (98" wide)

Now just need to focus on the paint itself. Has anyone used the sonicchill1 paint mixes??
No one on this Forum has posted anything about it. At this juncture it's pretty much an unknown...and aside from the "Creator's" own videos and attestations and a few of those who purchased it and tried it (...and only a few unhappy people ever come back to express remorse anyway....) your pretty much dependent upon your own decision making.

Just remember this....because of how a Camera samples and meters a bright Video image, such a presentation can look splendidly better than it does in real life. Screen shots can also do a similar job of deceiving, if the image is constrained within the Camera's viewing field. Videos and Images taken from the furthest possible distance are the most accurate, as they include "all the variables" as far as light / lighting, and the effect such has on image quality.

The sonicchill1 paint seems to be a OZ-based item, no doubt a copied rendering from one mix or another from this Forum, as is 99% of everything else out there these days. As such, it might...or might not be a value as far as price. Probably not though. :rolleyes:

But you can weigh out the potential savings, and if it does pan out, I'm sure many future OZ-onians will appreciate your review.

#26 ·
..........and BTW.....looking at the videos themselves, the Blacks shown are really not all that great. Kinda Gray looking actually.

Only the one shot in a darker, semi dark environment using the Ultra Mica (Best) looked all that great, and that was with a UHD image with HDR.

Yep...going back and looking at the Vids', it's gonna be all about price and your willingness to give it a shot.

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.