AT Screen, speaker baffle proximity - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By partcrash

post #1 of 10 Old 08-05-2017, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 174
AT Screen, speaker baffle proximity

Is the idea to get the main LCR as close to the screen as possible ? My mains are above ear level to get them centered on the screens height, I found it distracting when they were lower. I aim them kinda down to the LP, which creates some distance to the Spandex material, I did white over black..........

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-05-2017, 10:24 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
How much of an angle "you kinda aim them down" will spell the difference. The suggested distance between the front edges of the speaker Cones / HF Drivers is....as short as possible. Under 2"-3". The HF Dives are the most crucial, and since most speaker designs have them toward the top of a speaker Cabinet, you'll want to place them so that the top edge of the speaker is virtually / almost flush with the inside surface of the spandex . But not touching, obviously.

It should not take all that severe an angle to get your sound going toward the direction your wanting, so at most the bottom edge of the speaker cabinet would be 2"-3" recessed.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 10 Old 08-05-2017, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just glanced at them back there, oh wow, they are about 6" away, let me make some changes and see how it changes the sound

post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Now there is the issue of tow-in distance that creates

post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 02:45 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

As long as thee is only 3"-4" distance at most from the furthest corner's edge away from the Spandex, it's bound to be better than any further distance would be.

Not really anything more you can do other than create a shallow recess in the Wall for the most inward corner.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
As long as thee is only 3"-4" distance at most from the furthest corner's edge away from the Spandex, it's bound to be better than any further distance would be.

Not really anything more you can do other than create a shallow recess in the Wall for the most inward corner.
I ended up pushing them flush with the screen, time will tell

post #7 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
I ended up pushing them flush with the screen, time will tell
I have found the hard way that if your LCR speakers have any bass to them they will make the screen shimmer/ vibrate if too close... obviously ymmv depending on tension of the screen material and amount of bass coming from the speakers... what is your LCR crossover set to? I found at 70hz mine affected the screen
Ftoast likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 06:37 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
I have found the hard way that if your LCR speakers have any bass to them they will make the screen shimmer/ vibrate if too close... obviously ymmv depending on tension of the screen material and amount of bass coming from the speakers... what is your LCR crossover set to? I found at 70hz mine affected the screen
Most of those who have used 2 or 3-way Cabinet Speakers or In-Walls have found that the amount of cone excursion, and the resulting air displacement is not enough to affect Spandex, because Spandex is far more permeable than conventional, more denser AT material. The air pressure passes through with less resistance. Conventional AT material suffers from resisting such displaced air, affecting sound transmission in the process.

Those who have very large, dedicated Bass Cabinets don't have to place them in such close proximity, because there is virtually no combing or attenuation of such low frequencies. However common sense would dictate that any long excursion Bass Driver that pushes out considerable air pressure would not / should not be placed to close to any denser, more restrictive material.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Most of those who have used 2 or 3-way Cabinet Speakers or In-Walls have found that the amount of cone excursion, and the resulting air displacement is not enough to affect Spandex, because Spandex is far more permeable than conventional, more denser AT material. The air pressure passes through with less resistance. Conventional AT material suffers from resisting such displaced air, affecting sound transmission in the process.

Those who have very large, dedicated Bass Cabinets don't have to place them in such close proximity, because there is virtually no combing or attenuation of such low frequencies. However common sense would dictate that any long excursion Bass Driver that pushes out considerable air pressure would not / should not be placed to close to any denser, more restrictive material.
I never went back to move em forward, my bad. Now that i have them in a location closer to the screen, i'll prop em up, aiming them down alittle.

As long as they point at my head, there isnt a real issue to having them above ear level, is there ? I had my screen directly in front of my LP and quickly raised it up, ear level and eye level just wasnt comfortable. Bottom of the screen is at 32" now, 100" wide and 12' away.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
As long as they point at my head, there isn't a real issue to having them above ear level, is there?* I had my screen directly in front of my LP and quickly raised it up, ear level and eye level just wasn't comfortable. Bottom of the screen is at 32" now, 100" wide and 12' away.
Your all good. The direction of dispersion, combined with the location of the listening level, that is what dictates effective performance....and you seem to be able to head that direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page