AT screen Sound treatment idea...... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old Today, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 154
AT screen Sound treatment idea......

I was listening to my new room the other day, trying to quantify the sound of my new Spandex screen.

It sounded good, but it was weird, i was left with a feeling that my speakers were behind something, i could hear them fine, but it sounded like they were hehind something:0/

I remember insulating the area behind my screen in my last room, so i purchased some Zippered Pillow cases off ebay, (6) for $11, and loosely stuffed them with pink fluffy insulation. I ended up using a dozen of them, also moved the mains a little closer to the screen. So i placed them on the sides and inbetween the LCR, above and behind, kinda entombed them. I dont feel that it deadened to any degree that took away from the soundtracks i played while listening.

So, insulate around ur speakers if ur going AT and see if the sound is better.......Im not saying i invented the idea of insulating hahaha, just suggest the zippered pillowcases.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; Today at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 08:16 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Moving the Mains closer almost assuredly had more impact on your sound than did the insulation.

Distance allows for reflection, and reflection is NOT absorption / pass-through. The Spandex is extremely transparent, but after sound waves have even a wee bit of expansion of their wave forms, they will lose their penetration potential and be attenuated (Combed).

This same issue is plainly apparent in AT materials that are less transparent (Perforated, or with more Solid / Thicker Woven threads), although in such instances, often distance from the surface is less the issue than is the inability of the material to allow sound frequencies to easily pass through unrestricted.

Ideally, the distance between a Speaker and the Spandex should be as minimal as possible. 1/2" is not too close.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page